Poll: How about an alliance against Apple strategies? (Catalina, OpenGL...)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic

Are you in?

Hell yeah!
49%
Let's try and revisit in a few months!
18%
I'm scared! Users would crucify us! :)
5%
No, I'm fine with what Apple does!
28%

Total votes: 143

RELATED
PRODUCTS

MeldaProduction wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:14 pm el-bo: The thing is, from my point of view it's not that Mac guys are platform agnostic, it's the contrary - they are too sensitive! If you tell a Windows guy that Windows suck, he won't care, it's a tool for him. But Mac guys are often very different... So imho while you'd like to think of yourself that you are better than others being tolerant and whatnot, I think the opposite. Sorry. But who knows...

-----------------------

"while you'd like to think of yourself that you are better than others being tolerant and whatnot"

Maybe you know some people like this. I don't. I certainly don't think like that.

Been a windows user since the 1990's. Bought a Mac in 2007 to stick with Logic, and to collaborate more easily with friends who were also Apple Logic users. After two years of using OSX on it's own, I started to dual-boot into Windows, and have been doing so right up until the end of last year.

I have zero problems with moving over to Windows, but i will wait until such a time as Apple's policies affect me to the point where my experience is more negative than positive. I can quite easily drop a lot of non-critical 3rd-part plugins without feeling the pinch. The hardest thing to drop would be Logic, and only really because I have hundreds of gigs in Logic projects that wouldn't be so easy to turn my back on. But I would, if it came to it.

The irony is that I actually have more negative feelings towards Apple's history, and behaviour than Microsoft's. But critically, none of it has affected me enough to move away from a platform which has given me twelve-years worth of fault-less operation.

Now let's not get this twisted: i am certainly not claiming that all Mac-users will have had the same experience. But I lucked out, for various reasons. I got my first Mac when the Intel switch had already been made. Had I bought in beforehand, and had to suffer that shit-show, i would've ditched it as soon as I could have. I have also traditionally kept two-to-three OS iterations behind, which no doubt helped the smooth ride. And more than any of that, I got lucky with my hardware purchased. For example, despite my MBP being en route to eight years of age, it has a Metal-compatible gfx card. As such, I am completely compatible with all current Apple Apps, and OS iterations. I also didn't end up with a laptop with the shitty keyboard, or a laptop with dodgy graphics card issues etc. etc. etc. My laptop barely crashes (Twice-per-year, if that), despite being able to keep cycling between use and 'sleep' for weeks-on-end (And yes, everything reconnects faultlessly on 'wake'). No audio dropouts that I can remember, and the only thing I know about "Kernal panic" is what might happen when someone steals Kentucky Fried Chicken's secret spice recipe :shrug:

As I said, everything has just lined up well for me. I don't suggest that is the case for everyone, but you seem to deem it necessary to tar us all with the same brush

My computer has always just been a tool for me, as has every other tool I have used for the last forty-or-so years, to make music. My choice of hardware and operating system do not define me, despite the inference of you and many others currently filling these threads with the type of zealous fervour you think is the preserve of OSX users.

Good to hear that! Anyways my experience with Apple users is pretty clear. Any comment barely a negative context (even well deserved) produced a flood if hatred... I'd also rather discuss things peacefully, after all people je st generally disagree on just about everything :D, but seems impossibke when Apple is involved. That's why there is a consensus that for many Apple is a religion, which is just unimaginable for me. I mean my Dell is great, support seems out of this world, but I wouldn't spend hours defending it and hating everyone that would comment negatively on it :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:51 pm I'd also rather discuss things peacefully
..then:
MeldaProduction wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:51 pm Apple is a religion

stratology wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:00 pm
MeldaProduction wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:51 pm I'd also rather discuss things peacefully
..then:
Drop it. Voytech is trying to calm down, and you keep dropping gasoline on the fire.

What if you just kept that to yourself? Wouldn't that have been great? :roll:

Are you on Apple's payroll or something?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:17 pm
stratology wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:00 pm
..then:
Drop it. Voytech is trying to calm down, and you keep dropping gasoline on the fire.

What if you just kept that to yourself? Wouldn't that have been great? :roll:

Are you on Apple's payroll or something?
Exactlt! Stratology so likes to pick parts of what someone writes to make some hates... This is exactly what I have been talking about...
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Apologies for inappropriate use of the word 'then'.

MeldaProduction wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:51 pm Anyways my experience with Apple users is pretty clear. Any comment barely a negative context (even well deserved) produced a flood if hatred...
Would you mind to provide an evidence of hatred from Apple users?

stratology wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:49 pm Apologies for inappropriate use of the word 'then'.
You twisted and distorted it...
just like a politician...
MeldaProduction wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:51 pm That's why there is a consensus that for many Apple is a religion, which is just unimaginable for me. I mean my Dell is great, support seems out of this world, but I wouldn't spend hours defending it and hating everyone that would comment negatively on it :D
Context is all.

toonertik wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:33 am
stratology wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:49 pm Apologies for inappropriate use of the word 'then'.
You twisted and distorted it...
just like a politician...
MeldaProduction wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:51 pm That's why there is a consensus that for many Apple is a religion, which is just unimaginable for me. I mean my Dell is great, support seems out of this world, but I wouldn't spend hours defending it and hating everyone that would comment negatively on it :D
Context is all.
:clap:
Vojtech

Considering that, for some guys here, it's already too difficult to figure out how to click on a little arrow to advance from one picture to the next on a website, it is completely understandable that one may read a post, and, at the time when he/she reads the very next post immediately afterwards, has already completely forgotten what he/she read 3 seconds ago, and thus removed the context of what was just said.

stratology wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:57 pm Considering that, for some guys here, it's already too difficult to figure out how to click on a little arrow to advance from one picture to the next on a website, it is completely understandable that one may read a post, and, at the time when he/she reads the very next post immediately afterwards, has already completely forgotten what he/she read 3 seconds ago, and thus removed the context of what was just said.
Looks like it's more about railing things up than seeking a solution. "Alliance against..." already implies confrontation, since it isn't, say, a "Petition for..."

..and 'Petition for' would require to figure out what one actually wants (apart from ranting).

'Petition for a compatibility layer for Cocoa' (I'm referring to one of Melda's earlier posts..)

I completely lack the technical expertise to understand what this is supposed to mean, which things should be made compatible, how this layer is supposed to work, what exactly the technical issue is (in his opinion)..

Urs is this all you have to answer onto the insulting post from stratology?

Or do you find sentences like "Considering that, for some guys here, it's already too difficult to figure out how to click on a little arrow" etc.. are friendly and constructive?
I see you rather like to talk about the topic title. Well, that is of course an affront.. ..i completely didn't get your point.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

toonertik wrote: Context is all.
Sure. Context is important. For sake of “context” should every post be fully quoted? One should not look for context of one post from another. That does not make sense.

And do you imply Melda does not share this opinion? I get the impression that he does.

mladi wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:09 pmOr do you find sentences like "Considering that, for some guys here, it's already too difficult to figure out how to click on a little arrow" etc.. are friendly and constructive?
Well, that's actually a pretty accurate description off how it went down, no? I didn't find it too difficult to click those arrows, and I also didn't go around making fun off someone because I didn't want to see the proof I requested in the first place. Where's the insult here?

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”