EnergyXT-VST 64bit Alternative.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The vst version of EnergyXT is only 32bit, is there any 64bit alternative similar to it that will let you have audio and midi tracks within it ?

The only other DAW I know of that also has a VST plugin version is FL Studio.

You could also give using ReWire a shot, which will let 2 DAWs send audio/midi to each other. There's a larger amount of programs that support that.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

EnergyXT2 will never be true 64bit native. The best you can hope for is already all that you have - and that is the latest version works on multicore - so that is something. But it won't ever be able to use 64bit plugins natively. You will always need to bridge.

But then again, what do I know? I hope Jorgen might one day knock this up for us. It's not beyond the realms of possibility, just highly unlikely at this point. Then again, many thought we would never see multicore.

Jorgen is whimsical and mercurial. He can't be blackmailed or threatened or coerced. Even flattery doesn't work on him. He knows what he created. He knows the waiting market, even to this day, that would pick up this masterpiece of software design, should he have a change of heart.

It's probably best just to let go now. Like that old friend you have that just got married, and has lost touch with you, and you know is never 'coming back'.

I know nothing about Jorgen's personal life, or even personality really. He is a true enigma. Even more than Gol from Fruity Loops fame. But if he wanted to create a new, true, EnergyXT THREE! then he could for sure. But would he make that much money? Is money a motivator for him? Would it be worth all the bitching and whining? Is he just burned out? Does he have other things to take care of in life? Who knows... (and those who do know are not saying).

I'm not really a programmer, so you probably don't want to listen to my opinion on this, but apart from him creating a new program and version of EXT2 (and with all the hassle that would entail), I don't think it would take TOO much effort to get the current EnergyXT2 up to speed for 64bit systems. Then again, I don't know what shortcuts he took when he originally designed the program, or if they even matter that much in translating it to new modern architecture. It probably wouldn't be difficult, but there might be something idiosyncratic in there to be a major bugbear. I don't know.

I doubt technical issues hold Jorgen back. He's a hacker after all. In the truest sense of the word. EnergyXT is just one major hack that got out of hand and stopped being a joke, after a while...

But it's not all doom and gloom. EnergyXT2 at least works surprisingly well and efficiently on modern 64bit OS's. I'm writing this now on Win7-64bit and the program just flies like shit off a blanket! It takes absolutely no time at all to scan new plugins. If it crashes, it crashes, but that is very rare. Older 2.7 and earlier are your best bet. Very latest versions have 'issues'.

Would I pay for a new upgrade? Damn right I would. And so would many others. I'd be happy to pay 200-300 bucks for a new version. Even just a new updated and compatible version that was rock solid. That is pushing it, but I'm not alone in that. But I doubt Jorgen would do it just for the money. If he did it, he'd have his own reasons and he'd probably be happy with 50 - 100 bucks here or there. Pure conjecture on my part.

EnergyXT2 has a new programming language (C++ iirc) and the old EnergyXT1 was Delphi. So we can all safely kiss goodbye to that ever being updated. I think.

But Jorgen is a genius. He could do whatever he wants, should the mood take him, and should he maintain that mood long enough. He's taken a lot of flak and insults over the years too, some of it justified, much of it not. So maybe his abandoment of the EnergyXT project it just a big 'up yours'. Again, who knows...

But the software still works great, even on 64bit OS's. It looks good and is simple to use. It even subscribes to the common 'linear DAW' paradigm that makes it universally easy to operate. And it adds a very nifty 'Semi-Modular' paradigm in to the mix as well, that can be operated in tandem with that other more common paradigm. In short, there is no other DAW in the world quite like it!

I gave up on any future development years ago. That is why I don't get so upset, and why I am happy to keep it around while it still works and I have other new fantastic DAWs like Tracktion Waveform and Steinberg Cubase to play with (and everything in between).

I don't use EnergyXT out of any misguided romantic notion, I use it because it is the only DAW in existence that can open up in 2 seconds flat, and be reading whatever VSTs you just put in to your folder. It is a hard fact that there is not one other DAW in existence that can do this. It is absolutely unique in that regard, even to this day. The fact it is also 95-98 percent stable as well only goes in its favour. It keeps getting used because it 'just works'. And no other DAW works 'just like it'.

It will never be beat. Not now.

