Behringer Crave

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:15 am Maybe I need to wait for Perfect Circuit to do a Crave demo before I write it off completely?
Instead of comparing whose dick is longer, how about going to a store when it's available, demo it and THEN form an educated opinion?

Yeah, that doesn't tend to work very well. You're in an unfamiliar environment, often with a lot of noise around you, using speakers or headphones you don't know. Sometimes you can get that last little bit of info to help you make a choice, as was the case for me with Uno, but on other occasions it has steered me wrong - Minilogue, JU-06 and JP-08. It wasn't until I got them home and tried them against my other instruments that I realised they weren't that good. It was great in the old days when my local music shop was happy to let me take something home and try it out for a week or two before deciding if I wanted it but those days are long gone.

The interesting phenomenon around here is that as soon as it's released, all discussion will stop. It happens all the time - dozens of pages leading up to a release, then nothing.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Understandable. I try to avoid stores for demoing equipment as well. Not so much the noise, but those pesky shop assistants are reason enough to stay away. On the other hand, while all those videos are great to get a first impression, nothing beats hands-on. I've bought stuff purely by watching fu**ing YT videos and ended up disappointed.

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:56 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:09 amhere you go
Those aren't advantages, they are just differences. Even the price difference is hardly an advantage, as it's only a few bucks at best. OTOH, Uno's double the number of oscillators with double the number of waveforms, it's 33.33% better envelope - ADSR v ADS, plus the fact that it has twice the number of envelopes, it's LFO with 3.5 times more waveforms to choose from and it's patch memory are all things that can only be seen as advantages and completely negate the few bucks you might save on purchase price. Then you can add in micro-tuning, a delay effect an LED display, 40 front panel controls and a multi-platform editor/librarian app/VSTi.

Another question that needs to be answered with Crave is how it stays in tune? Does anyone know?

You stun me...well i can play this game too
Uno's double the number of oscillators with double the number of waveforms, it's 33.33% better envelope - ADSR v ADS, plus the fact that it has twice the number of envelopes, it's LFO with 3.5 times more waveforms to choose from and it's patch memory are all things that can only be seen as advantages and completely negate the few bucks you might save on purchase price.
Those aren't advantages, they are just differences

Slightly OT - but I find it slightly curious that when you go to Behringers web and look at their synths, they are organized under Keyboards / Synthesizers and Samplers.

I'm having an order on a Deepmind desktop and a 101 coming in Monday. If I gel with them I'll go full Behringer. Weirdly enough - all their releases appeal to me in one way or another - apart from the Neutron, which everybody seem to love.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Alright folks, sorry for reviving this but it certainly did not belong in the Uno thread:
BONES wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:20 am I am looking at the features [the Behringer Crave] has, all of which are inadequate, from the oscillators to the filter, envelope and LFO. If it had even one thing to recommend it, I could see the merit in your attitude but when you need to replace every single part of it, it has no value beyond being a patchbay or a simple sequencer, either of which you could buy for much less.
Please spec and explain what patchbay and sequencers one could obtain and how it would be wired up to match the functionality of the Crave such that it could patch in any number of arbitrary Eurorack standard voltages from standard Eurorack modules and patch voltage out to the same at any point in the normalized routing of any one-oscillator synth and sequencer of your choice.

Are you suggesting there are no oscillator modules available for Eurorack? No filters? no envelopes? No LFOs?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

So you can't buy anything comparative for less or not? It's totally wide-open, you have full choice here. Put together whatever you need to make a similar and capable architecture.

I can do that with Uno or Craft synth, although I'd have to turn a lot of things off. Any capability Crave has will come from other sources. On it's own it's a complete dud. That's my point - what does it actually contribute to anyone's Eurorack set-up? A krap oscillator, a krap filter and two krap modulation sources. Is that worth $200? Is it worth having over an Uno? I'm not seeing it.

Not acceptable. Uno and Craft have extremely limited interoperability with Eurorack. Try again.
Last edited by yellowmix on Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I'm looking forward to picking this up.
BONES wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:00 am I can do that with Uno or Craft synth, although I'd have to turn a lot of things off. Any capability Crave has will come from other sources. On it's own it's a complete dud. That's my point - what does it actually contribute to anyone's Eurorack set-up? A krap oscillator, a krap filter and two krap modulation sources. Is that worth $200? Is it worth having over an Uno? I'm not seeing it.

yellowmix wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:36 amNot acceptable. Uno and Craft have extremely limited interoperability with Eurorack. Try again.
Unless you have a mixer, in which case they can all work beautifully together. You're the proof - someone who has both modular set-up and an Uno. If it's not a problem for you, why would it be a problem for anyone else?

Sorta tangential, but might lead to me buying one of these, so ... ;)

What alternatives are there for hardware sequencers with similar (or better) functionality and connectivity, and how much do they cost?

Which functionality in particular are you interested in? I think Arturia's Keystep has a great sequencer and at least the same connectivity, but you do need to have it connected to a computer to get the most from it.

BONES wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:45 pm
yellowmix wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:36 amNot acceptable. Uno and Craft have extremely limited interoperability with Eurorack. Try again.
Unless you have a mixer, in which case they can all work beautifully together. You're the proof - someone who has both modular set-up and an Uno. If it's not a problem for you, why would it be a problem for anyone else?
Merging the output of two parallel but separate systems isnt interoperatability.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”