Ambient/minimal techno, probably more Vurt-friendly than club-friendly

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/phaseboundary/we ... o-20190929
For modular nerds there are patch notes on the SoundCloud page. If I remember correctly the reverb is Xenoverb (spring mode) and the stereo delay is Outer Space.

For a while I've been trying to get the hang of making repetitive electronic music, somewhat influenced by artists including Kiasmos, Rival Consoles and this electro compilation https://alekstark.bandcamp.com/album/al ... mesticos-2 but also minimalist 20th-century composers like Reich and Glass. And the trouble I've found is that working with audio loops leads to by-the-numbers genre music I don't enjoy or understand, while working directly with the piano roll leads to paralysing optimisation and vertical composition without enough horizontal structure. For more traditional songwriting I would work through the horizontal structure by playing a reduced version on piano or guitar, then go back and fill in the arrangement.

I feel like modular gear is coming to the rescue here, as it lets me "perform" repetitive music horizontally. In this recording I recorded a 5-minute performance, then went back and overdubbed the parts to reinforce the structure that emerged from the performance. Does this seem to be working?

Comments on mix, pacing etc are welcome. Going for a "late night session" aesthetic here, which is difficult because I don't actually enjoy spending time in night clubs.

imrae wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:46 am ... and vertical composition without enough horizontal structure. For more traditional songwriting I would work through the horizontal structure by playing ...
:scared:

My advice would be: First make some vertical pull-ups - then do some circular paces inside the
horizontal disc - at last do a diagonal sidestep in order to get the full horizontal and vertical
picture - with an additional horizontal fast spinning torsions-squeeze! :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

You're saying I should use Brian Eno's oblique strategies? Not a bad idea...

Get some vertical swipes on the XY Axis and a circular discombobulator with a swift dive right down to the fuckin' floor.

I think you have the basis for a great track there - personally I wasn't totally engaged and was expecting it to pick up and 'get its groove on' at the last quarter, but it never came. Keep at it man.

edit: by the way this kind of reminds me of shiny metal rods by aphex, i don't know if that was intentional. if not you could maybe pick up some ideas from it (while retaining your own style ofc)
Last edited by frank1985 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imrae wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:42 pm You're saying I should use Brian Eno's oblique strategies? Not a bad idea...
Yeah, and don't forget the torsion-loops-squeeze ... :hihi:

I'll be your personal oblique strategist ---

A Machine Impersonating Human Feelings

(with a torsion-loop-squeeze)

It starts with a "heartbeat"-beat - and I think it really sounds like
a phase-boundary. The title suits perfectly! And no matter what
directions you used (horizontal, vertical, diagonal):

It is a good rhythmically floating track: :tu:

Thanks for the feedback everyone, a few things to think about. And an excuse to go buy more Aphex Twin records ;-)

Return to “Music Cafe”