Synths that allow keytracking of the noise oscillator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

exmatproton wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:13 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:44 am
exmatproton wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:47 am Serum can (as well)
Yes I know. The OP knows also.
:dog: :dog: :dog:

Typical sunday post........
:lol: :tu:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

you said it yourself, you are looking for wavetables. so use a wavetable synth?
you dont even need one that can import your own wavetables, i would be surprised if there was a wavetable synth on the market without an included noise wavetable.

parricide wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:34 am you said it yourself, you are looking for wavetables. so use a wavetable synth?
you dont even need one that can import your own wavetables, i would be surprised if there was a wavetable synth on the market without an included noise wavetable.
I am still getting the best results from Serum so I think this could be true.
I still have Massive to try first but if that doesn't work like I want then I'll look at something like Pigments or Parallels. That said, I'd rather not spend any money to complete this tiny section of the track so will most likely end up defaulting back to Serum.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:37 am
parricide wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:34 am you said it yourself, you are looking for wavetables. so use a wavetable synth?
I am still getting the best results from Serum so I think this could be true.
I still have Massive to try first but if that doesn't work like I want then I'll look at something like Pigments or Parallels. That said, I'd rather not spend any money to complete this tiny section of the track so will most likely end up defaulting back to Serum.
why are you trying to avoid serum? is it only because you want to use a different synth? or are you looking to achieve something different to what serum can do?

parricide wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:49 am why are you trying to avoid serum? is it only because you want to use a different synth? or are you looking to achieve something different to what serum can do?
Just for something different. I love Serum to bits and use it constantly on absolutely everything. On the latest track I made a concious effort to use as many synths in my arsenal as possible rather than simply defaulting to Serum/Sylenth.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:44 am
AJYoung wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:31 am You wouldn't need to manually automate the BP filter, as long as the Synth you use has Filter Keytracking (which almost every synth I've used does).

General steps:

Turn only the noise on as a sound source, no other osciallators.
Pick a bandpass filter. Make it resonant.
Turn Keytracking on the filter to 100%. That way the filter moves up/down exactly the same amount as you go up/down the keyboard.
Tune the cutoff of the bandpass filter so that it's frequency is that of the notes you're playing. You may need a frequency analyzer to do this.
Thanks for that info. I haven't used Massive in this project so it could indeed be a solution. I will replicate the patch today :tu:
I think Massive is the winner. Just built a patch that will work perfectly 8)
The other criteria (although I had workarounds) was that it have a second filter which Massive does.

AJYoung wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:31 am You wouldn't need to manually automate the BP filter, as long as the Synth you use has Filter Keytracking (which almost every synth I've used does).

General steps:

Turn only the noise on as a sound source, no other osciallators.
Pick a bandpass filter. Make it resonant.
Turn Keytracking on the filter to 100%. That way the filter moves up/down exactly the same amount as you go up/down the keyboard.
Tune the cutoff of the bandpass filter so that it's frequency is that of the notes you're playing. You may need a frequency analyzer to do this.
Yup.

Charlatan can do this, and it's free.

:party:

Andywanders wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:35 pmYup.

Charlatan can do this, and it's free.

:party:
Just downloaded and tried. Works a treat, thanks.

I do think Massive takes it though, just on account of the multiple noise options.

If you want 'analog style' noise as its known from old arcade games and pinball machines, (like you find for instance in Defender and Fire Power etc by Williams), you need not look further than MauSynth. Because: In addition to the 'regular' noise oscillator, MauSynths Osc2 also has a (pulse-based) noise oscillator and so keytracking is automatic. (Unless of course you turn it off.) It gives you the complete spectrum from audible individual pulses to very bright noise and it sounds exactly as it does on the machines i just mentioned. And no filter or anything necessary, its all via notes.

(Rightclick image and select 'View Image' to view fullsize.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ENV1 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:45 pmIf you want 'analog style' noise as its known from old arcade games and pinball machines, (like you find for instance in Defender and Fire Power etc by Williams), you need not look further than MauSynth. Because: In addition to the 'regular' noise oscillator, MauSynths Osc2 also has a (pulse-based) noise oscillator and so keytracking is automatic. (Unless of course you turn it off.) It gives you the complete spectrum from audible individual pulses to very bright noise and it sounds exactly as it does on the machines i just mentioned. And no filter or anything necessary, its all via notes.
Downloaded and tried, on the shortlist it goes. It does have quite a pleasant, listenable noise which could sit in the track well.

Essentially I have a (white) noise filter sweep (like 99.99% of all electronic tracks) leading to a drop. I was thinking of extending that noise so that it's a melody first which then drops into a single note and then the sweep. Still yet to see if it works as anticipated though. It could sound rubbish :shrug:

Cool idea. If the pitched noise doesn't sound the way you want, you can probably achieve something similar using non-pitched noise together with a pitched signal with the same rhythm. Start by mixing in the noise such that it sounds like a new part of the pitched sound and then eventually let the noise start taking over. Other than the obvious volume crossfade, changing the amp envelopes of the two sounds such that decay/sustain of the noise increase while they decrease for the pitched sound can help a lot.

Bandpass filters can also do wonders in this situation: try adding one to each sound, with a pretty narrow Q for the noise and a wide open one for the pitched signal. Once it's transition time, crossfade these as well and the noise should start taking over the frequency spectrum in a much more natural-sounding way.

Electra2, Icarus, RayBlaster

Thanks everybody. I went with Massive in the end, but then drowned it in a flanger so it didn't really matter anyway :oops:

Pretty sure Madrona Labs Aalto can do that, as well as anything else you want it to

For various flavours of modulatable noise try the noise oscillator in Surge, it's now open-source and free and all: https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/

Return to “Instruments”