Effect on Effect

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I can’t find any way to find an answer for my question, probably because it is so obvious. So feel free to make fun of me while you answer it.

I would like to be able to put an insert effect (effect A) with presets on an insert effect (effect B). So that the wet / dry setting of effect A is automated by effect B.
So that I don’t draw / program my own automations for effect A but instead can use already made patterns for it.

In the same way that there are patterns for settings in Plugins like Movement etc.

How do I do that?

Bless

Which effects and which DAW?

rockyduderino wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:13 pm I would like to be able to put an insert effect (effect A) with presets on an insert effect (effect B). So that the wet / dry setting of effect A is automated by effect B.
So that I don’t draw / program my own automations for effect A but instead can use already made patterns for it.
Generally, automation data is only ever communication between the DAW and the plugin. So passing it between plugins requires specific host-side support. There are a couple of DAWs (eg Bidule) which can dynamically link a parameter of one plugin to drive another a parameter of another plugin in realtime, but that's pretty rare.

What you might be able to do, depending on the DAW, is record the automation data from one plugin parameter, then reassign that to a different plugin parameter. That's not dynamic, though, its basically recorded.

This is only going to work where the 'pattern' you're talking about is actually driving something that creates automation data. If its entirely internal to the plugin, this wont work.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

rockyduderino wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:13 pmI would like to be able to put an insert effect (effect A) with presets on an insert effect (effect B). So that the wet / dry setting of effect A is automated by effect B.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Do you want to just switch (instantly or gradually) between two effects, for instance go from delay to reverb? A practical example of what you want to achieve would help, along with info about DAW you're using :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

If plugin B is a delay I know a solution.

Put A on a send with B in the same chain, set to ducking.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Yes, which DAW? In Bitwig its super easy to set up. Not sure in other DAWs but probably its possible with send tracks like it was stated above ^^.

In fl studio one could put a peak controller between fxA and fxB. Then attach whatever control from fxB to the env follower in the peak controller. Easy and versatile

The easiest way to do this is to fake it. Don't have Effect A controlling Effect B but put something like LFO Tool before or after each of them (on different channels) and use the two instances of LFO Tool to control the volume of the signal passing through each channel.

Another option is to use BlueCat's metering plugins which have a MIDI-output mode, and use the MIDI out from one to automate a control in the second effect (assuming that all you need to track is amplitude).

Or use Bitwig, as suggested. Depending on what you want to do, there are some M4L devices available in Ableton Live that might get you what you want (if you have Live).

Return to “Effects”