Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V still recommendable?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey, i love the 80s stuff and wonder if this VST is still good? it is already very old i see but i just love the old school 80s digital sound, i checked some presets on youtube and the sound of some presets are really great and sound very full and bright. i dunno the PPG at all, is it comparable with the DX7?
does it have any unique features?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

It has a resonant low pass filter!

You should demo it. It is definitely “nostalgic”. PPGv3 has been around for a minute or so, but it still gets a lot of love around here. I demo’ed it and wound up getting Largo instead which is definitely a different synth, but I found Largo’s overall sound more to my liking. You should wait for a sale, as Waldorf has them periodically and PPGv3 was $175 last time I looked. Waldorf still sells v2 (Waldorf Edition 2) for about half that, which is a cheaper alternative.

The PPG synthesis is definitely different than that of a DX7. It uses wavetables and (as noted above) a resonant low pass filter. The PPG hardware was noted for its digital wavetables and analog filter. The DX7 has no filter. It uses a series of sine waves modulating each other and envelopes to get its sound. If you haven’t checked out Dexed yet, you really should. It’s free and comes with almost every preset ever made for the DX7. It’s about as good as free gets

Jrr Shop has them for $90 each currently.

still one of my favorites. can't really say why, i'm not really a big fan of "traditional" PPG sounds. i always seem to come up with something i like though whenever i use it.

Nothing still sounds quite like it!

Cheers

It sounds great, but, you have to like the operation.

I'd rather get Largo.

jbuonacc wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:26 am still one of my favorites. can't really say why, i'm not really a big fan of "traditional" PPG sounds. i always seem to come up with something i like though whenever i use it.
This. PPG Wave V3 is among the best sounding synths out there. Still one of my most favorite synths. It's so easy to work with and get something eminently usable out of it.
No signature here!

I still have the Steinberg/Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V. Hardly ever used it tbh, because those eighties sounds didn't appeal to me as much as I thought they would. Is the 3.V significantly better (sound and features)?

largo seems worth it possibly, i've been wanting it for a while. i still think 90 is a bit steep for how old it is and how its a bit glitchy and not really supported that much. ppg sounds pretty good but its hard to use with the menus

Anyone know if PPG 3 has the randomise function of v2 by pressing alt-akku button? That button isn't on version 3. I found some great stuff with that button.
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

PPG 2v is still one of my favorites. The preset system is its only downside. Still love though. Quick, easy and unique.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

ians wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:58 am Anyone know if PPG 3 has the randomise function of v2 by pressing alt-akku button? That button isn't on version 3. I found some great stuff with that button.
I've found a link to the 3.V manual:

https://support.waldorfmusic.com/files/ ... Manual.pdf

Maybe that feature has been renamed?
Last edited by Lotuz2019 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strange there's no mention of this sale on waldorfmusic.com:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... tcount=118

I wonder if upgrades are also 50% off. I also have Attack collecting virtual dust...

mxbf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:36 am largo seems worth it possibly, i've been wanting it for a while. i still think 90 is a bit steep for how old it is and how its a bit glitchy and not really supported that much.
Stills sounds better than 99% of the soft synths coming out these days, in my opinion.

Return to “Instruments”