Go-to track compressor?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh, I didn't give one did I, sorry. How about McDSP's "6050" :) It has many flavors. There is a "compressor only" version but I think the 6050 is on sale for like 70 bucks? Pretty good deal.

codec_spurt wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:33 pm I also bought the SSL G Bus compressor today as well. That thing is seriously good. It's a lot smoother than my NI Solid Bus Comp which I really love. It has more bite and is a bit more gnarly than the Waves one, which is a lot smoother even at silly settings.

I also bought Hornet's 'multicomp' compressor as well today. https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/h ... -plus-mk2/
What do you think about the SSL bus comp ("console4k") mode in multicomp?

MadDogE134 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:48 am i DO hear a lot of good on the DMG TrackComp but just can't seem to get myself to pay almost $100 for it... not with all the other ones i have. here in the states it ain't 80 bucks lol... that is 74.99 pounds and personally never heard a 'pound' called a 'buck'... bucks are green back Dollar$ :)
If you own other DMG plugins there’s a discount. I paid about $72 USD for it but I already owned their EQs.

imrae wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:05 pm
codec_spurt wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:33 pm I also bought the SSL G Bus compressor today as well. That thing is seriously good. It's a lot smoother than my NI Solid Bus Comp which I really love. It has more bite and is a bit more gnarly than the Waves one, which is a lot smoother even at silly settings.

I also bought Hornet's 'multicomp' compressor as well today. https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/h ... -plus-mk2/
I couldn't say just yet. I only gave it a quick spin earlier today. But I'm eager to compare it to the actual SSL G-Master buss comp and also the NI Solid Bus comp which is supposed to be modeled on the same design.

It was the FET that really stood out for me though. Hardly surprising as it's a bit more 'grabby' and immediate. That alone would have been worth the price of admission. Anything else is just a bonus. There's VCA and Opto in there too! It seems a nice alternative to Trackcomp (DMG) if you don't have the cash.

Talking of saving cash, I just noticed that PSP are doing a 45% OFF SALE!

https://www.pspaudioware.net/register/store.php

And talking of FET compressors, I can't get enough of their FETpressor: http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/dyn ... etpressor/

Cracking gui and very quick to dial in. Sounds superb.

I can also recommend the Mixpack also: http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/dyn ... xpressor2/

The MixPressor2 compressor is a real gem. It's incredibly good. Plus you get a few more plugins in that pack. My other faves being the Saturator and the Gate. Excellent value (especially now).

I want to get the BussPressor (another SSL bus compressor kind of thing), but I'm all spent out and can't justify another 50 bucks again today after spending about £150 again on plugins alone this week. I'm supposed to be saving up for my first hardware compressor! Not going good...

But I think I'm probably covered in the SSL bus comp department for the moment. I've got The Glue as well which I really love a lot. I should buy that at some point because I use it in Ableton all the time and it really does weave magic.

But I'm definitely curious though about the Hornet Multicomp. Their channel strip is obviously inspired by the SSL E-Channel (which included a few different algos as well). Even if it just gets in the ball park, I'll be happy.

imrae wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:05 pm

I just had a play about with the Multicomp. I couldn't get it to sound anything like the SSL G bus comp, not in "console4k" mode anyway. It just sounds very different. Are you sure it's the bus comp it's modeling and not the channel comp from that series? Someone said in the comments that -

The last two models are emulations of the SSL 4K channel compressor and the DBX160.

In fact, I can get the VCA160 model a lot closer to the Waves SSL G comp. I just can't get that console4k model anywhere near it. It is a very different algorithm, that much is obvious. Then again, I probably don't know what I'm doing.

Having said that, I stuck on the PSP MixPressor2 comp and I got it in the same ballpark straight away and very close after about 5 minutes of tweaking.

So I'm not sure that is a bus compressor algorithm, I think it may be a channel comp kind of thing. Who knows.

The VCA160 algo gets kind of close though, at least it can pump and smear nicely. I know I'm using the SSL G bus comp at extreme settings though and most people would use it for just a touch and a bit of 'glue', so may be that is something to do with it. Still, if it's supposedly modeled on that then it should give a ballpark representation of that when pushed. It's nothing like it imho.

Anyway, the good news is that there's at least 3 out of the 6 algos on there that sound and behave very differently. I'll check the other 3 out later on.

