Need to be better arranging songs quicker and not get stuck in loops. Tips?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:12 pm Yeah, just looking at his threads, I think his main problem is that he is forcing himself to make music, but he's stuck with what he is, started from zero, made every mistake he could on the way, still don't have deeper understanding of what he is actually listening, doing or trying to do, stubbornly trying to hack music production like it's some game.
Agreed with this.
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:12 pm My sincere advice, go back to listening to music and wait until you could make whole track in your head first, than come back to a DAW... Plenty of us started like that, we got obsessed with making music before we actually started, than we started dissecting everything we hear, more we knew deeper we went, you can't skip that or hack that, you got it or you don't, than you put lot of work into it and become better, but in the end of the day it's not for everyone.
This is terrible advice for someone trying to make dance music. I see a lot of new 'producers' with their 10+ VSTs online... never see them at clubs or festivals though. Like how the hell are you gonna make dance music if you don't.. euh, dance? No big surprise you get stuck in loops then :phones:

Don't start composing vertically until you've finished composing horizontally.

lwj wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:10 am
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:12 pm My sincere advice, go back to listening to music and wait until you could make whole track in your head first, than come back to a DAW... Plenty of us started like that, we got obsessed with making music before we actually started, than we started dissecting everything we hear, more we knew deeper we went, you can't skip that or hack that, you got it or you don't, than you put lot of work into it and become better, but in the end of the day it's not for everyone.
This is terrible advice for someone trying to make dance music. I see a lot of new 'producers' with their 10+ VSTs online... never see them at clubs or festivals though. Like how the hell are you gonna make dance music if you don't.. euh, dance? No big surprise you get stuck in loops then :phones:
What are you on about, gave him advice to go deeper and understand what he's listening and doing, of course, if he's into club music experiencing it in the club should be a must, that just proves my point further, one should experience music on deeper level to be able to make the same fruitfully.

3 minutes and 50 seconds for a song? That’s long.
To the stars through desire.

Desire Inspires wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:35 pm 3 minutes and 50 seconds for a song? That’s long.
Seriously? Or is this sarcasm? It's hard to tell over the Internet.

Desire Inspires wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:35 pm 3 minutes and 50 seconds for a song? That’s long.
or is it?

vurt wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:49 pm
or is it?
Good question!

Forgotten wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:50 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:49 pm
or is it?
Good question!

... Or is it? :hihi:

I never worry about the length of a song. If it is finished, it is finished! Consequently with my ADHD brain, I seldom get past about 2min 45. Works good live though, because the punters don't have time to get bored or pissed off if the song is shite anyway.

Sometimes I work on a song for a few hours and I'm like "woah how long is it already? Probably something around 4 minutes easy" Then I measure it and it's 1:30. :D

Happens even to pros.
I'm a professional and you can't deny it. If you do, you either were tricked by the League, or you are from the League.

ProfessionalTom wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:12 pm Sometimes I work on a song for a few hours and I'm like "woah how long is it already? Probably something around 4 minutes easy" Then I measure it and it's 1:30. :D

Happens even to pros.
so, in your mind its longer than in reality?
that must be a weird feeling?

vurt wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:49 pm
ProfessionalTom wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:12 pm Sometimes I work on a song for a few hours and I'm like "woah how long is it already? Probably something around 4 minutes easy" Then I measure it and it's 1:30. :D

Happens even to pros.
Kinda sucks, doesn't it?
I'm a professional and you can't deny it. If you do, you either were tricked by the League, or you are from the League.

vurt wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:49 pm
Indeed, seems to be the case according to some women I have "known" :oops:

Try this, as if you have the slightest theory, this will come easy once you get the sense of Variation to help expand your Scene & Stroy. It takes practice.
https://youtu.be/VNXrZZZd3qs

or similar, with a stronger emphasis on the ideas of Stroy
https://youtu.be/cXslJECAp9c

again similar but walks through a released piece
https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2018/06/1 ... d-cheated/

Talk to me if you want help.

:-)

I personally come up with a short bite or hook. Then I just normally decide the general parts like intro, verse, pre-chorus, chorus and/or bridge and try to do a rough draft. Then I am gone for 40 hours of work on the song. I think I rewrite everything 3 times at least before I can even tell if I have a working idea normally.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

Return to “Production Techniques”