Hi I am Professional Tom and here's a tutorial of secret EQ techniques. Other producers hate me for showing them to all.

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ProfessionalTom wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:15 am It's both.

Here's another photo, I'm finishing the master.

What do you think about it? I know I'd usually go for 14 lufs integrated, but somehow it turned out around 11 in the loudest moment of a song.

I can drop it to 14, but then true max peak will be around -4/5db. So my choice is:
11 lufs and -1dB true max peak
14 lufs and -4/5db true max peak

What would you do in this situation?
Surely the League knows about the Spotify saturation trick? Had you already left when that was introduced?

If you look at Spotify's loudness guidance, you'll see that their compression algorithms have a built-in saturation feature that gets triggered at <14 LUFS and >-2.0 dB true peak. In true league fashion, they openly advertise the feature but present it as something to avoid by calling it distortion*. This saturation is actually what gives a lot of mixes that last extra little bit of modern-sounding brightness when played on Spotify.

In other words, you're already right in the goldilocks zone. The only thing I would change is to bring up the level by at least another 0.5 dB as you're a little far from true 0 at the moment.

*Though I am starting to suspect that there is no such thing as distortion. For what is distortion if not excessive saturation, and one can never truly have too much saturation, right?

riddim83 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:49 pm

What do you think about it? I know I'd usually go for 14 lufs integrated, but somehow it turned out around 11 in the loudest moment of a song.

I can drop it to 14, but then true max peak will be around -4/5db. So my choice is:

Surely the League knows about the Spotify saturation trick? Had you already left when that was introduced?

If you look at Spotify's loudness guidance, you'll see that their compression algorithms have a built-in saturation feature that gets triggered at <14 LUFS and >-2.0 dB true peak. In true league fashion, they openly advertise the feature but present it as something to avoid by calling it distortion*. This saturation is actually what gives a lot of mixes that last extra little bit of modern-sounding brightness when played on Spotify.

In other words, you're already right in the goldilocks zone. The only thing I would change is to bring up the level by at least another 0.5 dB as you're a little far from true 0 at the moment.

*Though I am starting to suspect that there is no such thing as distortion. For what is distortion if not excessive saturation, and one can never truly have too much saturation, right?
Absolutely right, sir. I can see you're a professional as well. :tu:
I'm a professional and you can't deny it. If you do, you either were tricked by the League, or you are from the League.

riddim83 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:49 pm ...

I think that's a distortion of the secret league saturation technique, and truth be told, the interwebs is saturated with distortions.

all i know is, it definitely needs more cowbell.

vurt wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:57 pm all i know is, it definitely needs more cowbell.
Good comment! :tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:59 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:57 pm all i know is, it definitely needs more cowbell.
nice observation! :)

Daimonicon wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:29 pm

A PRO asking amateurs what to do? Not professional. A pro know his thing and don’t bother to ask anyone.
A pro that is too presumptuous to hear others' opinion is an arrogant pro.

A pro that is willing to learn from others is a man of possibilities. He knows he's not the only pro out there and he knows he can learn from others one thing and they can learn from him another thing.
I'm a professional and you can't deny it. If you do, you either were tricked by the League, or you are from the League.

You show me your thing and I'll show you mine.

now we are cocking on gas! :tu:

:lol:

:hihi:

Googly Smythe wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:44 pm I finally got round to watching this video.
And I think it's brilliant!
Well done, Professional Tom!

BTW
Does anyone else here realise that Tom is English slang for a woman of, shall we say, dubious morals?
I'm happy you liked it! :)

And the slang... Hmmm I'm not sure if I like it but I guess that it is what it is.

https://youtu.be/pSABKRTtJM8

vurt wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:00 pm
Or is it?

vurt wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:00 pm
Excellent recognition!

I got a fever and the only...

Return to “Production Techniques”