Very impressed again with MixPressor2 though. That's a damn fine compressor. And that can be quite subtle as well. It's very versatile.

I thought that maybe the PSP Micro Comp that comes with the Master Comp package would sound a bit like the SSL G bus comp, the reason being that the controls on it are almost identical to the BusPressor comp, which is supposed to be a SSL type of thing. But it's best not to judge a book by its cover. Again, two very different types of compressor.

Quoting from an email from PSP that djanthonyw shared over at gearslutz:

After releasing the PSP BussPressor we became aware that there is some confusion regarding the differences between our various dynamics processor plug-ins. In this short email we would like to explain the main differences.

All of PSP dynamic processors are based on unique algorithms. They do not share characteristics except for the FAT double sampling used in the PSP VintageWarmer and the PSP MasterComp. Each PSP compressor/limiter plug-in represents a different approach to dynamic processing.

The PSP BussPressor is based on the character of the SSL BusCompressor but we tuned our plug-in to be slightly rougher when compared to some other VCA plug-in clones. In our opinion when used aggressively the PSP BussPressor is highly suitable for rock music. In the Auto mode the character changes and the plug-in can be used to add a smooth "gluing" effect. Another benefit of the BussPressor is its parallel compression mode but don't forget it also offers a high pass side chain filter useful for reducing kick drum pumping and an adjustable Auto release mode.

The PSP oldTimer is a bit "pillowish" compared to the PSP BussPressor. Although it will not provide the roughness of the PSP BussPressor it is a very versatile compressor, suitable for individual tracks, groups and master busses. It distinctly glues the audio together whenever used and it sounds especially good with (but is not limited to in any way) all acoustic instruments, vocals and entire recordings including jazz and even classical music. PSP oldTImer can be very useful on main tracks in the Mix and whenever a sweet polishing might do the job.

The PSP MasterComp is a compressor designed with transparency in mind. We mainly focused on low distortion when designing the algorithm and then we added special features to control the stereophony and channel linking. The result is a very smooth response suitable for all situations when coloration is not desired.

The PSP MixPressor (included in the PSP MixPack bundle) is a basic compressor created with track processing in mind but also able to process a group. Even though the PSP MixPressor algorithm is simple compared to our other compressors it still offers plenty of controls which combined with its range of compression curves make this plug-in unique and versatile.

So Micro comp is a kind of cut down version of Master comp, so it's very clear and trasnsparent. But Mixpressor is a bit more complex again.

Having said all that, Multicomp is only about 20 bucks at the moment and the Mix Pack by PSP is about a 100 bucks with the almost half-price discount (though you get a few good tools in there).

Anyway, good to know the SSL G bus comp can pump and suck and smear with the best of them when it's pushed hard. It takes a bit more to push it over compared to the Solid Bus comp by NI, which breaks up a lot quicker (in a good way) and is harder to keep clean. It doesn't so much pump and suck as decimate and dirty up the signal (again, in a very pleasing way).

One really great bus comp that covers all that stuff for me is the FXpansion bus comp included with the DCAM dynamics bundle. I think that's modeled on the same hardware.

In fact, the track comp in that bundle could be considered a 'go to' track compressor. It's modeled after the 1176 as well and it sounds awesome.

I'm impressed with the Hornet Multicomp, especially for the price. But it seems to me it's more of a track compressor than a bus kind of thing. I'm really intrigued now just which comp it's supposed to be 'emulating' from the series 4000 desks. They don't explicitly say on its web page.

I still use c-1 as much as anything for simple compression. I also like the Melda Mcompressor and Mdynamics. Those can handle almost any simple dynamic issues I have. I only use modeled stuff when I want to color a sound in a specific way.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

erikgyle wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:01 pm I discovered yesterday that my beloved Focusrite Red 3 compressor renders at different levels offline than it plays in real-time and that, when pushed hard, the difference can be significant. It is therefore unusable.

What compressor would people recommend as a go-to? I use a lot of orchestral instruments, so need a lot of range and potentially very low thresholds. It also needs to be light on CPU so it can be used on almost every track.

Thanks for the help!
Stock compressor in your daw. Honestly, if you can't make it with it, it doesn't matter which commpressor you use.

