Diva 2 Wishlist (purely hypothetical, nothing in development)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

machinesworking wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:08 am
Urs wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:48 am user_id=116627]The alternative is adding "engines" or something like we have in Hive. I don't know how beneficial this would be for Diva.
My vote is for this. I love that Hive 2 overwrites 1. My least favorite thing about being on OS X is the constant slash and burn Apple does, so to me anyway it makes more sense to have to maybe possibly go in and tweak an old Diva 1 preset rather than having U-He recode Diva 1 for some OS update that breaks it etc. In the bigger picture this is much better than having to have multiple copies of the same plug in to preserve old songs etc.
x2 totaly agree. Engines would be enough i think and no need to design a new filter. But come to think of doesnt quality part already works as "engines" already?
As an example Draft mode filters arent zero delay feedback, but the sound isnt bad at all, its still great, it actually makes overal sound a bit brighter when its needed, only resonance isnt as pleasant as with higher quality modes :)

Maybe just to add on top:
1. a distortion unit
2. chorus like in colour copy?
3. Simplified unison detuning, because manualy detuning every voice is sometimes a bit tedious
4. White/pink noise to osc modulation
Last edited by Elektronisch on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Diva is my faforit synth, I'v used it in most tracks and build a lot of presets. I realy like the analog sound and the ability to mix a moog with a roland, or a korg withj a oberheim.
I would like some more modules, maybe the repro-1 and -5 modules, the roland sh-101 filter, and maybe some other classic modules like arp2500/2600, oddissey, andromeda, sh-5, oscar and cs-80.
Maybe a bether Arp and a much bether modulation like hive and repro offer.
Maybe Pigments can give you also some inspiration to make the modulation more visible.
Soundwise Diva still rocks after 7 years and I hope Diva 2 will stay backward compatible like Hive 2 !!!

- More filter options, like the Wasp filter. I love my Doepfer Wasp module..
- A really good wavefolder would be nice to have.
- High quality overdrive/distortion fx.
- FG and Shape seq from Hive :)
- Foremost I would like to be able to do more simple FM and audiorate things.

cnt wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:38 am - More filter options, like the Wasp filter. I love my Doepfer Wasp module..
- A really good wavefolder would be nice to have.
- High quality overdrive/distortion fx.
- FG and Shape seq from Hive :)
- Foremost I would like to be able to do more simple FM and audiorate things.
I think adding FG and shape sequencers wouldnt make such a big gab between Diva and Hive :)

I thought already that Hive 1.x was a bit more the same as Diva minus the spirit of analogue :)

Elektronisch wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:39 amspirit of analogue
Hive is more the spirit of modular, disguised as a candy bar.

Urs wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:51 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:39 amspirit of analogue
Hive is more the spirit of modular, disguised as a candy bar.
Isnt the same with Diva then ? you can change the modules :D

Urs wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:48 am The dilemma with Diva is, we would love to upgrade her with the filter technology we use in Repro (faster and therefore could get higher cutoff etc). But that will probably have to be a V2. And a Diva V2 is a project very similar to Zebra3. The alternative is adding "engines" or something like we have in Hive. I don't know how beneficial this would be for Diva.
Totally get the challenge. Faster (assuming that means CPU efficient) filters with higher cutoff and better FM would lead many to question, "why is the old engine even there?" That would make no sense if Diva2 were a separate plugin. But, if v2 were going to be a drop-in replacement for v1 like Hive, then you almost have to create engines as not to impact recall of existing projects.

If I had a vote: I'd say take the extra time after everything else on the roadmap is caught up, and go for a new, separate plugin, Diva2. Even if that meant 2022. But if you guys said, "hey, we can put something together way faster (say early 2021) with new filter tech in a new engine and just keep the same .dll" then I certainly wouldn't begrudge you for that either.

Urs wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:51 pm the spirit of modular, disguised as a candy bar
We should use this as Hive's slogan on the website.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:04 pm
Urs wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:51 pm the spirit of modular, disguised as a candy bar
We should use this as Hive's slogan on the website.
hehehe

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:04 pmIf I had a vote: I'd say take the extra time after everything else on the roadmap is caught up, and go for a new, separate plugin, Diva2. Even if that meant 2022. But if you guys said, "hey, we can put something together way faster (say early 2021) with new filter tech in a new engine and just keep the same .dll" then I certainly wouldn't begrudge you for that either.
I think the 2022 approach is my favourite.

As for the tech in Repro vs. Diva, the mathematical result can never be the same. A version of Diva with Repro's filter maths would sound different. I haven't had the time to really compare things, and I'm sure it would take half a year or more. It would be like starting from scratch.

Diva2.

Integrates with an iPad version seamlessly. When both are working, the iPad version becomes a low/no latency module - either synth block(s) or, perhaps easier, effects (while the PC is synth).

Add that to the "out there" column. 😀

Yeah no way that would be a low latency thing. :D

It's technically possible (see studiomux over a cable... If you can get it working still). Just not easy. Thus the wishlist 😬👍

DX7 / TX - Fm Operators, fits the era even though it's digital!

What about something very different? like looking at analog-modeling synths? there's a lot of really fantastic analog-modeled synths out there that have never really been jumped to VST, even though they have great characters.

Return to “u-he”