We are very lucky to have it. And to have it working so well on our modern systems. This is testament (or just pure luck, maybe) to Jorgen's vision and programming skills. Who knows?

We still have it. It still works. You can still buy it for less than 20 Euros.

But man, what I wouldn't give for a working up to date version in VSTi format. So I could use all those 'tracks' I did in Cubase and Ableton too!

I try not to go down that road.

I'm happy for my life, for what I have, for what still works.

And any time Jorgen wants to jump back in to the arena and show the big boys how it's done again, well, I'd be up for that too!

Enjoy what you have. It's still very workable. Even older versions of EnergyXT1. This was a beautiful time to be alive. To share in this great project in some kind of way.

It's probably time to let go now.

But I'll never stop hoping...

64-bit?

:hihi:

crossovercable wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:20 am The vst version of EnergyXT is only 32bit, is there any 64bit alternative similar to it that will let you have audio and midi tracks within it ?
TL;DR:

MUX, Kushview Element, Patcher, Metaplugin -

https://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html

https://kushview.net/

https://www.image-line.com/support/flst ... atcher.htm

https://ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst- ... x-wrapper/

codec_spurt wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:53 am I don't use EnergyXT out of any misguided romantic notion, I use it because it is the only DAW in existence that can open up in 2 seconds flat,
i'm an old Amiga 500 user that first started sequencing with a DAW called Music-X.
i searched for a daw as similar to it for PC back then and discovered Jorgen's
Massiva... i clicked with it, and its been all XT since then.

ENERGY FOREVER :love:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

codec_spurt wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:03 am MUX, Kushview Element, Patcher, Metaplugin
Kushview just went open-source and free, which is super nice.

But unfortunately, none of those
crossovercable wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:20 amwill let you have audio and midi tracks within it

MUX will let you have audio and midi tracks if you use a sequence player module. MUX8 (which is currently in public beta) even has their new time stretch algo for it's samplers and audio sequences. Worth a check in my book, though some may consider me a fan boy of it. However it's not an optimal (nor entirely easy) use case. MUX is more synth/effect than tracker/sequencer.

FLS plugin is the only "DAW in a VST" I know of.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

AJYoung wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:00 am
codec_spurt wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:03 am MUX, Kushview Element, Patcher, Metaplugin
Kushview just went open-source and free, which is super nice.

But unfortunately, none of those
crossovercable wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:20 amwill let you have audio and midi tracks within it

Fair point. But I suppose it's how you define 'having audio'. You could always plug in a sampler and loop stuff. Not what most people want of course, I know, but still.

The OP definition was kind of vague.

But sure, EnergyXT being a DAW is going to have full Audio implementation and then some!

If it's doable, I'm sure someone will point it out.

"Audio" is a pretty non-descript kind of 'ask'.

dakkra wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:16 am FLS plugin is the only "DAW in a VST" I know of.
This is what I would use. Can use in stereo or with multi. It saves well with the host master project. Does audio superbly.

Stuff like Kushview and whatnot can load audio as well though, just not as elegantly. You load the 'module' and then load the 'audio'.

But yeah, FLS is the only DAW as VSTi, since Jorgen stopped VSTi support for EnergyXT2 with 2.54, I think it was. Don't quote me on that.

I believe Reason can now be used as a VST inside another host.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:54 am I believe Reason can now be used as a VST inside another host.
Reason's Rack is now a vst plugin, but not the full DAW with Mixer/Sequencer. Still, pretty awesome tool.

Thanks ! It's for using in Band in a Box, the EnergyXT-vst works well to be able to add extra tracks in Biab. The ReWireVST is great also but Biab needs fixing for it to work correctly as the return audio from the DAW is distorted and scratchy.
RapidComposer works as a vst also but the vst version won't let you add an audio track only midi.
I'll try the suggestions above, thanks again !

I downloaded Kushview has Audio Player and Media Player elements but could not get them to sync correctly.
EDIT: couldn't get the MUX to work either.
All the other are just plugin chainers, IL-MiniHost 32/64 Win/Mac is good for this and it's free.

layzer wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:36 am i'm an old Amiga 500 user that first started sequencing with a DAW called Music-X.
Happy days! :) It was OctaMED on my old Amiga 500+ that got me into what I do now.

crossovercable wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:56 am EDIT: couldn't get the MUX to work either.
Which issue did you get?
And were you trying MUX 7 or MUX 8?

Return to “Instruments”