Fun thread. Softube TLA-100A

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:15 pm
MadDogE134 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:48 am i DO hear a lot of good on the DMG TrackComp but just can't seem to get myself to pay almost $100 for it... not with all the other ones i have. here in the states it ain't 80 bucks lol... that is 74.99 pounds and personally never heard a 'pound' called a 'buck'... bucks are green back Dollar$ :)
If you own other DMG plugins there’s a discount. I paid about $72 USD for it but I already owned their EQs.
ah did not know that... thnx for the info funky :) cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

erikgyle wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:01 pmWhat compressor would people recommend as a go-to?
The one that sits in the mixer strip in Cubase. Honestly, it's a compressor, it does what it does. And there is no way you should be putting it on every track, that's just nuts. I use it on my kick and on vocals. For the kick it is to fundamentally change the character of the sound, with vocals it is because I have no other means of controlling the dynamics. But elsewhere I can tweak settings - envelopes and velocity and the like - to change both the character and the dynamics of parts, so that's what I do.
Michey wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:40 pmIm in the midst of forming my own company called "Go2".
You do realise that Rob Papen has a synth called Go2, don't you?
reggie1979 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:53 pmI just love these threads. Almost veryone has something different :hihi:
Yeah, that's because they all do the same stuff and any differences you think you are hearing are mostly in your head. Compressors are the most over-used, over-hyped thing since I don't know what.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

codec_spurt wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:31 pm I just had a play about with the Multicomp. I couldn't get it to sound anything like the SSL G bus comp, not in "console4k" mode anyway. It just sounds very different. Are you sure it's the bus comp it's modeling and not the channel comp from that series?
Yes you are right indeed, the console4k model is the channel compressor not the bus one. :)
We actually don't have a b4k bus compressor emulation, probably in the next version.

Saverio

Since we've gone deep in, I want to bring up a sleeper compressor that's actually quite good: Sphere Comp
https://www.waproduction.com/plugins/view/spherecomp

It's a one-size-fits-all for most material. The digital mode is harder to control, works on peak detection and the knobs feel precise so you need to slow down and have the ears for it but it will reward you for setting it right. But the BUSS side shines like an expensive compressor. It's easy to dial in, reminds me of an opto. Also low CPU, similar to BX_opto.

Then we have the extra goodies to help add mojo as the situation calls for, from extra punch to soft clipping (subtle stuff, have to play with it, I'm not entirely sure Saturation does anything or how to use it).

The great thing about it is that I've seen it on sale many times at PB. I got it in a bundle with Outlaw (which I also recommend), and it will most like be on sale again by Black Friday. So anyone on a budget can get their hands on this and hopefully also Outlaw as part of a bundle.

(Now enter someone posting the link to the Snaky dude, so we can watch him say he really likes the compressor, but also nobody should get it).

jochicago wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:26 am Since we've gone deep in, I want to bring up a sleeper compressor that's actually quite good: Sphere Comp
https://www.waproduction.com/plugins/view/spherecomp

It's a one-size-fits-all for most material. The digital mode is harder to control, works on peak detection and the knobs feel precise so you need to slow down and have the ears for it but it will reward you for setting it right. But the BUSS side shines like an expensive compressor. It's easy to dial in, reminds me of an opto. Also low CPU, similar to BX_opto.

Then we have the extra goodies to help add mojo as the situation calls for, from extra punch to soft clipping (subtle stuff, have to play with it, I'm not entirely sure Saturation does anything or how to use it).

The great thing about it is that I've seen it on sale many times at PB. I got it in a bundle with Outlaw (which I also recommend), and it will most like be on sale again by Black Friday. So anyone on a budget can get their hands on this and hopefully also Outlaw as part of a bundle.

(Now enter someone posting the link to the Snaky dude, so we can watch him say he really likes the compressor, but also nobody should get it).
Thanks for the recommandation. Ive been interested in spherecomp for a while :tu:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 am ...
they all do the same stuff and any differences you think you are hearing are mostly in your head. Compressors are the most over-used, over-hyped thing since I don't know what.
I am shocked, SHOCKED!!!! Smelling salts, someone, quick!

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 am ...
And there is no way you should be putting it on every track, that's just nuts.
I like walnuts, but my wife hates them. :shrug:

Return to “Effects”