Poll: How about an alliance against Apple strategies? (Catalina, OpenGL...)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic

Are you in?

Hell yeah!
49%
Let's try and revisit in a few months!
18%
I'm scared! Users would crucify us! :)
5%
No, I'm fine with what Apple does!
28%

Total votes: 143

RELATED
PRODUCTS

MacGyver wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:04 pmBest is then to use Apple apps only and accept you have to buy a completely new Mac each 4 years or so, without a rational reason other than planned obsolescence.
Every four years? Sounds like pretty bad luck , to me :shrug:

Assembler isn't relevant anymore, though those of us, who love optimization use intrinsics (sort of compiler optimizable proxies to asm instructions). But that's fine, we can survive without these optimizations. The biggest concern there to me will be technological differences - I assume ARM is big endian (which never made sense to me) and Intel stuff is little endian. I think these things won't be a huge deal, but who knows. You know I like things simple, and another platform is the opposite of simple. Anyways the new CPU I can understand (despite I cannot imagine it would compete Intel stuff, at least not for performance stuff, yes for energy efficiency though).

My main concern with Apple's general strategy is the constant implementation of crappy technologies and then deprecating them. The cherry on top is forcing developers to use a different programming language, we all know what I'm talking about :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MacGyver wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:04 pmBest is then to use Apple apps only and accept you have to buy a completely new Mac each 4 years or so, without a rational reason other than planned obsolescence.
At the current state of the new hardware, you can change your mac every week

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/20 ... r.2128976/
{"panic_string":"BAD MAGIC! :shrug: (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available"} "Apple did not respond to a request for comment."

Haptix wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:13 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:08 pm

When you have to replace every word I wrote just to try to make a relevant point, you have clearly nothing worthwhile to say. What an underhanded piece of shit you are :scared:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:20 pm
Haptix wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:13 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:08 pm

When you have to replace every word I wrote just to try to make a relevant point, you have clearly nothing worthwhile to say. What an underhanded piece of shit you are :scared:
My bad, I f**ked it up, but I corrected it as well. Thank you for your kind words sir
{"panic_string":"BAD MAGIC! :shrug: (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available"} "Apple did not respond to a request for comment."

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:20 pm When you have to replace every word I wrote just to try to make a relevant point, you have clearly nothing worthwhile to say. What an underhanded piece of shit you are :scared:
Guys, no need to spill bad blood here!
Macs are good computers, PCs (the good ones) are good computers, some of each die once in a while, that's the nature of laws of thermodynamics :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

I simply couldn't (and also didn't want to) pay those repair prices being higher than a new Mac. And later it turned out, the causes were like 5$ problems. That made me feel like being tricked actually. I switched to Hackintosh then and for a long time now I have the best of both worlds, I stable, reliable hardware and a nice software. But this seems to end now. I also still have a "real" mac. The last for me.

MacGyver wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:24 pm I simply couldn't (and also didn't want to) pay those repair prices being higher than a new Mac. And later it turned out, the causes were like 5$ problems. That made me feel like being tricked actually. I switched to Hackintosh then and for a long time now I have the best of both worlds, I stable, reliable hardware and a nice software. But this seems to end now. I also still have a "real" mac. The last for me.
That's unfortunate!

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:20 pm When you have to replace every word I wrote just to try to make a relevant point, you have clearly nothing worthwhile to say. What an underhanded piece of shit you are :scared:
Hm, why don't you join IS instead posting your fanaticism und intolerance here? Wrong forum! Or are you Tim Cook? I have no idea why you are so insulted and insulting.
Last edited by MacGyver on Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MacGyver wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:24 pm I simply couldn't (and also didn't want to) pay those repair prices being higher than a new Mac. And later it turned out, the causes were like 5$ problems. That made me feel like being tricked actually. I switched to Hackintosh then and for a long time now I have the best of both worlds, I stable, reliable hardware and a nice software. But this seems to end now. I also still have a "real" mac. The last for me.
I don't like the Apple policies in this either. Here the EU is basically forcing Apple to even provide repairs, while afaik Applestor guys are ordered to suggest buying a new computer even if they know a problem is just in the software... For me as a bit of an environmentalist... not a good thing...
I had a problem with my Dell, a few days later a guy came to my place, opened the computer, replaced something, no question asked, no money wanted... 15 minutes , all done... That's how it should be!
Vojtech

You know, you could get Applecare+ and you could pay those fees monthly. Only thing is that you can only fry those cpus just twice every 2 years. To my knowledge Applecare+ covers two returns/fixes per 2 years, but I dont know. I do not have it.

MeldaProduction wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:34 pm I don't like the Apple policies in this either. Here the EU is basically forcing Apple to even provide repairs, while afaik Applestor guys are ordered to suggest buying a new computer even if they know a problem is just in the software... For me as a bit of an environmentalist... not a good thing...
I had a problem with my Dell, a few days later a guy came to my place, opened the computer, replaced something, no question asked, no money wanted... 15 minutes , all done... That's how it should be!
Wow nice, I actually had the same experience with my Sony VAIO notebook, which once had a cpu error. Was picked-up and returned freely within 3 days! I also used that machine as hackintosh many years. And I also didn't have a "VAIO-care" or something. :lol:

MacGyver wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:31 pm
Hm, why don't you join IS instead posting your fanaticism und intolerance here? Wrong forum! Or are you Tim Cook? I have no idea why you are so insulted.
Several posts are reported but it seems that he have free hand to continue to insult other members to his liking.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Yup, this happens when regular users enter developer forum :D
Vojtech

MacGyver wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:31 pm
Hm, why don't you join IS instead posting your fanaticism und intolerance here? Wrong forum! Or are you Tim Cook? I have no idea why you are so insulted.
If people want to call me an idiot for the words I write, that's fair game. But I don't happen to think that it is acceptable to re-write someone's posts. It's underhanded, which I think I made quite clear.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”