Pick your PICK!!

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Noodlist wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:59 pm More Eddie Van Halen pick theory.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -pick.html
Smoking has a lot to answer for. A few years ago, I bumped in to an old workmate, he told me he had suffered a stroke. He was known as an heavy smoker but said it was nothing to do cigarettes.

I know a few people who have suffered strokes and heart attacks in their late forties and early fifties, all of them smoked. Not saying it doesn't happen to non-smokers, but smoking could be a large factor.

My Brother was a heavy smoker. When he quit smoking he ate to compensate. He ate a lot of greasy salty foods. His body couldn't handle the wieght gain or all the additional fat. He's had five heart attacks starting sic months after quitting smoking. No matter what he does he can't get the weight off nor can he change his high stress job.

Both my paternal grandparents smoked well into their 80's Both died at the age of 100.

My parents quit smoking in the 60's right after the surgeon generals report was published. My mother's cancer appeared 15 years later.

I know a 36 year old woman who has never smoked. She's had cervical cancer and skin cancer and now...Breast cancer.

Many cancer research centers now support the link to dna and cancer. They don't like emphasizing it because... It could cut research money and to them research money is more important than a cure. A friend of mine was a researcher at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karmanos_Cancer_Institute. He said that due to the way cancer fails to die using various stimuli that would kill most all organic life it must be genetic. No he wasn't a doctor, just a researcher. Now he is a Doctor.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Forgotten wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:16 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:05 am Hey man, I don't care. He WAS a heavy smoker (if not now) and it should be left at that. The CONSTANT ciggies in the headstock position should account for that.

Or you could be dis hinged from reality and say "hey, he didn't smoke that much" and be wrong categorically.................
I think Eddie was easily swayed by all kinds of conspiracy theories though, so no surprise that he would come up with one of his own...
All I'm saying is that he WAS a heavy smoker. It's obvious. Whether it led to cancer or not, I dunno, but he was a heavy smoker. Looks as though there might be cancer again? Let's hope not. (hard to believe what is on the interwezses..........)

tapper mike wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:26 pm
The Noodlist wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:59 pm More Eddie Van Halen pick theory.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -pick.html
Smoking has a lot to answer for. A few years ago, I bumped in to an old workmate, he told me he had suffered a stroke. He was known as an heavy smoker but said it was nothing to do cigarettes.

I know a few people who have suffered strokes and heart attacks in their late forties and early fifties, all of them smoked. Not saying it doesn't happen to non-smokers, but smoking could be a large factor.

My Brother was a heavy smoker. When he quit smoking he ate to compensate. He ate a lot of greasy salty foods. His body couldn't handle the wieght gain or all the additional fat. He's had five heart attacks starting sic months after quitting smoking. No matter what he does he can't get the weight off nor can he change his high stress job.

Both my paternal grandparents smoked well into their 80's Both died at the age of 100.

My parents quit smoking in the 60's right after the surgeon generals report was published. My mother's cancer appeared 15 years later.

I know a 36 year old woman who has never smoked. She's had cervical cancer and skin cancer and now...Breast cancer.

Many cancer research centers now support the link to dna and cancer. They don't like emphasizing it because... It could cut research money and to them research money is more important than a cure. A friend of mine was a researcher at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karmanos_Cancer_Institute. He said that due to the way cancer fails to die using various stimuli that would kill most all organic life it must be genetic. No he wasn't a doctor, just a researcher. Now he is a Doctor.
This all sucks ass, and I'm not some buffoon that doesn't get it, but I want to talk about PICK's :D

I'm LOVING my Dunlop "FLOW" picks. The "jazz III's) I was using are Ok but these are a little larger, and more manageable. I'm not "crazy" about the textured grip, but it's not obtrusive.

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:41 am I'm LOVING my Dunlop "FLOW" picks. The "jazz III's) I was using are Ok but these are a little larger, and more manageable. I'm not "crazy" about the textured grip, but it's not obtrusive.
What thickness are you using?
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:14 am
reggie1979 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:41 am I'm LOVING my Dunlop "FLOW" picks. The "jazz III's) I was using are Ok but these are a little larger, and more manageable. I'm not "crazy" about the textured grip, but it's not obtrusive.
What thickness are you using?
1.0 mm, it's what they had in stock. Why I like them is because they are little bigger than the Jazz III's and I feel like it gives me more control. All very subjective of course.

Lemme explain something.........I feel like I'm an ignoramus with this. This is WHY I started this thread. No two picks are the same, and SHAME on the person who feels different than that way. But we do play guitar or bass, or whatever. And we have some opinions, and we know some things :) So I've personally LOVED this thread and thing that most of it is w/o shame or fear and has been for the benefit of all.

All I can say is how awesome that is and KEEP IT COMING!

I definitely don’t like flexibility in picks - the flexibility should come from movement of your wrist, not from the pick. Don’t play anything less than 1mm unless it’s the only pick available.

https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-Tortex-St ... B000UJHNME ..... I used to like a lighter pick but stepped up to this thickness .... Recording the guitar and hearing the pick noise is what made me use a thicker pick . The thinner pick made for a horrible recording .

Again, I'm SHOCKED by my recent pick trail. I had many horses in this race and came to ONE overwhelming conclusion: You have choices and it's up to each and everyone of you to trail and determine for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's cheap and easy, and you MIGHT get something other than what you expect!!!!!!!!!!

Currently flirting with Jazz IIIs in carbon fiber with max grip; they give a certain resonance and solidity to my Epi LP Special (mahogany slab, P90s). Upgrading from Epi pups would be a better idea, but picks are a lot cheaper.

I still find fingers more natural, though; I blame Robbie Krieger and Jeff Beck.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

My old teacher would cringe when I played with my fingers. Mostly because there was no nail there. I've tried every fingerpick solution on the market but.... I can't tap and fingerpick with them. It's either one or the other. I'm not going to spend money on weekly manicures because with me they would last one day.

The tone and volume and speed suffer when you use straight flesh though. What's funny is this actually affects picking output more on yrg's and artiphon. Although it works well for the rubber nurbs / string triggers on ztars.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

reggie1979 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:33 pm I use these right now, they are OK.

I want to try something else. I'm not a shredder but maybe something just slightly softer (like maybe a 1 mm ) and something more "normal" sized.

Despite some people, I'm very sensitive to things like this. So, show me/tell me what you use and why!
been jazzing iii for years
also petrucci's one is good

Yeah, but that thing is THICK right?

Watch the video again...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtK3dB7aLwM

Clarity can come from thicker picks it's a matter of the edges being tapered properly and the tip being pointy.

Return to “Guitars”