PLUGIN ALLIANCE plugin DROP OUTS and customer support. Are you having the same problem???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I have a problem with Plugin Alliance plugins on my computer and am having a poor experience with their customer support over the issue.

The issue is that their plugins cause occasional skipping and dropouts even at very low cpu use. This causes two main problems.

- Every now and then there are little glitch sounds, and I need to track them down incase it is a recording or editing problem which is really annoying and time consuming.

- They cause my hardware to lose sync. This creates micro delays and gaps in recording which ruins recordings and makes performing live with these plugins impossible for me.

It seems to be all their plugins so my guess is it is related to their framework.

I first wrote to them about the problem in May this year and they asked me if I could provide a video showing the problem. I created 2 such videos with thorough examples and detailed explanations and sent it to them. They told me they were able to reproduce the problem, thanked me for creating the videos and said they had created a bug report for their developers to investigate.

You can see the videos here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6cq33oaspirs ... o.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gv4yz89nvbvpx ... 2.mov?dl=0

I didn’t hear back and so I wrote to them again in July. They told me no progress had been made and closed the ticket.

I opened another ticket on Oct 3rd asking if there had been any progress. They closed the ticket on Oct 7th without any reply.

I have 45 of their plugins which have cost a not inconsiderable amount of money and I’m very disappointed with the fact they have such a serious issue that is not being resolved properly and communication on it has been poor.

I’m curious to know whether others are having the same problem with their plugins and if they have raised it with PA with any success.

Tom

My setup is an Apple Macbook pro with High Sierra, Ableton10, RME Babyface, ERM Multiclock, various drum machines.

Clearly the problem is not on your end. I've seen people ask in public forums or Facebook PA group about related issues, particularly with Reaper. The "boss" always responded, "ask reaper to fix it". They're good at selling plugins. Developing, updating, fixing issues... not so much. I sold most of my PA plugins.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

I have had issues with many of PA plugins in Cubase on Mac and Nuendo on PC for at least the last four years and everytime they promise me a fix, it doesn't fix it. I now rarely use PA plugins.
I am sorry about your issues but glad to see I am not the only one.
rsp
sound sculptist

I've over 50 PA plugins, and in 8 years the only problem I had was with digital 3. A couple or 3 years ago there was an issue with Cubase and Windows 7. It got fixed.
Maybe PA has issues with OSX?

I'm glad you haven't. I am and it seems others are too and it doesn't seem from their responses to me that they are working on a fix for it.

Ive not had any problems with plugin alliance stuff on macbook pro or mac trash can both running Mojave - could you upgrade from high sierra?

Using Cubase.
Last edited by mike@manike on Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Googly Smythe wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:03 pm I've over 50 PA plugins, and in 8 years the only problem I had was with digital 3. A couple or 3 years ago there was an issue with Cubase and Windows 7. It got fixed.
What sample buffer size are you running at?
I think they work for larger/medium buffer size but not smaller ones.
I have had mine confirmed at various times from PA.
rsp
sound sculptist

I'll probably upgrade soon anyway but likelihood of it being fixed as a result is low given that they've reproduced it and recognised it as a bug. If it was as simple as upgrading, I think they would have advised that.

Given it's occasional and not always easy to hear, it's possible you are suffering from it but just not noticing.

zvenx wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:11 pm
Googly Smythe wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:03 pm I've over 50 PA plugins, and in 8 years the only problem I had was with digital 3. A couple or 3 years ago there was an issue with Cubase and Windows 7. It got fixed.
rsp
I'm having drop outs at 256 samples

Ive used in Reaper always latest versions of all and haven't had the issue whatsoever on Win10 and SSD disks. Have older HP 6600 workstation w Xeon quad core. Some plugins use high CPU until closed due to setup but that is avoidable with video settings. Not once had dropouts at 128-256 or 512. The more items you run you up the buffer if required. Use medium on Saffire Pro 40

orbita wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:16 pm I'll probably upgrade soon anyway but likelihood of it being fixed as a result is low given that they've reproduced it and recognised it as a bug. If it was as simple as upgrading, I think they would have advised that.

Given it's occasional and not always easy to hear, it's possible you are suffering from it but just not noticing.
Doubtful as I tend to use the plugin alliance stuff for mastering.

rsp
Usually 256,but 32 if I'm recording (not often).

No dropouts here either.

Googly Smythe wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:25 pm
rsp
Usually 256,but 32 if I'm recording (not often).
Ahh. I use 64.. if you ever get sufficiently bored could you please try at 64 whilst mixing. The point of asioguard in cubendo is so you dont have to switch back and forth, just in case anyone is about to ask me why so low :)
Thanks
Rsp
sound sculptist

How many tracks at 64?

Return to “Effects”