Soundspot Union Wavetable Synth out today

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zzz00m wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:26 amThe PDF manual is a free download from the Soundspot website.
Its actually included in the download, too.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

At least the filter of oscillator 3 is paraphonic, or the mod envelope is retriggered for held notes.
To reproduce. take sound Dirty Bar Steward from the Plucks. switch off osc 1 & 2, switch off all effects, and play. Its very obvious...
I would like to find out why its acting like that, I must say I am not so sure if I understood that sort of "wavetable" creation at all. Its something different and might be interesting in itself. I just want to understand how its implemented. I would rather advertise it as something radically new than as a wavetable...

edit: it seems on the next sound "Don't tell Zebedee" all oscillators behave like that...

Nice little synth. Wouldn't pay premium price but for a beer? Easily worth few beers :tu:

(pint of beer is around 8-9€ here).

Wonder if there's a bug in vst3 version. When I close osc 1&2, then hit that wt generation button, all the sounds are lost.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:42 pm
Wonder if there's a bug in vst3 version. When I close osc 1&2, then hit that wt generation button, all the sounds are lost.
The wave table is generated from the osc 1&2 signal path. No signal, no sounds...
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:45 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:42 pm
The wave table is generated from the osc 1&2 signal path. No signal, no sounds...
Ah.. That explains it.. Thx :tu:
And no, I'm not going to read the manual :lol:

Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:11 pm
Well at 18 pages, it's no encyclopedia, that's for sure... :D

If you missed it, the OP already posted a helpful quick start video on page 1.

Nice, used my 'Virtual Cash' on Plugin Boutique to pay for this synth, so basically got it for free :D

zzz00m wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:57 pm

The Massive X manual I have has 128 pages...

Calenberger wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:12 pm
zzz00m wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:57 pm

The Massive X manual I have has 128 pages...
OK. :clap:

Nice sounding synth with fresh presets, like the layout and easy filter LFO routing.

Modwheel is non existent on this synth, never mind the modulation - If we could have modwheel be included to the LFO routing option, that would be gold.

That, and the non-existent velocity is the deal breaker for me right now.

I like the synth look and layout, and it clearly has a lot of potential when/if the missing features are addressed.

Not sure what they were thinking by releasing a synth missing such basic synth features? Velocity and modulation have been part of the MIDI standard for over 30 years! :dog:

Basspartout wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:22 pm Nice GUI and easy sounddesign, but the HUGE CPU load makes it impossible to use for me. :-(
CPU load is a function of the number of unison voices x number of held notes along with envelope release length. With 32 possible unison voices per oscillator and 3 oscillators, it is very easy to overload your CPU with this synth. However, if you use lower unison values, CPU usage is not really that bad.

zzz00m wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:16 pm That, and the non-existent velocity is the deal breaker for me right now.

I like the synth look and layout, and it clearly has a lot of potential when/if the missing features are addressed.

Not sure what they were thinking by releasing a synth missing such basic synth features? Velocity and modulation have been part of the MIDI standard for over 30 years! :dog:
I think Soundspot are very good at concept, design, and GUI implementation but they should probably partner with someone else to actually make the plugins.

I get the sense that they are not musicians but more graphic designers in spirit.

Yes, I've often thought the same thing. Many of their plugins don't seem to do anything useful (and often not all that well, either). But the good ones are actually quite good.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I am intrigued by Union. It certainly wouldn't be an all arounder but it looks like it would be fun to work with for a certain type of sounds.
Something with a small range but a quick and easy workflow could maybe find a place in my inceasingly crowded arsenal.

Return to “Instruments”