Delay and Reverb in mix stage

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Should a sound either be delayed or reverberated and not both, can a sound with delay have reverb too but keep the delay & reverb separate or is it a case of anything goes ?

From experimenting I don't feel delay feeds into reverb very well, it seems like the delay gets washed out in the verb, feeding reverb into delay can create some interesting sound design but that should really be done pre mix when you're sound designing and not mixing

Also is it ok to haas effect a sound and then add for example 1/8d delay to it or does adding the additional delay to the micro delay do something weird and break what you're trying to achieve via haas or even cause phase issues or something similar ?

:tu:

It all depends on the situation!

Predelay built into many reverbs to give the initial transients of the dry sound more room to breathe, but of course predelay is typically a single time period of delay without feedback. And the classic Roland Space Echo packs both effects in there. Using a delay (or reverb) with a Diffusion parameter lets you control the continuum between discrete echoes and a more amorphous wash. I more often use reverb and delay on separate returns, on the occasions when I feed one into the other I'll probably filter and/or mix in some dry signal to maintain clarity.

AFAIK the Haas precedence effect works with delays up to about 30ms, using compound ryhthmic delays on top of that may sound interesting but will likely defeat the intended purpose.

theres no hard and fast rules. use what works in a given situation.

as you mention, delay before reverb can become washed out and blurred, which wont work in all situations but a lot of recent post rock/ambient guitar stuff, uses that to great effect.

it's a case of knowing what a chain will do, and whether that's what your idea requires.

Okay and are there any good ways to go about being organised for reverb/delay, is it good to have say 3 FX sends for short, medium and long verbs and then say 2 or 3 delay FX sends for a few different delay flavours

Also when it comes to percussion is it another flavour to suit are there certain elements you would never add reverb to like certain hihat hits ?

Regarding your percussion question: I find some verb on snare and hats are nice especially if I want it roomy and chill. kick I tend to keep dry.
All a matter of taste and style.

Return to “Production Techniques”