Is recording a guitar amp still necessary?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There's also the recording chain to take in to consideration when using an amp. I find there to be more headroom when using a cab, mic and preamp. With things sounding more open.
My stray copy sounds totally different direct compared to using an amp.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

forwardaudio wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:42 pm Hey guys, happy guitar month! :party:

We'd like to take the chance and ask about your recording behaviour.

Is recording an amp or cabinet still necessary in times where profiling, amp simulations and IR plugins are available? And if so, how many microphones on average do you actually use to get the best results?

Looking forward to some interesting viewpoints or tips & tricks!

Is recording an amp or cabinet still necessary in times where profiling, amp simulations and IR plugins are available? And if so, how many microphones on average do you actually use to get the best results?

Of course it is! What a stupid question. Don't mean to be rude. But I'm not sure you really know what you are talking about.

Is recording an amp or cabinet still necessary in times where profiling, amp simulations and IR plugins are available?

What if I don't have a computer?

What if I don't have my computer turned on when inspiration strikes?

What if I don't want to faff with my computer when I have my amp turned on and ready to go, and it's providing me with that sweet sweet inspiration I so crave?

Just a few variables.

Do you really think guitarists are going through amp sims on their laptops via their interfaces all the time when they play?

Did you honestly think someone was going to turn around and say to you 'oh amps are redundant - don't use them anymore - got amp sims' ? - guitarists of all musicians are the ultimate fetishists. Getting them to stop using amps is like getting pilots to stop using airplanes.

Then again, it's not even fetishism. Why would a butcher stop using his favorite knife?

I realise you got an angle to sell, but still...

I don't think you have really thought this question through very well.

Guitarists like guitars.

They like to plug them in to amps.

They sometimes hook them amps up to computers.

They sometimes even forego amps to go through computers to get a certain sound.

Most guitarists don't plug in a guitar, turn on their computer, open up their favourite DAW, turn on their fave amp sim, fiddle for a bit, route it out to a bus, then get ready to hit the big RED button when it's all good.

They plug a guitar in to an amp.

They then use a portable recorder to capture the sound if it's good. Or maybe line out to a DAW or other recorder.

Mileage will vary, but still.

Your initial proposition is just preposterous.

It assumes an always turned on computer with software always ready to go. And neglects the fact that most guitarists like to run through real life amp and speakers, no matter how small (see the proliferation of small practice amps).

Hopefully that was an interesting enough viewpoint for you.

Check out this thread if you are interested in how I record my guitars. Don't mean to cross-post. But it just seemed better I post that there. You might find this useful (or not).

viewtopic.php?f=298&t=529401&p=7542292#p7542292

No debate that an amp isn't necessary for recording if you have all the necessary software etc set up. I'm recording my bass without even owning an amp.

In terms of preference or simply playing rather than recoding however, opinions exist. I'm new to the guitar world and will be buying an amp when I get some money as I choose to use one and simply would like to be able to play away from the computer.

samsam wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:51 am No debate that an amp isn't necessary for recording if you have all the necessary software etc set up. I'm recording my bass without even owning an amp.

In terms of preference or simply playing rather than recoding however, opinions exist. I'm new to the guitar world and will be buying an amp when I get some money as I choose to use one and simply would like to be able to play away from the computer.

codec_spurt wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:42 am
samsam wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:51 am No debate that an amp isn't necessary for recording if you have all the necessary software etc set up. I'm recording my bass without even owning an amp.

Not quite sure. Are you mocking me for newb or am I just being advised to get a tube amp? New to guitar forums, asking for a friend.

samsam wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:16 am

Not quite sure. Are you mocking me for newb or am I just being advised to get a tube amp? New to guitar forums, asking for a friend.

I certainly am not mocking you good sir!

Get the amp that works for you. There's quite a few out there at the moment. The Vox amp I want is both a tube amp and a solid-state amp. They don't make 'em anymore. Having trouble tracking one down, in fact.

Won't say what it is or else everyone else will want one. It goes for about the same price it sold for back in the day (130 bucks or so).

Tube amps probably aren't the best for noobs or for recording, unless you have a certain thing in mind. But then again, I might be wrong...

codec_spurt wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:17 am

I certainly am not mocking you good sir!

Get the amp that works for you. There's quite a few out there at the moment. The Vox amp I want is both a tube amp and a solid-state amp. They don't make 'em anymore. Having trouble tracking one down, in fact.

Won't say what it is or else everyone else will want one. It goes for about the same price it sold for back in the day (130 bucks or so).

Tube amps probably aren't the best for noobs or for recording, unless you have a certain thing in mind. But then again, I might be wrong...
A bit of mocking would be fine too :)

First ever bass for me and first ever guitar I'm properly trying to learn after messing around for a year with a regular 6-string about 30 years ago. I got lucky with the IK group buy so have got lots of nice virtual stuff that I'm already enjoying playing it through. My regular Genelecs for my system sound good enough for now thru a decent MOTU interface. Feels and sounds like playing a bass, to me.

Thing is, obviously (duh!) I'm missing the amp experience which I was willing to forgo for now until even my wife said "You probably want an amp for Christmas for that, right?"

Amp's gotta be relatively understated due to all the reasons you can imagine. So far I really like the look of this

https://ampeg.com/products/bassamp/ba-112/

when he is playing with distortion there is a very flat sound, sustain sucking if you will that I use to hear in a lot of cheap amps...I'm sure 99.99% of everyone else wont hear it that way but that's all I heard and also the same issues I ran into trying to do similar. FTR a pedal solved it at the time, a sansamp :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

If I had a studio and could crank the suckers up, I'd do that. There's something about the sound of a lot of air being slammed and the natural sustain. I don't and I can't.

I haven't truly been happy with any of the computer sims, but I'm pretty darn happy with my CODE via the line out. So yes, it's a thing, but not strictly necessary.

codec_spurt wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:50 am Then again, it's not even fetishism. Why would a butcher stop using his favorite knife?

I realise you got an angle to sell, but still...
What an intriguing and well thought out post you wrote. What do you think we'd like to sell to you?
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
― Arthur C. Clarke
https://www.forward-audio.com

codec_spurt wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:50 am ...
It was already brought up by users you don't need to record a guitar amp anymore and you never had to in the first place at all. Surprising you seemingly got offended by such a small question.

@ much of this thread:

man ive not seen that in years!

was a member a while ago, in a discussion about guitar amps.

but, im with you, no an amp is not essential for studio needs, but for my own personal pleasure? hell yes!
sometimes we just want to rock out, waiting for everything to boot up can kill that mood.

for home now though i just have q little solid state orange crush. my head and cab are far too big to be using in house, unless my neighbours really f**k me off.

Return to “Guitars”