Roland JX-3P vs. Deepmind 12

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, so, I've essentially boiled down my choices to, :

1. The Roland JX-3P
Or...
2. The Behringer Deepmind 12.

I seem to have found myself torn between these two synths.

The JX-3P is actually from the 80s, a big thing for me.
However, programmability seems limited, and I don't think I'll be able to also afford a PG-200, but it's like a once in a lifetime chance for me....

... However, the Deepmind 12 seems to have lots of programmability, but it isn't from the 80s, a big thing for me.

So I don't know which one I should choose, they both have their benefits, and their disadvantages.

So, I'm asking you, which one would you choose?

How to decide??? Which one do you WANT to play the most? Realistically it should come down to sound and playability. Why does it matter when it was made (other than romantic nostalgia...although I do get it, to an extent)?

oh good, another thread on the same subject.... :roll:

I think what we need here is someone with authority, who says "BUY THIS!". Then the topic should be done. :)

Any takers?

Yes me, get the Deepmind
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Need moar caps and exclamation marks, otherwise i see another thread upcoming. :roll:

I'm just wondering, what are the pros and cons of them? I mainly want nice, 80s sounding leads, pads, basses, etc. And it would be cool to have something from the 80s, something, "authentic" I guess you could say, but I guess I mainly want to know what does the Deepmind 12 have that the JX-3P doesn't, and what does the JX-3P have that the Deepmind 12 doesn't?

You could watch some videos on youtube, its quite easy. Also you could try asking GEOSYNTH he has made patches for both.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

bibz1st wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:50 pm You could watch some videos on youtube, its quite easy. Also you could try asking GEOSYNTH he has made patches for both.
I have, I've looked at many YouTube videos, I still can't decide. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try to ask him.

Big apologies for sounding so negative, but what a totally pointless thread and question.
The only thing that is making you not choose the DM12 is the fact it isn't from the 80s. Something you describe as a big thing.
As this is not only totally subjective but the degree and importance is something which is and only can be known to yourself and yourself alone, what's even the point in asking other people which they would buy?
If 10 people responded saying they would buy the DM12 and none responded saying JX-3P then would it make any difference? If it did then it being not from the 80s isn't a big thing after all, yet you said it was big, twice.
So what's the point of this entire post then.

Here's my vote, get the DM12, what's the point of nostalgia just for nostalgia's sake, especially if that comes at the risk of equipment failure potential.

Loopop just did a comprehensive review of the DeepMind on YouTube. I always find his videos to be very thorough and helpful.

Programming the JX-3P without the PG-200 would be annoying. I'd go deepmind.

The Deepmind keyboard is velocity sensitive with aftertouch.

I think the JX-3P is just note on off through its midi outputs so not much good as a controller keyboard if this matters to you.

It is 61 keys versus the Deepmind 49 though.

As much as I love the vintage synths, my concern is reliability and how well they were cared for. I like the integration of the newer synths with USB, software editors / librarians.

My choice was a Deepmind 12D + the roland boutique SE-02. Eagerly awaiting other Behringer remakes of classic synths.

dellboy wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:01 pm It is 61 keys versus the Deepmind 49 though.
OP was building his own midi controller (from scratch) so surely that's no problem :-P
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”