Neutron 2 EQ Sidechain

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

I've managed to completely confuse myself, so hopefully one of you kind souls can help :)

I'm trying to set up a Dynamic EQ sidechain in Neutron 2 / Logic Pro X. I have a vocal track and a guitar track stack (2 guitars panned hard left and right), and an instance of Neutron 2 on each.

I'd like to dynamically cut a certain guitar frequency when the vocal kicks in, but I can't for the life of me work out how to do it :x

I've watched countless videos this morning, but most deal with Ableton or Pro Tools which has confused me even more. As far as I can see, I select the node I'd like to dynamically cut, select Dynamic Mode, and then select Ext.Full in the sidechain dropdown?

It's then I get stuck - looks like to I have to send the vocal track to a bus, then send that bus back to the guitar track so it triggers the dynamic EQ??

Like I said, I'm really confused...

Any help is appreciated - thanks!

I don't use Logic and I don't have Neutron 2. So naturally I thought to contribute ;)

Let's go in 2 steps. First make sure you are sending your sidechain to the bus where Neutron is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gudx6TrQ5i4

In short, you want to create a SEND in the mixer from the sidechain source.

Here is a video on Neutron 2 sidechain, hopefully this solves your problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7IyDRU1A-g

It's Ableton but it should work the same once your SEND is configured properly.

Hey, thanks for this - appreciated. It's the Joshua Casper video that confused me, to be honest. The dude seriously needs to slow down for us thickies out there :hihi:

I've managed to set up a sidechain to a compressor so that's not a problem, but I'd really like to trigger the dynamic EQ - looks like the setup is slightly different?

What I have is a guitar solo and main riff that are fighting for attention. When the solo kicks in I'd like to dynamically trigger the EQ to subdue some of the midrange in the riff.

Here's what I'm doing:

1) For the riff, I'm setting up a dynamic EQ cut in Neutron and setting the sidechain to Ext.Full
2) I then create a bus in Logic with no output (?), and send the solo to this
3) I then send the solo bus back to the riff track
4) Nothing happens (the riff EQ doesn't move) and the solo is now much louder?

Another thing I've noticed is that when I select Ext.Full on the riff and set a dynamic EQ cut, the EQ node in that frequency is still activated. Shouldn't this only activate when triggered by an external source (i.e. the solo?)

So confused...

dbiggins71 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:31 am I've managed to set up a sidechain to a compressor
Should be the same process from that point. So to recap,
At the mixer you want to configure your send to make sure your effect (compressor, neutron) can receive the send as a sidechain. Once you can confirm that the compressor is receiving, do the exact same wiring for Neutron.
At Neutron you go to the band you want to react to the sidechain, and you configure as Ext.Full. At that point you should see the band react to the incoming sidechain. Exaggerate the eq treatment so you can see/hear it.

From what you said, it sounds to me that the sidechain is not configured correctly coming into Neutron.

My God, I think I've cracked it - thanks folks! :tu:

It was this from you jochicago that made the penny drop:
From what you said, it sounds to me that the sidechain is not configured correctly coming into Neutron.
In the sidechain dropdown for the main riff, I needed to select the input source which is the solo, and I, er, wasn't doing that. :roll:

Thanks all, really appreciated!

dbiggins71 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:54 am I think I've cracked it
:tu: :party:

Return to “Effects”