Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My favorite compressors that I gravitate towards on every project
Goodhertz Vulf Compressor
Kush Novatron
Unfiltered Audio Zip
Boz Digital Labs Manic Compressor

I like to manually draw in volume automation curves. It's more analog.
A well-behaved signature.

Actually there is a really good video for Infected Mushroom's Gatekeeper plugin where they sort of do that with its MSEGs and it works surprisingly well. It certainly gives you a lot more control than a compressor.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:06 am Actually there is a really good video for Infected Mushroom's Gatekeeper plugin where they sort of do that with its MSEGs and it works surprisingly well. It certainly gives you a lot more control than a compressor.
Yeah i use Cableguys Volumeshaper a lot for that. It has 3 bands so you can shape everything the way you want. Best transparent compressor/transient shaper you'll find.
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:37 am
BONES wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:06 am Actually there is a really good video for Infected Mushroom's Gatekeeper plugin where they sort of do that with its MSEGs and it works surprisingly well. It certainly gives you a lot more control than a compressor.
Yeah i use Cableguys Volumeshaper a lot for that. It has 3 bands so you can shape everything the way you want. Best transparent compressor/transient shaper you'll find.
I was (half) joking, but I've seen at least one producer's youtube video where he automates the gain with Ableton's gain automation on clips. Said he likes it better than using a compressor.
A well-behaved signature.

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 am Yeah, that's because they all do the same stuff and any differences you think you are hearing are mostly in your head. Compressors are the most over-used, over-hyped thing since I don't know what.
Hmm
Edit: Are you sure you know how to use a compressor?

SeeingInMidi wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:11 am
BONES wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 am Yeah, that's because they all do the same stuff and any differences you think you are hearing are mostly in your head. Compressors are the most over-used, over-hyped thing since I don't know what.
Hmm
Edit: Are you sure you know how to use a compressor?
That might be the wrong rabbit hole. Bones mentioned in another thread that he mixes through a potato. I suspect he is not able to hear a lot of nuance.
It's a blessing in a way. If all compressors sound the same to you, then you get to save a ton of money on compressors. Hence, I also suspect he makes 10 times more music than me, not in small part because of how much I get sidetracked fiddling with compressors.

I tend to reach for 2 before anything else, dependong on what i'm compressing.

And 1176 (IK Multimedia or Waves CLA 76)
or
SSL Bus Compressor

These are two that I just seem to get on with the best.

I own loads of compressors , Klanghelms is pretty good too DC8C , COMPassion, the waves compressors like Rencomp, C6, get some use.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

HoRNet wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:24 am
codec_spurt wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:31 pm I just had a play about with the Multicomp. I couldn't get it to sound anything like the SSL G bus comp, not in "console4k" mode anyway. It just sounds very different. Are you sure it's the bus comp it's modeling and not the channel comp from that series?
Yes you are right indeed, the console4k model is the channel compressor not the bus one. :)
We actually don't have a b4k bus compressor emulation, probably in the next version.

Saverio

That would be pretty sweet!

You could do a new GUI design (say a bit of Blue in the waveform).

Charge for an upgrade (at 60 percent off of course :) ).

This is a really superb plugin. I've wanted to get it for a long time. Super versatile. Great work. As a track compressor there is very little it can't do (imho).

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 am The one that sits in the mixer strip in Cubase. Honestly, it's a compressor, it does what it does.
Yes, you CAN. but almost everyone and anyone are a slut. we want MORE. we crave MORE. we lust MORE. you have a comp that pleases you ? there is a BETTER, you can bet on it !
So, most people end up with 25-50 compressors in all colours (pun INTENDED), all shapes and form, paid, free, stolen, was used in Abbey Road studios or Gabby Freud studios, by CLA or NBA or CIA.
BONES wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 am And there is no way you should be putting it on every track, that's just nuts.
It depends. it's a case by case affair. very little (can) go a long way.
BONES wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 am I use it on my kick and on vocals. For the kick it is to fundamentally change the character of the sound, with vocals it is because I have no other means of controlling the dynamics.
In electronic music, IMO, a compressor will do very little good to a kick. there are more means to achieve "bettering" of the sound (and sometimes you just CANT).
BONES wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 am
reggie1979 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:53 pmI just love these threads. Almost everyone has something different :hihi:
Compressors are the most over-used, over-hyped thing since I don't know what.
Ain't that the goddamn truth :roll:

Yes, compressors are over-rated, over-used, over-hyped. people tend to forget what was the original purpose of this tool. they hail them as the "be all end all". as in "the compressor makes the music".
One can achieve DR reduction in SO MANY WAYS, that it makes me wonder what is it that is so appealing in the word "compress". so, I went to a date... and the woman was like "what do you do for a living ?". I stared at her and said slowly ".... I.... C-O-M-P-R-E-S-S". she burst in tears and started yelling "oh, marry me ! I want to have your kids !" :P

My Go-to comp is actually an EQ that has tube emulation innit :P

Michey wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:40 pmIm in the midst of forming my own company called "Go2".
You do realise that Rob Papen has a synth called Go2, don't you?
In that case I shall call the company "GoToo" ! [Like in "Dumb and Dumber Too"] :wink:

Izotope Multiband Dynamics from Ozone package. It is transparent, has autogain per band so it doesn't change spectral balance and can have second expander stage in one device.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Goto TRACK compressor = Waves MV2
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

eytanmich123 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:53 am
BONES wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 am The one that sits in the mixer strip in Cubase. Honestly, it's a compressor, it does what it does.
Yes, you CAN. but almost everyone and anyone are a slut. we want MORE. we crave MORE. we lust MORE. you have a comp that pleases you ? there is a BETTER, you can bet on it !
So, most people end up with 25-50 compressors in all colours (pun INTENDED), all shapes and form, paid, free, stolen, was used in Abbey Road studios or Gabby Freud studios, by CLA or NBA or CIA.
BONES wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 am And there is no way you should be putting it on every track, that's just nuts.
It depends. it's a case by case affair. very little (can) go a long way.
BONES wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 am I use it on my kick and on vocals. For the kick it is to fundamentally change the character of the sound, with vocals it is because I have no other means of controlling the dynamics.
In electronic music, IMO, a compressor will do very little good to a kick. there are more means to achieve "bettering" of the sound (and sometimes you just CANT).
reggie1979 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:53 pmI just love these threads. Almost everyone has something different :hihi:
Compressors are the most over-used, over-hyped thing since I don't know what.
Ain't that the goddamn truth :roll:

Yes, compressors are over-rated, over-used, over-hyped. people tend to forget what was the original purpose of this tool. they hail them as the "be all end all". as in "the compressor makes the music".
One can achieve DR reduction in SO MANY WAYS, that it makes me wonder what is it that is so appealing in the word "compress". so, I went to a date... and the woman was like "what do you do for a living ?". I stared at her and said slowly ".... I.... C-O-M-P-R-E-S-S". she burst in tears and started yelling "oh, marry me ! I want to have your kids !" :P

My Go-to comp is actually an EQ that has tube emulation innit :P
I don't use too much compression, but I hardly think they are over-rated. When used properly actually add dynamics and meld things together nicely. Then again, "used properly" isn't what I hear very often :lol:

I know a purist that don't use compressors AT ALL. Not a single limiter or compressor. For a whole album! Not even at mastering! Only using only a little bit of EQ and then only volume/automation.. Surely that is a somewhat esoteric way to mix... But some of the most dynamic and rich/full sound I ever heard came out of that actually. It's amazing when your hear it. Almost everything else sounds dull/lifeless in comparisson. No details. No subletly. Although, in a way it destroyed the pleasure to me of listening to a lot of other music, so it wasn't all good to have this "a-ha" experience... :)

Personally I tend to use less compressing during the last year, instead I often reach for transient shapers/envelopes shaper.
I don't need to compress all tracks, so there can not be any "go to compressor" really (well, maybe compressors like Presswerk since it is so versatile).

I tend to ask myself: Do I REALLY need a compressor on this track? Why? What do I want to achieve with it? Can I do it with a little bit of volume automation instead or even EQ automation?

Return to “Effects”