The lesser or more obscure brands / guitars you've owned.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:46 pm

Got this, 'Jay Turser' hollowbody off a mate at work a bit back. Apparently a US company - built in China. Used it on a few things, but it's main function I've found for me is that it sings like a bastard with the ebow, like no other geetar I've ever used. Weird, but good. :love:

jayturser.jpg
I remember when Turser guitars hit the market. The store owner said they where cheap and flawed as all get up but first time buyers couldn't help themselves. He had a lot of returns so he had to stop selling them.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

my first was an Alamo El Dorado, be worth at least 500% more than I paid for it now :hihi:

Meanwhile as far as the topic goes, I have to throw in my Daion Power Mark XX

Tremendous craftsmanship :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I love that Daion of yours. Walnut and maple baby. Brass nut and saddles. Reminds me of my Washburn Falcon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:12 am I love that Daion of yours. Walnut and maple baby. Brass nut and saddles. Reminds me of my Washburn Falcon
that's because they are 1st cousins, both Yamaki :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

my first guitar - but a silver one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFfmGOedc2U

:tu:

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:46 pm Ahh, the Marlin Sidewinder - from a catalogue?

yep :hihi:

I have the following that I inherited from my aunt about 20 years ago (because I was the only one playing guitar and she wanted someone to get use out of it). :-)

1964 Teisco Del Rey (Japanese Fender clone)
1960's small Checkmate amp
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:57 pm I have the following that I inherited from my aunt about 20 years ago (because I was the only one playing guitar and she wanted someone to get use out of it). :-)

my friend's first guitar in the early 70's was a checkmate guitar...bought at a department store, I cant even find one online and never knew there were amps...tube?

edit: google makes a liar of me :?

Hink wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:12 ammy friend's first guitar in the early 70's was a checkmate guitar...bought at a department store, I cant even find one online and never knew there were amps...tube?

Reminds me of a Kay style guitar.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Hink wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:12 am
audiojunkie wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:57 pm I have the following that I inherited from my aunt about 20 years ago (because I was the only one playing guitar and she wanted someone to get use out of it). :-)

my friend's first guitar in the early 70's was a checkmate guitar...bought at a department store, I cant even find one online and never knew there were amps...tube?

It's been a really long time since I've pulled it out of storage, so I can't remember for sure, but I vaguely remember seeing small tubes in the back. Mine never worked well and never sounded good and I didn't want to spend any money on it to repair it. At some point when I get a little more room, I'd like to get both out and put them on display however. :-)

EDIT: Going off of memory, I found a picture of what my amp looks like:

https://reverb.com/item/20634512-teisco ... e-17-1960s

https://images.app.goo.gl/cqVoTnLFQzAayVg77

Also, I suspect it is solid state, because it looks like most of these are solid state.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:54 pm The first guitar I bought was a “Satellite” branded Strat copy.
My first guitar was a Satellite though some short scale (maybe 24"), style-less affair. Single humbucker, wrap around bridge, creamy colour. Shouldn't moan though, was dirt cheap and I learnt the basics on it. Can't remember where it went...

audiojunkie wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:05 pm
Hink wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:12 am

It's been a really long time since I've pulled it out of storage, so I can't remember for sure, but I vaguely remember seeing small tubes in the back. Mine never worked well and never sounded good and I didn't want to spend any money on it to repair it. At some point when I get a little more room, I'd like to get both out and put them on display however. :-)

EDIT: Going off of memory, I found a picture of what my amp looks like:

https://reverb.com/item/20634512-teisco ... e-17-1960s

https://images.app.goo.gl/cqVoTnLFQzAayVg77

Also, I suspect it is solid state, because it looks like most of these are solid state.
from first link

seeing it it clicks a bit...now a brief trip to the very early 70's, we were both getting our first guitars around then and of course mine is better took over (hey I was 12). My first guitar was an Alamo and my guitar came from a music store and not a department store, I had an edge there. Better still was the fact that that Alamo was known for their tube amps (they did have ss models too), now this :dog: dont tell earl :tu:

Ah, yes! I didn't notice the additional pictures, but seeing the back totally reminds me--yep, I think mine's a tube amp! :-)

My first guitar is one of these, bought in late 2000s for under £200: https://www.butlermusic.com/18848-switc ... guitar-vc1

Mine isn't black gloss though, it has a slight green sparkle to it. Weird blobby plastic telecaster. Well-balanced, sustain for days, basically indestructible, stays in tune for ages as it isn't really affected by heat/humidity. Sounds near enough to a tele to be useful.

Return to “Guitars”