Catalina and plugins

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
8940 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:48 am

Forgotten wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:52 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:46 am
Given the amount of years you've been whining about Apple, you must be close to needing a new computer. I bet you can't wait to finally be free of having to back a smartphone company who despises you :shrug:
Yeah, it will be good when that day arrives. The repetition of the same complaints gets old quickly.
Sorry reading some truths is disturbing you :shrug:

Regarding the new computer, new Apple computers are so good that mine still holds perfectly against the vast majority of them :hihi:
Last edited by fmr on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

chk071
KVRAF
21924 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Catalina and plugins

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:51 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:38 am
chk071 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:00 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:57 am
Moreover, with Logic Pro X, Apple have completely changed the rhythm and content of updates. Years of great updates and tons of bug-fixes for free, while Cubasers get hit every six-months for upgrade cash :shrug:
Not quite. It's one year. ;)
Maybe they changed, but it used to be .5 upgrades every half-year. Anyway, my point remains.
As far as i know, they've always been yearly, since they changed to that release cycle.

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
8940 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Re: Catalina and plugins

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:57 am

chk071 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:51 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:38 am
chk071 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:00 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:57 am
Moreover, with Logic Pro X, Apple have completely changed the rhythm and content of updates. Years of great updates and tons of bug-fixes for free, while Cubasers get hit every six-months for upgrade cash :shrug:
Not quite. It's one year. ;)
Maybe they changed, but it used to be .5 upgrades every half-year. Anyway, my point remains.
As far as i know, they've always been yearly, since they changed to that release cycle.
Don't bother. He also said that Logic Pro X costs 130 pounds. :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

chk071
KVRAF
21924 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Catalina and plugins

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:57 am

Maybe before the Brexit. :D

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
4517 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Catalina and plugins

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:03 am

fmr wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:48 am
Forgotten wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:52 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:46 am
Given the amount of years you've been whining about Apple, you must be close to needing a new computer. I bet you can't wait to finally be free of having to back a smartphone company who despises you :shrug:
Yeah, it will be good when that day arrives. The repetition of the same complaints gets old quickly.
Sorry reading some truths is disturbing you :shrug:

Regarding the new computer, new Apple computers are so good that mine still holds perfectly against the vast majority of them :hihi:
Dammit!

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
14298 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: Catalina and plugins

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:16 am

fmr wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:57 am
chk071 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:51 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:38 am
chk071 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:00 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:57 am
Moreover, with Logic Pro X, Apple have completely changed the rhythm and content of updates. Years of great updates and tons of bug-fixes for free, while Cubasers get hit every six-months for upgrade cash :shrug:
Not quite. It's one year. ;)
Maybe they changed, but it used to be .5 upgrades every half-year. Anyway, my point remains.
As far as i know, they've always been yearly, since they changed to that release cycle.
Don't bother. He also said that Logic Pro X costs 130 pounds. :shrug:
Did I say that? Did I?

Or did I say that I thought that was the price of the upgrades from 7-8, and 8-9?

Well, it turns out that those upgrades were more expensive, and that Logic Pro X is cheaper...and was released at £139. My confusion is probably due to the fact that I bought Logic 8 & 9 as physical copies, in pounds, sent from England, but I bought Pro X while in Europe. So, I was out by just over nine pounds :idiot:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/apple-logic-pro-x

Dasheesh
KVRAF
3556 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Re: Catalina and plugins

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:02 pm

@Angus_fx

Thanks for the reply. I run geist2 and cypher 2 on my pc so shouldn't have any problems. I have a 2015 macbook pro that i load all my older version stuff and lesser expensive stuff on to tho, to use as a travel rig, so in my case (the older stuff being offloaded onto the mac), im thinking I might just shut off the wifi, any furture updates, and keep it static.

0degree
KVRist
357 posts since 29 Jan, 2017

Re: Catalina and plugins

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:57 pm

I don't recall most of plugin and host devs issuing warnings when switching between Windows 7 to 8 and 8 to 10. Did I miss something? And every time there's new version of MacOS there's havoc everywhere. I think it means at least that platform is not really developer friendly, is it ?
- Dropping 32 bit support
- New signing verification
- Deprecating OpenGL support meaning devs probably need to start using Metal

And all that time is wasted on fixing Apple's compatibility issues instead of developing the actual software

User avatar
fisherKing
KVRAF
1948 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Re: Catalina and plugins

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:05 pm

0degree wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:57 pm
I don't recall most of plugin and host devs issuing warnings when switching between Windows 7 to 8 and 8 to 10. Did I miss something? And every time there's new version of MacOS there's havoc everywhere. I think it means at least that platform is not really developer friendly, is it ?
- Dropping 32 bit support
- New signing verification
- Deprecating OpenGL support meaning devs probably need to start using Metal

And all that time is spent on fixing Apple's compatibility issues instead of developing the actual software
'havoc everywhere'? doesn't this sort-of apple-hating thing get tiresome? i have been on macs for 20 years, and all is well. 32bit support is over, yes, but all my plugins are already 64bit. and, as i've posted earlier, everything is working (logic x) here. and logic (& final cut, which i also use), get updated regularly.

zzzzzzz........ :dog:
always one plugin short of perfection...

