Listening position and acoustic treatment

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Immigrant
KVRer
26 posts since 5 Aug, 2018

Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:05 am

Hey guys,

Moving to a new house and i am setting up a small room as a studio. I am including a drawing on how the room looks from the side and the top. Shape A is looking the room from the top. Shape B is looking the room from the side. The dimensions are 3.2m length x 3.2m width.

As you can see from the diagram the roof part that is closer to the window is bending downwards. Therefore the room is not a perfect cube. Also the room has two doors.

Any advice on which is the best seating position according to the room shape?
Also any advice on room treatment is more than welcome.

Thank you in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lobanov
KVRist
399 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Re: Listening position and acoustic treatment

Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:50 am

I think, the left wall (relatively to the window). As your room is square there are only practical reasons. This wall is the single stright and flat one. There is no door so you can place your monitors symmetrically.

P. S. Make your room less sqare (square rooms are very bad as I understand). Place a bookcase or something similar near the wall against the window, may be.

vurt
addled muppet weed
53260 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Listening position and acoustic treatment

Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:58 am

depends how much you want to spend, but for fairly cheap, hanging heavy curtains or blankets on the wall behind you as you sit looking at your monitors, these will help deaden it a little or as suggested, bookcase filled with odd sized books so it's no longer flat.

also heavy curtains on the window. they'll also keep you warm in winter :tu:

Return to “Production Techniques”