Is recording a guitar amp still necessary?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:56 pm
for home now though i just have q little solid state orange crush.
I picked up an Orange OC20 recently. The line out has a cab sim built in and sounds pretty good to me. I used to have a Vox AC30 back in the 80s, but the neighbours didn't like it. :hihi:

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:53 pm
for home now though i just have q little solid state orange crush.
I picked up an Orange Crush 20 recently. The line out has a cab sim built in and sounds pretty good to me. I used to have a Vox AC30 back in the 80s, but the neighbours didn't like it. :hihi:
sadly mine is the 20 but an earlier model
no line out. :(

On mine the headphone out doubles as a line out, but yeah, the cab sim is only in the current models.

i use an amp (Peavey Revolution 112 Red Stripe) and its Line Out into a direct box, and i do this because my room is not treated (mic-ing the amp sounds like CRAP because of this) and my pedals are awesome. sometimes i will plug in directly to my interface if i am using Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar 2, but for little else. i know my setup isn't ideal, but neither is my playing
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:10 pm On mine the headphone out doubles as a line out, but yeah, the cab sim is only in the current models.
i may grab one of those as well eventually, like the idea of a matched pair for some stereo fx.
and they're nice little amps.
ocassionally i get tempted by the rocker32 but i think that's getting close to annoying neighbours :hihi:
although it does have an option to step down to 15w.

vurt wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:15 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:10 pm On mine the headphone out doubles as a line out, but yeah, the cab sim is only in the current models.
i may grab one of those as well eventually, like the idea of a matched pair for some stereo fx.
ocassionally i get tempted by the rocker32 but i think that's getting close to annoying neighbours :hihi:
I have 2 of them for exactly the reason you mentioned. I have a few stereo pedals, so it seemed a good plan. I've never actually rigged them both up yet ...

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:22 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:15 pm
I have 2 of them for exactly the reason you mentioned. I have a few stereo pedals, so it seemed a good plan. I've never actually rigged them both up yet ...
it's also nice for wet/dry camping. which can sound great with your grunge in one amp then massive reverb in the other, so you still get the twang but also that cavernous feel (obvs depending on what tones you're after)

i have the crush and some no name thing at the min, but matched pair would be better :)

Is recording a guitar amp still necessary?
only if I want to hear it :shrug:

ftr even a sim is still a guitar amp
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

man ive not seen that in years!

was a member a while ago, in a discussion about guitar amps.

The legendary JP22!

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Jp22

:hihi:

I just picked up an Apollo UAD2 Firewire interface (Something bad is happening in my RME FireFace 400) and I was going though some of the plugin demos, and even though it was on an analog synth, (Studio Electronics ATC-X) I got a really great sound out of the Diezel's Herbert emulation. Shame it didn’t seem to have a way to defeat the cabinet emulation.

We talk a lot about guitar amps, but if you haven’t used one as an effect for a synth, you’re missing out. The shame is, most amps don’t want a synth output. This makes emulations really useful. I often use Amplitube Ampeg on bass synths.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Loving my new Ampeg BA 112.

Best fun I've had so far is with the Ampeg, super cool and easy to use with headphones in my setup, love it.

Best sound I've achieved so far though is via Amplitube so I'm delighted so far with HW amp for rocking out and virtual for recording.

That said, I hadn't thought about using the headphone out of the amp to feed into the computer. Will try.

In other news after 2 weeks I've worked out how to hold a bass properly and play notes. What amazing progress I'm making!

Well, the moment I realised I could actually play the bass to Joy Div's Transmission was pretty special too...

vurt wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:12 pm geddy lee sounds like an idiot.
save the fuel costs and don't put anything there :dog:
No, no, you have it all wrong. Those are not mere props. That laundry you see in there is from local homeless people in that city and after the show, Geddy hands them their freshly washed clothes and a rotisserie chicken to go! :wink:

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:38 am I just picked up an Apollo UAD2 Firewire interface (Something bad is happening in my RME FireFace 400) and I was going though some of the plugin demos, and even though it was on an analog synth, (Studio Electronics ATC-X) I got a really great sound out of the Diezel's Herbert emulation. Shame it didn’t seem to have a way to defeat the cabinet emulation.

We talk a lot about guitar amps, but if you haven’t used one as an effect for a synth, you’re missing out. The shame is, most amps don’t want a synth output. This makes emulations really useful. I often use Amplitube Ampeg on bass synths.
Fully agree. I use the amp sims and pedal board FX on synths in Logic all the time.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I was very unhappy with cabinet emulation results. but i find now a way to get a sound i like with create 2 impulses of my amp.i do a video and you can see a compare of mic record and speaker simulation. its still not perfect. because somebody need write code to simulate the distortion and intermodulation distortion of such a 1 way speaker cabinet at high frequency and loud volume https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVXV7PUDFKg
win 10 64 22H2 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 32 GB Ram

I was a die-hard tube amp guy until recently - Kemper is perfect for recording, blows everything else away!

Return to “Guitars”