Soundspot Union Wavetable Synth out today

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's not true they don't update the software,maybe they lack of comunication :D
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

tatanka wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:41 am
This will not be abandonware, there will be added controls and features over time
This looks of course good news but may I ask how come that you know ? Are you the dev or otherwise involved (apart from marketing....) ?
I work for SoundSpot in customer relations, beta testing etc. Just felt that it was about time we had a presence on the forums, so we can help put minds at ease. :tu:

Now,,,,, back to page 3. :p

Hear2help wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:37 am I work for SoundSpot in customer relations, beta testing etc. Just felt that it was about time we had a presence on the forums, so we can help put minds at ease. :tu:
So, what do you have to say about CPU usage? Right now, it seems to me like the biggest con of the synth.
Fernando (FMR)

reusenoise wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:36 am It's not true they don't update the software,maybe they lack of comunication :D
Those were an update that fixed an issue where plugins would revert to trial, and not a feature update.
Your suggestions are taken into consideration, and who's to say you will not be seeing some updates of older products in the future? ;) . We also try not to add unnecessary features to limit CPU consumption, but that is not saying it will never happen. :tu:

lobanov wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:47 pm This synth isn't basic. This is a TOY SYNTH. :hihi:

P.S. I have not said this synth is bad. And "toy synth" is a niche, a sort of new word in the audio market. :P
In the immortal words of the Carpenters "it's only just begun". ;)
There will be added features and controls appearing over the coarse of time. :tu:

fmr wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:40 am
Hear2help wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:37 am I work for SoundSpot in customer relations, beta testing etc. Just felt that it was about time we had a presence on the forums, so we can help put minds at ease. :tu:
So, what do you have to say about CPU usage? Right now, it seems to me like the biggest con of the synth.
Con?. £5.99 is a con?. Refinements will happen, and even synths like Serum were heavy on CPU when first released. This is a first build, and updates will happen.
CPU usage is dependent on your current system and how many voices you use. OSC3 will be the heaviest due to it being a wavtable oscillator, but we are looking to refine this over time. :tu:

Hear2help wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:50 am Con?. £5.99 is a con?.
The price isn't. CPU consumption is :shrug:
Hear2help wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:50 am Refinements will happen, and even synths like Serum were heavy on CPU when first released. This is a first build, and updates will happen.
CPU usage is dependent on your current system and how many voices you use. OSC3 will be the heaviest due to it being a wavtable oscillator, but we are looking to refine this over time. :tu:
It seems to me your synth is very dependent on Unison to sound good. The oscs sound too "thin" to me, and only by raising Unison can we get something. However, Unison is a CPU hog. Glad to hear that refinements will happen. :)
Last edited by fmr on Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Well, if you are collating feature requests, I have a couple -
- velocity modulation of amp and cutoff at a minimum. Freely assignable anywhere would be even better. MPE support would be superb.
- more filter types. I find notch filters particularly useful in synths.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I purchased Union when it was released and think it a great little synth for its price. I own quite a few Soundspot plugs and some of them really do shine like Firefly.
Keep up the good work Soundspot!

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:29 am Well, if you are collating feature requests, I have a couple -
- velocity modulation of amp and cutoff at a minimum. Freely assignable anywhere would be even better. MPE support would be superb.
- more filter types. I find notch filters particularly useful in synths.
I will note your suggestions, and pass them over to the Development team. Also,thank you for sticking up for us in regards to corrections. :tu:

Mikelo wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:36 am I purchased Union when it was released and think it a great little synth for its price. I own quite a few Soundspot plugs and some of them really do shine like Firefly.
Keep up the good work Soundspot!
Thank you for those kind words, and we will continue keeping up the good work. :tu:

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lempface wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:57 pm
Teksonik wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:24 pm We'll have to agree to disagree then. Air's Wavetable synth Hybrid 3 just blows Union away in terms of sound quality in my opinion and of course feature set although Union's generate WT is nice. Hybrid is as far from bland as you can get in my opinion. Crisp and unapologetically digital sounding in a world that is pathologically obsessed with Analog. :tu:
I'm gonna have to go ahead and question you on this. Hybrid 3 is probably the worst sounding synth I've had the displeasure to use. Funnily enough, every preset has this "air" about it that just sounds like some really harsh white noise in the high range. Thought it was maybe just the preset designer but after spending a few hours with it ugh... What you call unapologetically digital I call terrible. I don't mind "digital" sound synths at all, but the thing is just putrid.

I'd honestly be interested to hear it in a context from someone who enjoys it though, so if you've used it in a production and wouldn't mind to share I'd love to hear it.
You can't question someone's opinion. I like the sound of Hybrid 3. I've used it in projects and have done a bunch of patches for it that I find quite pleasing.

Here's a few from a year ago....

Hybrid 3 Teksonik 01

We all have different tastes we all make different music and we all like different sounds.

I simply gave my opinion on this statement:
Sinisterbr wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:04 pm Sound wise it's light years ahead of Air synths, I can say that! :)
In my opinion Hybrid simply blows away the sound of Union.... :shrug:

(as do Xpand!2 and Loom since they are also Air Synths)

But I like Union and will probably pick it up at some point since there are hints by someone I'm not sure is even connected to the project of future updates. :wink:
Last edited by Teksonik on Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Vortifex wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:00 pm
Hear2help wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:02 am
onerob wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:25 pm UK intro price: £5.99. Now that's aggressive, even for a limited synth.
Making products affordable is not a crime. You may think it is limited, but this synth will be receiving updates over the coarse of time. Updates like added features and controls. :tu:
Which features and controls will be added?
I cannot comment on exactly what features and when as this will have to be decided by the Development team. That being said, we are listening. :wink:

Perhaps if you would stop being so cryptic and announce who you are...... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”