Should I add a Micromonsta to my setup?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to move away from the computer for sound generation sources (I spend all day in front of the computer at work). I am currently using a Windows tablet for midi sequencing (the options in Reaktor are very appealing) that is connected to one or more Korg Volcas and a Novation Mininova. I was wondering if adding a Micromonsta to this setup would give me any sound options I don't already have? Does the Mininova already cover all of my VA needs? Is this just my GAS-addled brain looking for something else to buy? Any thoughts you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Micromonsta can add a different character to what you already have. It really sounds great.

I agree with EvilDragon. You can't really go wrong with the MicroMonsta. It sounds fantastic. Whether your current gear covers what it can do or not... I can't say. But, I really don't think you'd be disappointed with a MicroMonsta.

So, my vote.. go for it! :tu:

Thank you both - Micromonsta ordered :).

I say it all the time:
All I had to do was play one note of the OverHeim preset and I had 0 regrets about getting the Micromonsta. The sound is just one (very very good) reason to love it. The dev is very active about firmware updates and responsive to questions. The Monsta sells out really quick every time it's available from the dev direct, then can be found on Reverb for $100 markup, so that is a very good sign of its quality.

Good to know - thanks for weighing in!

+1 on the firmware updates. When I originally bought mine in February of 2017. At that point, there was no MIDI over USB support. I asked about it and Sammuel said:
Samuel Montassier - Audiothingies wrote:No USB midi.
I may add it in the future but it's not guaranteed at all so don't buy it hoping it will be there one day.
Fast-forward to December when I got back in to music production ... decided to check on firmware updates on the MicroMonsta and was pleasantly surprised to find that it now supports MIDI over USB! :tu:

It is a great little box. Endless fun, easy to use, and sounds amazing.

Yeah, MicroMonsta is hugely under-rated around here. It might do better if Audiothingies had some distribution in place. I think only selling it through their website holds it back but maybe they're happy with that? I'd love to have it in an actual keyboard synth, it would be absolutely amazing.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Very pleased with the tight little unit with huge wide sound. Easy to program, good controls. Yeah, I don't hear much about it when other poly synths are discussed (here and other synth forums), it's like a secret weapon.

I haven't seen used listings in a while and it's been unavailable from the site since August. Was considering chaining a second one for more voices.

I loved my one, so got a second... polychained they have a huge sound. Small boxes are great ... polychained Skulpts and Craftsynths are amazing too ...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”