Sidechain ducking. What do I need?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh weird... I don't think I've seen this sub-forum before.

Yes, an envelope follower with an inverted output and a VCA with a bias (sometimes called 'gain' or 'offset') or control is all you need. For example I use a Make Noise Function (or a channel of Maths) and an Intellijel uVCA for this. Function has normal and inverted envelope outputs. You send the inverted output of the envelope to the CV input on the VCA, set the Bias control on the VCA somewhere near fully clockwise and the CV input attenuator on the VCA to taste. The VCA will thus be open most of the time (due to the bias setting) and the envelope will push it closed for the ducking effect. I like to use Function or a Maths channel as my envelope follower (use the Signal Input not the Trigger Input) because you get independent Attack and Release controls. There are other modules which can serve as your envelope follower, but you need one with an inverted output or use and inverting attenuator (like the ones built into Maths).
Last edited by justin3am on Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:02 pm
toonertik wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:47 pm Have a read on this mushy
http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/A119_man.pdf

hope that helps...

My cape btw, is a lovely shade of turquoise, with a yellow lining...
reminds my of the beautiful oceans I have dived and the sun and sand...

no wizardry needed... ;)
:P
:tu:

Reading now 8)
The A-119 will work as your envelope follower (just without control over attack/release), but you will still need an inverting attenuator (doepfer A-175 is mentioned in the example in the user guide), so that the voltage goes negative instead of positive. The really important thing is using a VCA with a Bias/Offset/Gain control, so that you can make the VCA stay open when no CV is present, so that negative CVs will close the VCA.

Hope that makes sense. :-)

Fantastic. Thanks so much, Jason. Looking further into those modules now 8)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

If you are looking for a 1-module solution, check out the WMD MSCL. It's a VCA based compressor (with nice THAT based VCA chips) with a Sidechain input for ducking.
https://wmdevices.com/products/mscl

justin3am wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:26 pm
The A-119 will work as your envelope follower (just without control over attack/release), but you will still need an inverting attenuator (doepfer A-175 is mentioned in the example in the user guide), so that the voltage goes negative instead of positive. :tu: The really important thing is using a VCA with a Bias/Offset/Gain control, so that you can make the VCA stay open when no CV is present, so that negative CVs will close the VCA.

Hope that makes sense. :-)
Worth looking at quad type VCAs as well...
I use an intellijel quad VCA as for the $$$s it packs a lot into a small unit...
works as a mixer... has that Bias/Gain/level control... variable from exponential thru to lin (very useful) there are manufacturers as well ofc. also the cv inputs are normalised down the cv input chain.. as are the outputs.. gives lots of flexibility.

justin3am wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:32 pm If you are looking for a 1-module solution, check out the WMD MSCL. It's a VCA based compressor (with nice THAT based VCA chips) with a Sidechain input for ducking.
https://wmdevices.com/products/mscl
iirc.. doefper also do a VCA with a ducking input... not much denerio

Great. A few options to choose from now. I will watch a few YouTube vids on each and then decide.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:27 pm Fantastic. Thanks so much, Jason. Looking further into those modules now 8)
:smack:

you filled your happy ending yet? :lol:

so pleased i got the patch right, people might start thinking i know what im doing now :hihi:

vurt wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:19 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:27 pm Fantastic. Thanks so much, Jason. Looking further into those modules now 8)
:oops:

Yes of course, you too mate. Soz

don't be such a basket, vurt...

:wink: :lol:

BTW... any news yet
or are you still pacing corridors?

vurt wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:22 pm you filled your happy ending yet? :lol:
Happy Ending and supporting foreplay modules sitting in the Thomann basket.

My watch list of items there is currently €11k :shock:, of which I hope to buy about €1.5k shortly. I just need work out which items are shortlisted.

It's looking promising though :tu:

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:25 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:19 pm
:oops:

Yes of course, you too mate. Soz
:lol:
no! his name isnt jason you muppet!

Return to “Modular Synthesis”