The lesser or more obscure brands / guitars you've owned.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The three LP copies.

I had a Magnum (not sure if that's the brand or the guitar). It was a LP copy with cheap unpotted pups. Took me a little time to square it into playing like an actual LP. It was the first time I swapped pups. A JB and a Jazz. Bolt on copy of a LP Custom Black Beauty. Amazing tone and action once I set it all all up. Lasted about 2 years and needed a fret job and the neck split at the headstock.

Had a Cimar this time a LP Standard copy the frets kept on popping out. It was my car guitar. No case. I'd throw it into the leg well of the back seat and cover it plus my pignose amp with a beach towel. It was just okay but I had a few warn frets as well as a nicked one on the 20th fret. I worked two jobs and between shifts I'd have about an hour and a half free time to practice. A buddy of mine brought his daughter into work one day and saw me playing. What Daddy's little princess wants Daddy's little princess gets. It was an okay players but I didn't have any attachment to it.

Mitchell 3/4. This was another Black Beauty copy. Though it had P90's and was small and real playable. It sounded like a Blueshawk. I took it on stage onetime when I was doing the blues jam circuit and everyone wanted to buy it from me. This time I resisted well sort of. I was dating this girl from Brazil who was on a Education Visa. I gave it to her. She had been living here on a student visa which had expired and legally couldn't work. The only thing available for here was menial labor that paid sub minimum. So she broke my heart, took my guitar and went back to Brazil to be with her husband.

I've got many more stories of lesser brand guitars that I can't recall now.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Hayman 4040 Bass most probably traded for a nominal amount, my first bass, seen the prices WTH. It came with a Carlsbro CS40L 2×12 which I gave away in my drug daze 90's. Point to point Mullard tubes, etc. I have an habit of giving things away. Both squandered. The best amp I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

Owned vintage Orange, Marshall and VampPower.Image VampPower sold and transported from the UK to Australia.
I also have a modern Carlsbro TC 60 that will no longer fire up, output tubes not glowing. Been nothing but trouble, been repaired once.
https://themusiclocker.co.uk/shop/vinta ... ier-combo/
Westbury Deluxe
A Kay of some sort.
Marlin Sidewinder.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Kay was a US company for a very long time. Though it was distributed via the same people who distributed univox (which later became Korg) The "quirky designs just made it seem like they might be Harmony or Airline or Tesco.

I had an early 80's Kay of very similar design to the link you provided. It was a satin brownish pink sg shaped thing. I paid $120 for it. Honestly I think my "kay" was a knock off. It was as common back then as it is today. Someone would take a knock off model and then try to dress it up as the real thing.

Hink and I have similar double cutaway neck thru's His is a Daion? Mine was a Washburn Falcon.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I had a USA JB player strat type guitar same as this one but in mint condition (bought new)
https://reverb.com/item/26959014-jb-pla ... rce=google

The USA production lasted about a year and then it was shipped off to Korea. When that happened they ceased producing the neck thrus and thickened up the necks a little.

crestwood.jpg
I had a crestwood astral II in the late 70's Similar to Jack Whites and this pictured above. Mine was tobacco sunburst and had a standard tailpiece not a bigsby type;
the previous owner had carved out the center area between the single coils and installed a diarzio humbucker
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I've got one of these (left handed too), picked it up second hand really cheap... and man it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LO_3p1MWME

ImageIn the 80's I had more guitars than doans had pills.

I had a Kaman / Ovation GTX 23

an-electric-heart wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:28 am I've got one of these (left handed too), picked it up second hand really cheap... and man it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LO_3p1MWME

Way Cool. I used to watch Jon Way reviews like they are going out of style.

Had one of these. A Raven West RG450. Not a traditional semi. The center block is only under the bridge and tailpiece. So more hollow body than one might think.

60's Teisco Del Rey;
Belltone amp.
Espanã semi-acoustic.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Westone Thunder 1a, not sold but not sure where it ended up :/

http://www.westoneguitars.net/guitars/t ... reloaded=1

I had a silver Marlin Sidewinder in the late 80's

Ahh, the Marlin Sidewinder - from a catalogue?

Got this, 'Jay Turser' hollowbody off a mate at work a bit back. Apparently a US company - built in China. Used it on a few things, but it's main function I've found for me is that it sings like a bastard with the ebow, like no other geetar I've ever used. Weird, but good. :love:
jayturser.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The first guitar I bought was a “Satellite” branded Strat copy.

It was a low budget made in Japan guitar that played great but had dull sounding pickups. I put a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge position and a cheap humbucker in the neck position and played it for quite a few years before selling it to fund another guitar.

My first guitar was an Aspen Les Paul copy in white. Bolt-on neck, but nice binding. OK pickups, action could be better.

Return to “Guitars”