Free: Oberom

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SampleScience wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:19 am
Halonmusic wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:26 pm
layzer wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:35 am
Halonmusic wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:24 am I dont get it. You can just use Oberon by Land Of Cockaigne :? I use that synth quite a lot.
oberon is a 32bit SE synth.. i get that, but still... a sampled SE synth? :scared:
Indeed.
It might be hard to understand, but it's not everyone who uses a computer with Windows and a 32-bit bridge DAW. Here's the list of DAWs that doesn't load 32-bit VSTs (unless jBridge is used):

Ableton Live
Cubase
Presonus Studio One 4
Waveform 9
Digital Performer
Maschine

Add to that GarageBand and Logic Pro and you end up with the vast majority of people not having access to Windows 32-bit VST plugins.

I've used jBridge myself and always had stability issues with it (it crashed my projects). I know it works well for some people, good for them (I wish it worked for me!).

Furthermore, there are fans of the original Oberon out there who really likes its filters but can't access anymore because to upgraded or switch to Mac. This is for them! :party: :tu:
Yes you are of course right. I mostly work with 32bit plugins myself so no problem for me, but Oberom seems like a great thing for those who cant use Oberon anymore. Also i do appreciate your work, so thank you :tu:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

The plugin tries to populate 32 mixer channels. Is that a limitation of the Maize Sampler demo ?

Anyway I remember Oberon being one of the first SE plugins released and back in the day it sounded pretty good but these days it's sounding really outdated judging by the patches you sampled.

So it's not for me but generosity is always appreciated. Thanks for sharing..... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:45 pm The plugin tries to populate 32 mixer channels. Is that a limitation of the Maize Sampler demo ?
It's actually a limitation of the full version. :oops: But it just shows up that way in Reaper if I remember well.
Teksonik wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:45 pmAnyway I remember Oberon being one of the first SE plugins released and back in the day it sounded pretty good but these days it's sounding really outdated judging by the patches you sampled.

So it's not for me but generosity is always appreciated. Thanks for sharing..... :tu:
I've read somewhere that it didn't use the stock modules in SE, hence it's very thick sound à la Arp 2600. I don't know if it's true though, to my ears it definitely sounds different compared to other SE synths.

Here's a little tip for those with 64 bit only DAWS that also love and use a lot of classic 32 bit VSTs.....like me. I'm a Studio One user, (and I admit I'm biased....I was also a Presonus forum mod for a few years), and I use a LOT of 32 bit plugs. I know that J-Bridge is a less than perfect solution. It works better with some plugs than others but here's my workaround for that. All you need to do is bridge ONE 32 bit VST HOST plugin. Like Xlutop Chainer, Plogue Bidule, DDMF Metaplugin....etc. Then load your other UNBRIDGED 32 bit plugs in that host in your DAW. VOILA!! :D

Cheers.....CL :oops:
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

CapnLockheed wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:55 pm Here's a little tip for those with 64 bit only DAWS that also love and use a lot of classic 32 bit VSTs.....like me. I'm a Studio One user, (and I admit I'm biased....I was also a Presonus forum mod for a few years), and I use a LOT of 32 bit plugs. I know that J-Bridge is a less than perfect solution. It works better with some plugs than others but here's my workaround for that. All you need to do is bridge ONE 32 bit VST HOST plugin. Like Xlutop Chainer, Plogue Bidule, DDMF Metaplugin....etc. Then load your other UNBRIDGED 32 bit plugs in that host in your DAW. VOILA!! :D

:lol: Nice trick, if it's stable on Studio One then it's great to share the information. I use FL Studio 20 and jBridge randomly crashes in it, no matter the number of bridged plugins.

Still, interesting solution. :tu:

SampleScience wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:21 pm
CapnLockheed wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:55 pm Here's a little tip for those with 64 bit only DAWS that also love and use a lot of classic 32 bit VSTs.....like me. I'm a Studio One user, (and I admit I'm biased....I was also a Presonus forum mod for a few years), and I use a LOT of 32 bit plugs. I know that J-Bridge is a less than perfect solution. It works better with some plugs than others but here's my workaround for that. All you need to do is bridge ONE 32 bit VST HOST plugin. Like Xlutop Chainer, Plogue Bidule, DDMF Metaplugin....etc. Then load your other UNBRIDGED 32 bit plugs in that host in your DAW. VOILA!! :D

:lol: Nice trick, if it's stable on Studio One then it's great to share the information. I use FL Studio 20 and jBridge randomly crashes in it, no matter the number of bridged plugins.

But FL Studio got a inbuilt bridge.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:20 am

A few years ago some plugin developers used to sell 64-bit versions of their plugins wrapped in jBridge (G-Sonique, SuperWaves). The only way to know they used jBridge was to look at the task manager or extract the info from the .dll, which I did.

It wasn't working well, I personally did a lot of tests with jBridge to see if it was reliable to create SE and FS made plugins in glorious 64-bit, but it wasn't.

FL Studio build-in bridge works well most of the time, I use it myself and find it's the best bridge with Reaper's 32-bit bridge. However, recently it got more and more unreliable. I suspect it's not the fault of FL Studio bridge (which is really good), but more a problem with the old 32-bit plugins themselves. Hence my little series of sampled 32-bit only plugins.

SampleScience wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:38 am
Halonmusic wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:20 am

A few years ago some plugin developers used to sell 64-bit versions of their plugins wrapped in jBridge (G-Sonique, SuperWaves). The only way to know they used jBridge was to look at the task manager or extract the info from the .dll, which I did.

It wasn't working well, I personally did a lot of tests with jBridge to see if it was reliable to create SE and FS made plugins in glorious 64-bit, but it wasn't.

