Upgrade audio interfece. What would you pick?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello guys, I'd like to upgrade my M-Audio 2x2M.
Among all these choices it seems hard to me to find the right pick. I was thinking about the Apollo Arrow, but there might be other interface more appropriate (I actually don't use UAD plugins).

I basically record with MIDI, 1 guitar/bass and 1 mic (rarely), so I don't need more than two inputs.

Thank you for your insights!

What's your budget? RME Babyface best in that price range with 2 inputs (more via ADAT if you ever need it), it'll last you a very long while.

Yeah I agree, RME is the way to go. RME software and drivers are simply the best in the business, and you don't realise how important that is until you use it. They are 100% rock solid and the interfaces last for a decade or more.

my RME FireFace 400, still going strong. had to clean one of the jacks once. that's it.

i could only recommend RME over everything else. rock solid.

RME, My fireface UC is 10 years old and going strong.
dedication to flying

ilwoody wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:10 am Hello guys, I'd like to upgrade my M-Audio 2x2M.
Among all these choices it seems hard to me to find the right pick. I was thinking about the Apollo Arrow, but there might be other interface more appropriate (I actually don't use UAD plugins).

I basically record with MIDI, 1 guitar/bass and 1 mic (rarely), so I don't need more than two inputs.

Thank you for your insights!
Why do you need to upgrade for ?

The one you already have seems to have your needs covered.

Is there a reason why you want to "upgrade" The data of both is very similar on the paper. Only Thunderbolt is different.
And why not more ports its better to have to many than to less. Maybe you want to jam with someone else.
I would prefer the Presonus Quantum 2, in my Country they got similar prices.

Audient ID4, with this you can plug your guitar/bass directly and the Mic-Pre amp is very nice too.
For Midi i would use a separate solution.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

i have just purchased a 2nd generation scarlett 2i4, price dropped due to 3rd generation.
It has 2 audio inputs and midi interface. I record audio outputs from analogue and digital synths. No issue.
I would not advice presonus products.

Awful customer support and bad products quality at least for USB audio 96.
See post above :
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=528262

dupont wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:15 am i have just purchased a 2nd generation scarlett 2i4, price dropped due to 3rd generation.
It has 2 audio inputs and midi interface. I record audio outputs from analogue and digital synths. No issue.
This is exactly the interface I used to have until very recently, and it was great. Only got another interface at all because my requirements have changed.

Like, they’re surprisingly good for what they cost, IMO.

I have RME UCX and could not be happier so I recommenced that. I would have bought a Babyface if I had not found a cheap second hand UCX.

I use Apollo Arrow for live gigs in conjunction with LogicX and couldn't be happier with it. In the studio I use RME, either my old Fireface 800 or my new UFX+ which is a routing monster and also has better mic preamp.

dupont wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:15 am i have just purchased a 2nd generation scarlett 2i4, price dropped due to 3rd generation.
Does it have a software mixer? I have no experience with Focusrite interfaces and was trying to help a Reaper user with theirs (2i2 if I recall correctly), and they said Focusrite Control didn't work with theirs. Not sure if it's a generation thing or if they just misreported it.

ilwoody wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:10 am Hello guys, I'd like to upgrade my M-Audio 2x2M.
Hi, Audio Interface latency reference chart
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... count=3210

yellowmix wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:05 pm Does it have a software mixer? I have no experience with Focusrite interfaces and was trying to help a Reaper user with theirs (2i2 if I recall correctly), and they said Focusrite Control didn't work with theirs. Not sure if it's a generation thing or if they just misreported it.
If you're talking about Mix Control or Focusrite Control, no. Entry-level Scarletts like the 2i2 and 2i4 don't have a software mixer.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”