MJUC vs DC8C

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Please share opinions, comments, how you are using it.

I made this thread so you can help figure out which one best suits my needs, but secretly I'm expecting to be convinced that I need both.

Also, if Klanghelm catches wind of this thread, a Black Friday sale would see me act swiftly :D

My thoughts (not owning them yet): MJUC seems suspiciously narrow in application. Although it's 3 comps, they seem to follow the same spirit so it's more like 3 flavors of a similar application. And DC8C seems like a proper swiss army comp, but it looks intimidating and I wonder if I'll come around to learning the controls or just let it collect dust after struggling to control it.

I tried the free version of MJUC and I didn't quite like it. The locked speeds were not hitting the targets for me. The free version of DC8C is not giving me enough settings to judge.

First... klanghelm doesn't do sales. They have some of the best and cheapest products on the market. It contradicts their business model.

Now, for the rest. I am not the kind of person to recommend buying everything but in this case buying both is absolutely the smart move in my opinion. You can by both and still spend less than most good compressor plugins. If I was starting over tomorrow I would immediately buy the whole klanghelm lineup and save myself some time and money. DC8C3 has so much control that you can basically design your own compressor types with it. It's one of my secret weapon plugins that I don't use all the time but it never fails me when I do use it. I personally like to start with simpler plugins like compressorbank or TrackComp and if I'm having trouble getting the results I need I'll grab something like DC8C3 or compassion.

MJUC is a different beast entirely. I don't agree that it is limited in ability because not only does it have the 3 different modes but the different modes also have different features/controls. MJUC is the kind of compressor you grab if you want character. It's easy to use while being just flexible enough to handle most tasks you throw at it. It's sound doesn't work on everything but it rarely fails. I tend to use MJUC on any bus that isn't rhythmic or percussive. It just smooths things out very well.

With these two compressors you can handle almost any compression job you can think of. DC8C3 is much more flexible but can also take some time to use and get used to. Especially when you leave easy mode. MJUC on the other hand is less flexible but incredibly easy to use but also not right for all sources or genres.

If I had to get one I guess DC8C3 but I cant imagine not having MJUC.

I concur with everything above. I've got both and they're fantastic. Only thing I'd add is that the 4 'easy mode' compressors in DC8C do have very different characters, so it's still a worthwhile buy even if you want to build your confidence a little before you dive into expert mode. As with the above poster, MJUC tends to get more use from me for typical compression tasks because 'it just works' on most material, but DC8C comes out whenever I've got something a bit more challenging.

Klanghelm doesn't do sales, his plugins are already cheaper than most other comparable compressors put on sale. Also MJUC and DC8C are so different that its worth getting both. Even though DC8C is very powerful and flexible I don't think it can fully replicate MJUC. The free/demo versions of these plugins sound not quite like the full versions, so they are not an indication of the quality of the full product, think of them more like generous freebies. MJUC is typically always doing master bus duties for me. DC8C I don't use as often, not because it's not good, but because I am currently still in the honeymoon phase with some newer toys.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

cron wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:16 am I concur with everything above. I've got both and they're fantastic. Only thing I'd add is that the 4 'easy mode' compressors in DC8C do have very different characters, so it's still a worthwhile buy even if you want to build your confidence a little before you dive into expert mode. As with the above poster, MJUC tends to get more use from me for typical compression tasks because 'it just works' on most material, but DC8C comes out whenever I've got something a bit more challenging.
I agree completely. I was trying to keep my post from going on too long but you are absolutely right about the easy modes. They are all distinct and could easily be viewed as full compressor plugins on their own. I often find the easy mode that best suits the task then open up the expert panel and fine tune the settings.

If I had to choose an single compressor for any task it would be between DC8C3, compassion, and Pro-C2 and I would probably end up choosing DC8C3 because the other two options can really only do clean compression.

I like them both as well. Gotos

You can try a free alternative - Molot compressor.

I only own mjuc jr but dc8c3 is great!
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I gotta admit while I think that both are great, I don't use them very often.
DC8C is still too complicated for me most of the time and I never gelled with the easy modes, don't know why. The "limiter" preset though is my secret weapon for taming e.g. unruly shakers.
MJUC I regularly try on vocals, but it seldom works, too much of a character. Also still quite a CPU hog. It sounds great though, but as others wrote, it has to fit the track.
I kinda agree about MJUC Junior, never clicked with me, the full MJUC is much better. I love DC1A though, it is a regular on background vocals. So simple to use and just works. Both the freebies are more a compressor of their own than a "demo" version of what their big brothers can offer.

Not difficult to twist knobs and trust ears

dc8c is for clean compression, as in mastering needs or limiting needs at the end of a signal. mjuc are colorful compressors used on direct signals or busses for the purposes of toying with dynamics.

I have Dc8c3, I had done some tests comparing a Phoenix form Thermionic Culture in some synths and it was 100% the same!
I don't have MJUC, but DC8C3 is a beast, I am not using it as my goto, I guess because I was in avanced mode and I got lost a bit, I will from now on, you have to get to know it well I guess and today I played with the easy mode and its amazing! oversampling for saturation too , this guy is top!

I wonder whats Klanghelm's next product! can't wait

An EQ

DC1A is hands down my favorite free dynamics plugin. According to Klangheim, "I've taken a few of my favorite settings from DC8C and tried to make it work in a two control context". But though the two controls are input and output, the Deep, Relaxed and Negative modes, combined with how hard you hit it and how you blend it with the dry signal, give a lot of variety. Low cpu and I love the way it sounds on a bus and also individual instruments and vocs.

Return to “Effects”