Is there a way to -Automatically- send the End-Piece of an audio clip to a Delay effect ?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
MasterTuner
KVRist
217 posts since 30 May, 2018

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:16 am

When I have a vocal or an instrument I want to add a delay to, I generally want to just send the end part of the audio to a delay effect.

This means I have to automate the Delay , something like this:

But is there a way to automatically do this without having to draw in automation?
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

jethrobull
KVRAF
1827 posts since 5 Jun, 2011 from England,UK

Re: Is there a way to -Automatically- send the End-Piece of an audio clip to a Delay effect ?

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:21 am

Yes you could split items at cursor then right click/Item properties/take fx then add your delay/fx to that part.
Last edited by jethrobull on Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
myfeebleeffort
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

jethrobull
KVRAF

Re: Is there a way to -Automatically- send the End-Piece of an audio clip to a Delay effect ?

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:22 am

dp
myfeebleeffort

GaryG
KVRAF
5805 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Kent, UK

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:43 am

nearest I can think of to do this 'automatically' is with a delay with a ducking feature, carefully set up.
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

Forgotten
KVRAF
5194 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:58 am

I would think that automation is probably the easiest solution.

MasterTuner
KVRist

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:05 am

GaryG wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:43 am
nearest I can think of to do this 'automatically' is with a delay with a ducking feature, carefully set up.
thanks, I'm looking into that now. I found "sidechaining" the delay (basically ducking).
I see that some delays (e.g. Brainworx) have a ducking feature built in. I have H-Delay from Waves, I looked at Valhalla but I dont think their delay has a duck feature.
I'm seeing that a sidechain delay involves a compressor & Gate inserted before the delay.
Last edited by MasterTuner on Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

jethrobull
KVRAF

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:08 am

Forgotten wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:58 am
+1
My arse about face way of doing it is good when you don't want the fx on the entire track. When he stated "automatically" I thought he wanted to jump through hoops. :hihi:
myfeebleeffort

GaryG
KVRAF
5805 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Kent, UK

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:33 am

I've split clips before to apply separate effects so def not arse about face. Could be the quickest way in Reaper tbh...
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

yellowmix
KVRian
1343 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:44 am

If it's a one-time thing then Take FX is very convenient and how I'd do it, it's not a hack or kludge, that's what it was made for.

If it's going to happen all the time then yes, a ducking delay will make it easy. A way to make any delay duck is to use a send. Put your delay as the first FX on the send track. Send a copy of the original signal to 3/4. Then put ReaComp (or another sidechain compressor) after the delay, using 3/4 as the input. Now you can compress the delay signal however you like based on the original signal.

You can sidechain other things like reverb, to help things cut through. If you want to get fancy you can filter the sidechain input to react only to certain frequency ranges.

Forgotten
KVRAF
5194 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:51 am

jethrobull wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:08 am
Forgotten wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:58 am
+1
My arse about face way of doing it is good when you don't want the fx on the entire track. When he stated "automatically" I thought he wanted to jump through hoops. :hihi:
There are definitely other ways of doing it, and there might be cases where automation isn’t the easiest. I just can’t think of anything more straightforward for a ‘general’ approach (which I think is what the OP is asking).

BertKoor
KVRAF
11307 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:29 pm

Ya know... I was really surprised when this was just the result you'd get with certain feedback settings and no volume automation at all. But the delay input has to be rather loud all the time and suddenly stop. You hear just the last syllable repeating, whatever was before gets masked. In a dense mix anyway...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

crimsonwarlock
KVRAF
2261 posts since 18 Apr, 2001 from The Netherlands

Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:13 am

Probably not less work but an alternative way with added possibilities is to use a midi-controlled gate. Route your signal to another track, add a midi-controlled gate and delay after that pencil in midi where you want the delay to occur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvJg8ja5WkM
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

MasterTuner
KVRist

Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:41 am

I followed some ducking/sidechaining tutorials online and I got it to delay at the end of the audio clip as I wanted. But trouble is, when there's a pause mid-sentence, the delay is invoked too. So its triggering when it encounters even a little silence, not just at the end where I want it to.
Looks like this might be a manual job after all.
(I'll look at that Midi gate tut later, looks interesting, thanks)

Unaspected
KVRian
1036 posts since 4 May, 2012

Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:01 am

MasterTuner wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:41 am
I followed some ducking/sidechaining tutorials online and I got it to delay at the end of the audio clip as I wanted. But trouble is, when there's a pause mid-sentence, the delay is invoked too. So its triggering when it encounters even a little silence, not just at the end where I want it to.
Looks like this might be a manual job after all.
(I'll look at that Midi gate tut later thanks)
You can use any audio to control a side-chain and make sure that mixer channel is not routed anywhere else. So another method might be to double the track for side-chain use and fill in the gaps that way.

In a similar method to the MIDI gate above, you could then also use output from a low CPU synth to control your gating.

BERFAB
KVRAF
6146 posts since 25 Mar, 2004

Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:26 am

OP's automation solution seems the most elegant. I hadn't thought of that, probably because I am impossibly old school.
I usually just lop off the end of the sample and assign it to a new track, and add the FX I want on that track only.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Return to “Production Techniques”