EXTERNAL SSD DRIVE PROBLEM

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i have some kontakt libraries in an external ssd its one of the fastest ssd's but when i load a kontakt library it takes the same time as an ordinary hdd drive !!! WHY !!!

MAICO MALNERO wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:10 am i have some kontakt libraries in an external ssd its one of the fastest ssd's but when i load a kontakt library it takes the same time as an ordinary hdd drive !!! WHY !!!
Because it's external, dude :hihi: External drives always have long access time, especially when they fall into sleep mode.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

:x
DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:26 am
MAICO MALNERO wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:10 am i have some kontakt libraries in an external ssd its one of the fastest ssd's but when i load a kontakt library it takes the same time as an ordinary hdd drive !!! WHY !!!
Because it's external, dude :hihi: External drives always have long access time, especially when they fall into sleep mode.

Because it doesnt matter how fast the hard drive is, the speed of the transfer is still limited by the speed of the slowest part of that device chain, including the data connection.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

+1
For example, USB 2.0 would cause that bottleneck.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

MAICO MALNERO wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:19 am :x
:tantrum:

Michael L wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:01 pm +1
should i connect it to a different usb port michael stipe ?

MAICO MALNERO wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:25 am
Yes, connect it to a USB 3.0, USB 3.1 or USB-C port with a USB 3 or USB-C cable, NOT with a USB 2.0 cable.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

No, do not connect your hard drive to Michael Stipe. He doesnt like it.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:40 am No, do not connect your hard drive to Michael Stipe. He doesnt like it.
Automatic (backup) for the People

Michael L wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:07 am
Yes, connect it to a USB 3.0, USB 3.1 or USB-C port with a USB 3 or USB-C cable, NOT with a USB 2.0 cable.
I FOUND A USB PORT THAT SUPPOSSED TO BE 3.0 BECAUSE ITS BLUE IN THE MIDDLE BUT THE CONNECTION IS STILL SLOW :cry:

Did you use the right cable?

You have USB troubles all over. For instance with keyboard's caps lock..
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

hmmmm....is the drive connection itself USB 3, or there will not be any gain.....even if computer side and cable is USB 3.

To test either way, take a file a couple of GB and measure the time it takes to copy to internal hdd in computer. Do it both ways, and at least two times, to possibly get any caching comparison.

My own tests of USB2 was that drive was 5-6 times slower than internal SATA2 drives(3 Gbps).

I talked some folks at Spitfire Audio about a library they had delivered on SSD and asked about USB 3 or not - and they did not know.
- you can always take drive out and connect with sata in computer

So they claim it was ready to run from ssd - but it was USB 2 - so really weird how little knowledge even at manufacturers side. It will be dead slow.

It was the new BBC Orchestra.

I earlier bought on hdd another library they have, and this was for install purposes alone, also what they said, so perfect in this sense this hdd service.

So somebody fooled them into thinking SSD makes the difference and still do USB2 only - strange....

There are many things that could be causing this:

1. Using a crappy SATA-to-USB enclosure. They are not all created equal.
2. Using a SATA-to-USB2 enclosure. BOTH sides must be USB3 devices for you to get USB3 speeds.
3. Using the wrong cable
4. Using a bad cable
5. Using a USB hub in between the drive and computer
6. You are not actually connecting to a USB 3.0 port
7. You don't have the correct chipset drivers installed for your motherboard and are only getting USB2 speed on all ports
8. You are still loading the Kontakt library from your internal drive, by mistake.

If you aren't sure what kind of enclosure you have, look at the USB port on it. It should look either like this: https://www.stc-cable.com/uploads/2t3xsivowvc4868.jpg

or like this: https://www.cooldrives.com/catalog/prod ... mage/2140/
Last edited by teilo on Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”