Fragile Gods - "This Blue World"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wrote this summery pop song and I finally finished tweaking it, just in time for Halloween. :help:

Introducing Katie J on lead vocals. Aika Zabala sang harmonies on the chorus.

https://youtu.be/gytIMnG_BlY
https://soundcloud.com/fragilegods/this-blue-world

Instruments: Icarus, Monark, Audjoo Helix, Rayblaster, BFD3, Sonic Couture Electro-Acoustic

Lyrics are on Soundcloud. Any feedback is appreciated.

Edits
Nov 3: Adjusted the vocal level of verse 1 to better match verse 2's vocal level.
Nov 9: Lowered the drum machine levels to be closer to the acoustic drum levels.
Nov 10: Added video.
Last edited by Frantz on Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

Always look forward to your tracks. Like DT, you don't post nearly enough. As usual, top notch stuff here. Katie has a really cool voice. Absolutely nothing to criticize here. I know I said it before but in another era you could have had a monster career. I will probably listen to this track more than once. One thing I have to comment on. LOVE that bass. Which synth did the bass part?

wagtunes wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:18 am Always look forward to your tracks. Like DT, you don't post nearly enough. As usual, top notch stuff here. Katie has a really cool voice. Absolutely nothing to criticize here. I know I said it before but in another era you could have had a monster career. I will probably listen to this track more than once. One thing I have to comment on. LOVE that bass. Which synth did the bass part?
Thanks for your kind words!

I used Monark for most of the bass but occasionally I switched to Icarus for a brighter sound. I used ShaperBox2 on both bass synths to provide some small variations in the sound.

Frantz,
Thank you for the review! Now your song: sounds rather 80's, which is fine by me. Katie reminds me of Terri Nunn (Berlin), which is a big compliment from me. Aika sounds very good also. Keep working with these singers if you can, they sound great together. The entire song sounds really good, nice melodies! I think it is radio worthy. Overall, perhaps your most pleasing song for me. :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

This song is very 'American', indeed. It's just that special vibe and songwriting/singing that reminded me of American pop music. Although the instrumentation is quite different to current 'billboard music', and, of course - your typical 80's sounds used here make the track work in another direction than pop. Nice work!

Excellent, and a bit different too. When I was listening to it (with my arrangement head on... :scared: ) I was thinking, hmmm, would be nice to have a bit with just vocals on their own...and lo and behold... :love:

Nice work.

aaron aardvark wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:17 am Now your song: sounds rather 80's, which is fine by me. Katie reminds me of Terri Nunn (Berlin), which is a big compliment from me. Aika sounds very good also. Keep working with these singers if you can, they sound great together. The entire song sounds really good, nice melodies! I think it is radio worthy. Overall, perhaps your most pleasing song for me. :)
I am glad you liked the vocalists and the song. I wanted to do something that had a chance of getting on more Spotify playlists. The playlist curators don't seem to appreciate my growling. :help:

Thanks for your comments. :)

very well done ...
clinically crisp and pared of extraneous bits ...
everything fits cleanly , and flows ...
loved the outro ...

Great production, catchy chorus. It's very good!

I have 2 minor criticisms:

Not a fan of the glitchy fills in the intro and towards the end. To me, they break up the build up, with the underlying beat being so straight. Seems at odds with the song. Also seem loud.

I miss your voice. Surely it'd work with you joining in the first four lines of the chorus, and spotify be damned? I like the vocals you have of course.

htcnext2 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:54 am This song is very 'American', indeed. It's just that special vibe and songwriting/singing that reminded me of American pop music. Although the instrumentation is quite different to current 'billboard music', and, of course - your typical 80's sounds used here make the track work in another direction than pop. Nice work!
I was going for straightforward pop this time. I guess since the lead vocalist and I are both American, it is not surprising that it sounds American although it is not something I thought about when making it.

I actually tried listening to the current Billboard charts to see if I could use more contemporary sounds but pretty much hated it so I ended up doing my version of what I thought pop should sound like.

Thanks for your comments. :)

Wooaaa! I enjoyed this catchy and dulcet song. It is beautifully straight
with the very commemorating chorus line "this world is here for you and me",
it is a "real" hitpopsong! The ending is somewhat particular. :tu:

What I would change: Kick and snare are a bit up front, so I would
reduce their volume or their transients by 1 - 1.5 dB. But that is just
my taste. :wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Very catchy. Nice hooky chorus. Great mix and excellent vocals ... Good job Frantz.

Can't fault the production, arrangement, or the performances; and there are parts that I do really like. Unfortunately, the cheesiness of the verses (Chords, melody and lyrics) grates just a little too much, for me.

That's not to say it's bad. I can imagine exactly what you were going for, and think you achieved it. It's just me. Maybe I'd change my opinion over repeated hearings.

Great job, though :tu:

A well done pop song. The lead singer reminds me a little of Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac. It definitely feels mostly like 80s post punk to me at least.

I wonder if this song could cross over to the Country genre with a different arrangement.

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Music Cafe”