Go-to track compressor?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I discovered yesterday that my beloved Focusrite Red 3 compressor renders at different levels offline than it plays in real-time and that, when pushed hard, the difference can be significant. It is therefore unusable.

What compressor would people recommend as a go-to? I use a lot of orchestral instruments, so need a lot of range and potentially very low thresholds. It also needs to be light on CPU so it can be used on almost every track.

Thanks for the help!

DMG TrackComp

Klanghelm DC8C

Can't really go wrong with either of those two.

Vortifex wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:24 pm DMG TrackComp

Klanghelm DC8C

+1 ...also in that order for me.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

Klanghelm DC8C

DC8C3 is a champ, I’ve been using it a lot more lately.

My go-to most of the time is Blue Cat’s Dynamics, especially for more surgical duties.

Kotelnikov GE is also excellent.

All 3 of these compressors cover my needs plenty well enough.

The 3 Arturia compressors, i don't see it mentioned enough. And of course, the glue.

One of my favorites is still Novatron by Kush. Hard to make that thing sound bad.

DMG's TrackComp offers insane value.

Other stuff: Fabfilter's Pro-C, Arousor from Empirical Labs, AR-1 from Kush, any of the UAD comps are excellent, Mu from Pulsar, the Fuse Audio compressors...there's tons of great stuff out there.

In the spirit, I'll answer what I actually use the most: McDSP 6050 (see also 6030 and 6060).
My go-tos are the LA-2A and 3A, the varimu (mootube), and the overeasy DBX.
CPU is 0%, I can run a million instances. I don't think it runs on CPU, just hopes and dreams.

Option #2 if I had to pick only one thing would be the Scheps Omni for the 3 comps (but I'd run out of CPU if used everywhere). Realistically I end up putting BX_opto on a lot of things (very low CPU, super easy to dial in, works 80% of the time), and for buses I keep leaning on TB Bus Compressor for the partial stereo link (Kotelnikov does this too, but at higher CPU).

Other than that (for tracks and buses), I can pretty much give back all my other comps and never miss them, except for the stuff I use on the master.

Waves eMo D5 Dynamics - lots of options, low CPU zero latency

Voxengo Marquis
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

Pingafuego wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:22 am Waves eMo D5 Dynamics - lots of options, low CPU zero latency
How would you describe the compressor's character?

For workflow convenience I normally use Logic's incuded plugins. Either that, or making primary eq & comp moves with Wavearts' Trackplug. I do also use both of the Klanghelm comps.

Reaching for Pro-C2 / Glue / Kotelnikov.

I need to cut back my "go-to box", trying out too many at the moment... But for OP's application I'd say DC8C. Don't forget to use the "styles" presets, it's easier than adjusting the shape, RMS and programme-dependence.

TDR Feedback Compressor v1.
Thrillseeker LA and VBL
King Tao KT-C
Klanghelm DC1A3, DC8C3 and MJUC Jr
Marc O. Hornplans MC ONE Free
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Klanghelm DC8C

Bought TrackComp recently after being rather sceptical for a while (don't like horizontal faders), but now I love it and I use it all over the place. With the new beta version it's now seven or eight compressor models for 80 bucks - great value for money.

DC8C is dirt cheap and super flexible, but TrackComp is just so much easier and faster to use...

TB_Compressor from the Toneboosters TrackEssential bundle is also a great track comp, I still use it here and there.

Return to “Effects”