Poll: How about an alliance against Apple strategies? (Catalina, OpenGL...)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic

Are you in?

Hell yeah!
49%
Let's try and revisit in a few months!
18%
I'm scared! Users would crucify us! :)
5%
No, I'm fine with what Apple does!
28%

Total votes: 143

RELATED
PRODUCTS

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:05 pmOr maybe with Vojtech you could get me banned for trespassing on the developer's forum.
Nice, what did I do to you exactly? :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:05 pmOr maybe with Vojtech you could get me banned for trespassing on the developer's forum.
Nice, what did i have to do exactly? :D
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

MeldaProduction wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:07 pm
Nice, what did I do to you exactly? :D
Nothing! You previously made a joke about problems happening when regular users enter the developer's forum. I'm just playing along with the joke. However, seeing as Mladi feels that I'm being given some kind of special treatment, I thought he might want to try and get you to help him with reporting me :tu:

Then at least put there a smiley man! :D You are a bit cryptic to me :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

This subforum isn't exclusively for devs as Miltz and vurt already pointed out.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

mladi wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:18 pm This subforum isn't exclusively for devs as Miltz and vurt already pointed out.
I noticed haha :D
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:16 pm Then at least put there a smiley man! :D You are a bit cryptic to me :D

Y'know, I normally do. If anything, I normally over-use them.And I only recently thought that perhaps I should just try to convey what I want to say without relying on graphical cues. Probably a mistake, in hindsight :lol:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:22 pm
MeldaProduction wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:16 pm Then at least put there a smiley man! :D You are a bit cryptic to me :D
Y'know, I normally do. If anything, I normally over-use them.And I only recently thought that perhaps I should just try to convey what I want to say without relying on graphical cues. Probably a mistake, in hindsight :lol:
Hehe yeah I overuse them too, but hey, better than somebody thinking I'm a total d**f**c** :D (which apparently some thing anyways :D :D)
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:24 pm
Hehe yeah I overuse them too, but hey, better than somebody thinking I'm a total d**f**c** :D (which apparently some thing anyways :D :D)
Well, I overuse them and I'm definitely a c*** :lol:

Who'd have thought? An Apple hipster and a developer with anti-Apple misgivings, managing to communicate. Perhaps we can find common ground, after all :P :lol: :hug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:37 pm
MeldaProduction wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:24 pm
Well, I overuse them and I'm definitely a c*** :lol:

Who'd have thought? An Apple hipster and a developer with anti-Apple misgivings, managing to communicate. Perhaps we can find common ground, after all :P :lol: :hug:
:D :D :D yeah! That's how it's done! :clap: :phones: :tu: 8) :lol:
Vojtech

my work here is done :)

(magick! pizzazz!!!!)

MacGyver wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:04 pm aren't a lot of "faster" plugins still optimized with pure assembler code?
Not that I know of, although some of the older codebases probably still do this. Compilers can optimize code quite well these days and be faster than hand-coded assembly, so mixed code is becoming rarer.

Usually, wrappers are used to simplify access to the SIMD instruction sets and are inlined in the main code. SIMD offers huge speed gains for DSP. I'm sure there's something similar for ARM's Neon SIMD instruction set.

Compilers can also auto-vectorize, that is, identify code that can be coded to use SIMD and substitute it automatically. The programmer just has to write code blocks in a specific manner to encourage the compiler.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

mladi wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:18 pm This subforum isn't exclusively for devs as Miltz and vurt already pointed out.
Yes, we welcome the programming curious.... :idiot: :D

(For those that don't recognize the idiot faces, they were icons on the classic Mac OS until X kicked them to the curb. :lol: )
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

vurt wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:06 pm my work here is done :)

(magick! pizzazz!!!!)
No jazz hands in the developer forum! :smack:

:lol:

syntonica wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:14 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:06 pm my work here is done :)

(magick! pizzazz!!!!)
No jazz hands in the developer forum! :smack:

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”