Peak Rider 2 alternatives?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are there any Peak Rider 2 alternatives? I'm looking for software that can copy a dynamic shape (or amplitude shape) from one sound to another. For example, I'd like to be able to copy the amplitude shape of a trumpet and apply it to any other instrument.

I've been Googling for hours now and haven't found any alternatives. Maybe I'm not using the right keywords.

Any suggestions are welcome.

The key word(s) you're looking for is envelope follower. But looks like Peak Rider 2 doesn't follow just the amplitude but the frequency content of the source signal. I suspect it's actually a multi-band envelope follower, I don't know any other plugins that do it. Trackspacer does something similar but I'm not sure if you can make it work in an inverted way like that.

EDIT: I don't think it would be too hard to replicate its behavior in a modular environment like Bitwig, DDMF Metaplugin or Blue Cat's Patchwork.

Dunno anything about peak rider, but on the topic of "multi band envelope follower" wouldn't that just be a vocoder?

The old fashioned kind that evnelope follows a bandpass filter bank. Not phase vocoder or whatever.

Of course many vocoders are not much good at sounding anything except hopelessly robotic and artificial, and proud of it. And the reason most folks buy the thangs, so that they can sound robotic and artificial.

Still, a multi band envelope follower might fairly be called a vocoder. Maybe somewhere there are vocoders that DO NOT sound proudly artificial? Dunno.

Or maybe some side-chainable dynamic EQ's or multiband compressor/expanders can operate in expander mode and maybe try to do the job.

Just out of curiosity what isn't sufficient with peak rider? I use it frequently and I LOVE it, and if there's a better one out there I'll dump peak rider ASAP.

thagreatbelow wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:51 pm Just out of curiosity what isn't sufficient with peak rider? I use it frequently and I LOVE it, and if there's a better one out there I'll dump peak rider ASAP.
From what I've seen, it's really good, but it doesn't suit my workflow. I'd like to be able to batch process amplitude shapes from one sound to a batch of other sounds. Basically, save a shape and apply it to other sounds in one go. That's why I'm asking for alternatives.

But it seems to be the only tool of its kind so I'll probably end up buying it anyways.

What if you load Peak Rider 2 as a plugin in an audio editor with batch processing?

Etienne1973 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:16 pm What if you load Peak Rider 2 as a plugin in an audio editor with batch processing?
Peak Rider 2 needs to be sidechain in order to copy the amplitude envelope of a sound. It's not possible to sidechain in the audio editors that I use, and even if it would be possible, I think it would crash. From my experience, batch processing with VSTe always resulted in crashes. I mostly use Wavosaur and Audacity.

In Ableton live 10 you can freeze side chained tracks, so you would be able to accomplish this that way (Though may be pricey if you don't own Ableton already). You could have 20 tracks all with peak rider 2 side chained to the same "shape" and freeze them all, then flatten them all. Voila.

thagreatbelow wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:33 pm In Ableton live 10 you can freeze side chained tracks, so you would be able to accomplish this that way (Though may be pricey if you don't own Ableton already). You could have 20 tracks all with peak rider 2 side chained to the same "shape" and freeze them all, then flatten them all. Voila.
Thank you for the tip, I have the full version of Ableton Live 9, it should do the trick.

SampleScience wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:49 pm
thagreatbelow wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:33 pm In Ableton live 10 you can freeze side chained tracks, so you would be able to accomplish this that way (Though may be pricey if you don't own Ableton already). You could have 20 tracks all with peak rider 2 side chained to the same "shape" and freeze them all, then flatten them all. Voila.
Thank you for the tip, I have the full version of Ableton Live 9, it should do the trick.
Unfortunately not because in Ableton 9 you cannot freeze side chained tracks :'( That feature was not added until 10. And 10.1 at that. It's the feature that made me upgrade to Ableton 10 from 9, so that's how I know.

Return to “Effects”