FL Studio build-in bridge works well most of the time, I use it myself and find it's the best bridge with Reaper's 32-bit bridge. However, recently it got more and more unreliable. I suspect it's not the fault of FL Studio bridge (which is really good), but more a problem with the old 32-bit plugins themselves. Hence my little series of sampled 32-bit only plugins.
Ah i understand. :)

Maybe I don't quite understand. This is sample based right? But when I download the AU version all I get is a component file. So the samples are packaged in the component file? So if I want to install the VST and VST3 versions as well I have to store 3 copies of the same samples on my hard drive?

I also downloaded the SQ80, which I really like so far, but the component file is 1GB! So again, if I want AU, VST, and VST3 (so I can use it in various DAW's and plugin shells such as Komplete Kontrol) then I have to have 3 GBs of samples on my hard drive for just a handful of presets?
And the worst part is that I can't put them on an external drive because everything is baked in to the actual plugin files in the AU and VST folders (which on Mac you can'tove, at least not easily).

Correct me if I'm wrong and Sample Science please don't take offense. These are nice plugins but maybe a little to costly for me in terms of hard drive space on my limited imac internal SDD.

Local Man wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:04 pm And the worst part is that I can't put them on an external drive because everything is baked in to the actual plugin files in the AU and VST folders (which on Mac you can'tove, at least not easily).
You're wrong and you didn't take the time to read SQ8ROM's (very concise) documentation. Nothing is baked in the plugins. From SQ8ROM webpage:

https://www.samplescience.ca/p/how-to-l ... q8rom.html

For Oberom, it's the same process, except that you have to double click on the preset name to load the mse files. Or you could just load the Oberom's mse files using SQ8ROM and discard Oberom's component/dll/vst/vst3 altogether. That's why it's written that SQ8ROM is a mse player too on its webpage.

So if you want the various formats of the plugin, purge their mse files content except one (so the plugin can load) and keep your selection of mse on your external hard drive or wherever you keep your sound files.

You could do this with any Maize made plugins and just keep SQ8ROM as a mse file player. :tu:

SampleScience wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:06 am
Local Man wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:04 pm And the worst part is that I can't put them on an external drive because everything is baked in to the actual plugin files in the AU and VST folders (which on Mac you can'tove, at least not easily).
You're wrong and you didn't take the time to read SQ8ROM's (very concise) documentation. Nothing is baked in the plugins. From SQ8ROM webpage:

https://www.samplescience.ca/p/how-to-l ... q8rom.html

For Oberom, it's the same process, except that you have to double click on the preset name to load the mse files. Or you could just load the Oberom's mse files using SQ8ROM and discard Oberom's component/dll/vst/vst3 altogether. That's why it's written that SQ8ROM is a mse player too on its webpage.

So if you want the various formats of the plugin, purge their mse files content except one (so the plugin can load) and keep your selection of mse on your external hard drive or wherever you keep your sound files.

You could do this with any Maize made plugins and just keep SQ8ROM as a mse file player. :tu:
Excellent, thank you.
It's good to be wrong when you don't want to be right.

I've got 1 email from someone who has high CPU usage on macOS. Anybody here experienced the same issue? Usually, it's from people who use an older version of macOS than the one I support, but I want to be sure I'm not in the wrong here.

Also, from my tests, the VST3 version works well, but I'm not 100% sure it's the case for everyone. I've got 2 users who had problems with it, but that's pretty much it. 2 out of 10 000 + users aren't a lot, but I suspect most people download the VST2 anyways.

In any case, if you have problems with Oberom, let me know and I'll do my best to fix them.

Local Man wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:14 amExcellent, thank you.
It's good to be wrong when you don't want to be right.
:) More of this in the world.

I haven't had any cpu problem with a 2112 mac mini running on an SSD. I just ran a few instances and it's quite low.

Hello !

I wish you could do the same for some old famous hardware preset synths, as for example the ARP Pro-Soloist (the most used synth by Tony Banks in the 70s), the ARP Pro/DGX (used by Tangerine Dream at the end of the 70s), the Casio CT-401, the EKO EKOsynth P15, the Farfisa Syntorchestra (a huge representative of Klaus Schulze's first decade), the Farfisa Soundmaker, the Korg Lambda ES50, the Moog Minitmoog, the Roland SH-1000 (Human League, Vangelis...), the Roland SH-2000 (Mike Oldfield, Human League...), the SIEL MK900 (MK as "Mystery Keyboard") with its built-in drumkit unit among its presets), the Teisco S100P, the Yamaha SY-1 (John Williams on several soundtracks), and so on...

These synths were very used in prog-rock, in symphonic rock, in cosmic rock, and in krautrock. Styles which still have lovers and composers today.

Being essentially based on static presets they would probably need not a lot of work to sample them, the only difficulty being to find good examples of their sounds without any downstream filter or effect.

I think that it could be an excellent collection (freeware or cheapware, depending the researches and the work to spend to sample them) to make the old generation of musicians retrieve some good old sounds or to make the new generation of young musicians to discover some of these great sound machines which were the basis of the first experiments without which today's synths would probably not exist... and which have probably still a lot of unexpected sounds to enjoy in new songs. It could also make of SampleScience a vault of rare old gems in the sample world.

:)

It's just a suggestion, of course...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:18 am It's just a suggestion, of course...
And a very good one! :tu:

I think you're spot on for these, they really fit my approach and there is indeed a market for them.

In my city, there's a guy who rents vintage synths, I'll see if he has any of the ones you mentioned. It certainly worth a look!

Return to “Instruments”