0degree
KVRist
357 posts since 29 Jan, 2017

Re: Catalina and plugins

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:13 pm

fisherKing wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:05 pm
0degree wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:57 pm
I don't recall most of plugin and host devs issuing warnings when switching between Windows 7 to 8 and 8 to 10. Did I miss something? And every time there's new version of MacOS there's havoc everywhere. I think it means at least that platform is not really developer friendly, is it ?
- Dropping 32 bit support
- New signing verification
- Deprecating OpenGL support meaning devs probably need to start using Metal

And all that time is spent on fixing Apple's compatibility issues instead of developing the actual software
'havoc everywhere'? doesn't this sort-of apple-hating thing get tiresome? i have been on macs for 20 years, and all is well. 32bit support is over, yes, but all my plugins are already 64bit. and, as i've posted earlier, everything is working (logic x) here. and logic (& final cut, which i also use), get updated regularly.

zzzzzzz........ :dog:
Of course, because everything critical against Apple is automatically "hating". I love that kind of argument :roll:

User avatar
W23
KVRist
436 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Re: Catalina and plugins

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:38 pm

I got something like a dozen email warnings from different developers. It happens enough to know that it’s a three to six month wait for Catalina over here. I’m not in any hurry. I suppose the developers experience a little stress because they’re scrambling to catch up, but I learned almost 11 years ago to hold off from updating. I had an Apogee Duet turn into a door stop for 6 months. I remember scrambling to find a compatible $99 Line 6 interface to get me through those troubling times.

User avatar
fisherKing
KVRAF
1948 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Re: Catalina and plugins

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:41 pm

0degree wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:13 pm
fisherKing wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:05 pm
0degree wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:57 pm
I don't recall most of plugin and host devs issuing warnings when switching between Windows 7 to 8 and 8 to 10. Did I miss something? And every time there's new version of MacOS there's havoc everywhere. I think it means at least that platform is not really developer friendly, is it ?
- Dropping 32 bit support
- New signing verification
- Deprecating OpenGL support meaning devs probably need to start using Metal

And all that time is spent on fixing Apple's compatibility issues instead of developing the actual software
'havoc everywhere'? doesn't this sort-of apple-hating thing get tiresome? i have been on macs for 20 years, and all is well. 32bit support is over, yes, but all my plugins are already 64bit. and, as i've posted earlier, everything is working (logic x) here. and logic (& final cut, which i also use), get updated regularly.

zzzzzzz........ :dog:
Of course, because everything critical against Apple is automatically "hating". I love that kind of argument :roll:
i have my own issues with apple; am not a fanboy, just a (mostly-happy) macuser. critical is good, hate (big or small) is not. just my opinion (of course).
always one plugin short of perfection...

0degree
KVRist
357 posts since 29 Jan, 2017

Re: Catalina and plugins

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:47 pm

fisherKing wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:41 pm
i have my own issues with apple; am not a fanboy, just a (mostly-happy) macuser. critical is good, hate (big or small) is not. just my opinion (of course).
Sure, fair enough. I have no emotional relation with Apple, but sometimes their decisions are weird to say the least

User avatar
fisherKing
KVRAF
1948 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Re: Catalina and plugins

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:50 pm

0degree wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:47 pm
fisherKing wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:41 pm
i have my own issues with apple; am not a fanboy, just a (mostly-happy) macuser. critical is good, hate (big or small) is not. just my opinion (of course).
Sure, fair enough. I have no emotional relation with Apple, but sometimes their decisions are weird to say the least
unlike, say, most other corporations? :D seriously, if we all stopped dealing with companies that have: asshole CEOs, or dumb policies, or bad politics, or engage in questionable practices... we'd be buying nothing.
always one plugin short of perfection...

0degree
KVRist
357 posts since 29 Jan, 2017

Re: Catalina and plugins

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:53 pm

fisherKing wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:50 pm
0degree wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:47 pm
fisherKing wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:41 pm
i have my own issues with apple; am not a fanboy, just a (mostly-happy) macuser. critical is good, hate (big or small) is not. just my opinion (of course).
Sure, fair enough. I have no emotional relation with Apple, but sometimes their decisions are weird to say the least
unlike, say, most other corporations? :D seriously, if we all stopped dealing with companies that have: asshole CEOs, or dumb policies, or bad politics, or engage in questionable practices... we'd be buying nothing.
I get your point, but in this case I was referring more to technical aspect of the update. It just feels like wasted energy on the devs side. And Windows is way better in this matter - it seems like they are taking backwards compatibility more seriously

Return to “Instruments”