Roland JX-3P vs. Deepmind 12

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BertKoor wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:26 pm
dellboy wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:01 pm It is 61 keys versus the Deepmind 49 though.
OP was building his own midi controller (from scratch) so surely that's no problem :-P
BertKoor wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:26 pm
dellboy wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:01 pm It is 61 keys versus the Deepmind 49 though.
OP was building his own midi controller (from scratch) so surely that's no problem :-P
What I don't get is why everyone here seems to apparently hate me. I don't think I've been rude to anyone, I'm just asking questions.

As far as I know, all I've done is kindly asked for people's opinions, and all I've gotten are little insinuations that I'm guessing are coming from the whole DIY Synth thing.

What is it about that that people seem to hate so much? I just wanted help, and I had already tried to look around for what I was looking for, synth components, but I couldn't find anything, really, so I went to ask on this site, thinking that someone might have an idea. Based on some of the responses I've got, I realize now that what I was looking for isn't possible, but at that time, I didn't.

It was my first big project idea I've ever had, and I was really passionate about it, but now I'm not so much. I sometimes get really big, crazy ideas, and then get really excited about them, and don't really realize just how difficult they actually are. The DIY Synth was one of those ideas.

I'm sorry if I upset anyone, but honestly, why does everyone seem to hate me now?

:neutral:

Of those 2 i would choose Deepmind 12.
But if it is 80's sound you are after why not go for a System 8 instead which has the Juno, JX3P and the Jupiter ACB built in?

And here is many free soundbanks for the System 8:
https://aira.roland.com/soundlibrary-cat/system-8/

Oh. Btw. Does anyone have a System 8 and the Cloud version?
Would love to have these presets in my System 8 Cloud version too.

I'd definitely choose the Deepmind. More voices, better programming, more functionality, and less maintaining vintage hardware.

Actually, i think the Deepmind sounds absolutely sweet, at least from what i heard in sound demos. Great synth in my book. Whether or not my opinion is of relevance to you is another thing. After all, you part with a lot of money here, so, consider wisely...

Sorry to have touched something, but there's definitely no hate here.

You're totally entitled to have big dreams. All the power to you. But you ask assistance in public, so we are oblidged to say honestly what we think. Not??

Nb: no idea you stopped with the controller project. Last thing I heard was you found a factory for plastic molds (costs $20.000 maybe, but still) and you were shopping for backlit push buttons.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I was, and I think a bit after that I came up with a good controller to use for parts (Behringer MOTÖR 61), and I might still try to work on it, I don't know. But right now I've put it to the side.

Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:07 pm

What I don't get is why everyone here seems to apparently hate me. I don't think I've been rude to anyone, I'm just asking questions.

As far as I know, all I've done is kindly asked for people's opinions, and all I've gotten are little insinuations that I'm guessing are coming from the whole DIY Synth thing.

I am not sure what I said that would trigger your response, but I had zero knowledge about your previous posts on DIY controllers.

It would have been helpful if you had mentioned your onging DIY project and how this posts relates to it, and given a link to your previous thread.

After all, there are an awful lot of threads and posts on KVR and I probably only ever read 1% of them, (maybe 2% :lol: )

dellboy wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:23 pm
Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:07 pm

I am not sure what I said that would trigger your response, but I had zero knowledge about your previous posts on DIY controllers.

It would have been helpful if you had mentioned your onging DIY project and how this posts relates to it, and given a link to your previous thread.

After all, there are an awful lot of threads and posts on KVR and I probably only ever read 1% of them, (maybe 2% :lol: )
Nothing that you said triggered my response, it was what BertKoor said.

Even with 2 osc instead of 1, it's not like the JX is as desirable as a Juno 60 or 106, so for me it's a no brainer, just get the Deepmind and forget about 3p.

Or you can buy a second hand workstation , like I did a Korg M3 with Radias exb inside and you have more then DM12 or Roland can offer ...

I don't know what OP appreciate in a synth - if to make his own sounds or not.
So even comparing the JX3P to Deepmind is kind of absurd if you want to make your own.
I think you really fast grow past JX3P.

JX3P har 16 user preset memory locations to store you own - and then you are full - and has to send that with sysex to computer or something. There are 32 factory presets to start with if so. As with anything Roland - takes notes which of those 16 you are willing to overwrite on beforehand - since there is no compare/preview of destination you are about to replace.

Deepmind has 1024 memory locations - all overwritable with your own, compare feature before overwriting a location. It even help you to restore if you by accident change to another preset without saving a modified one you are on - just press compare button and you revert. This is clever in regard to those liking to make their own sounds.

Cross modulations - letting source parameters modify destinations parameters with individual amount - Deepmind has 8 of those connections selecting from 30 sources or so and 130+ destination all over to effects section. This is headroom if anything.

Effects in Deepmind can easily be selected being analog path all the way - by using the digital effect section only as digital by using send to effects. Or use effects as inserts and it goes digital right there - your choice.

When I explore a synths various corners of territories you can go - I save 20-30 presets an hour or so - to keep coming back to some and go in other directions.

If you are thrilled about what JX3P offer - get both JX3P and a Deepmind 6 - just about the same money as Deepmind 12. I'm more than satisfied with the 6 voices in DM6. But maybe a bit limiting playing twohanded as wide as on piano with DM6 - probably if only keyboard a point to consider.

And getting both - means you don't have to spend money on the key part to Boutiques. You use DM6 to play JX3P.

So have you decided which to go for, I have a JD800 and am considering (at the moment) replacing it with a Deepmind12 based on what I have heard on demos. The JD sounds good but its a big heavy beast and is missing some kind of built in arp/ seq, which I would like, and those fx on the DM turn it from a basic sounding synth into something special imho.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Since you never seem to be able to make up your mind (judging by the number of threads asking essentially the same thing again and again), why not just get both and stop agonizing over it? :)

The JX-3P isn't that expensive without the programmer, and if money is an issue, you can quite easily find a second-hand DM12 Desktop or DM6 for an even lower price than a DM12 Kb. The total wouldn't be that much higher than a new DM12 Kb. Or just buy a brand new DM12 now and then wait for a good deal on a JX-3P.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”