Any new classic synth emus on the horizon? Moog, Arp, Obie?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Turello wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:24 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:33 pm
Turello wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:34 pm I hope all the Kevin Moore (Chroma Key, ex Dream Theater) stuff... :-)
So that's mostly DW-8000 and JD-800. You can get very close to JD-800 with Roland Cloud JV-1080, actually.
It's strange but i don't like how sounds Roland and Arturia VSTs... BTW thanks... :-)
Well, I have JD-990 here, and you can go a long way with JV-1080 VST... It sounds bang on a lot of the time.

Turello wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:25 pm
BlackWinny wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:30 pm
Turello wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:12 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:43 pm
Turello wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:37 pm
BlackWinny wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:46 am My dreams to be released one day as plugins :
And two synths beloved to my heart:
Hey, if you want, I have a free emulation of the Kaway SX-240, sounds not bad... ;-)
Who made it?
VANGELIS SPANAKAKIS
Yes, yes, yes, I'm interested.
:)
32 bit only...
It's not a problem for me.
:wink:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:55 pm
Turello wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:24 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:33 pm
Turello wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:34 pm I hope all the Kevin Moore (Chroma Key, ex Dream Theater) stuff... :-)
So that's mostly DW-8000 and JD-800. You can get very close to JD-800 with Roland Cloud JV-1080, actually.
It's strange but i don't like how sounds Roland and Arturia VSTs... BTW thanks... :-)
Well, I have JD-990 here, and you can go a long way with JV-1080 VST... It sounds bang on a lot of the time.
Never listen or try JD and JV series (basically i'm a guitarist/composer)
But my all time favourite synth hardware remains the Korg Oasys... <3

BlackWinny wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:14 pm
Turello wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:37 pm

Hey, if you want, I have a free emulation of the Kaway SX-240, sounds not bad... ;-)
Who made it?
VANGELIS SPANAKAKIS
32 bit only...
Well, let me know how can i send you... ;-)

Turello wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:46 pm
BlackWinny wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:14 pm

Who made it?
VANGELIS SPANAKAKIS
32 bit only...
Well, let me know how can i send you... ;-)
Check your PM !
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

No need, it's the same that put thejonsolo over... ;-)

Ah ok !

Thanks Jon ! And thanks Turello !

Turello, check your PM though... I wrote some funny ideas in it.

Turello wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:45 pmNever listen or try JD and JV series (basically i'm a guitarist/composer)
But that's not what Kevin Moore used on classic DT stuff ;)

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:33 am
Turello wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:45 pmNever listen or try JD and JV series (basically i'm a guitarist/composer)
But that's not what Kevin Moore used on classic DT stuff ;)
Yes, of course, it's just my preference... ;-)

BlackWinny wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:28 am Ah ok !

Sorry Black, i have some problem to manage the PM that i cannot explain in english language... Hope you forgive me...

I think that there’s quite a bit of fertile ground in the synth world for good emulations. Just off the top of my head I can think of...

ARP 2600 (Arturia... not there)
Prophet VS (ditto)
CS-80 (Ditto)
Moog Modular (Ditto)
Voyetra-8
Fizmo

That said, I’m pretty satisfied with what I have, and you’ll have to come out with something at least on par with Oddity II, impOSCar II, RePro, Legend and the XILS emulations.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:45 pm I think that there’s quite a bit of fertile ground in the synth world for good emulations. Just off the top of my head I can think of...

ARP 2600 (Arturia... not there)
Prophet VS (ditto)
I'm not a big fan of some of Arturia's software synth sound, but I did compare the Prophet VS with my Sequential Circuits Prophet VS and although the calibration of settings was off, the sound was surprisingly close when I dialed them in. I started asking myself if I could get by with the software, and I could. The real deal is just not all that magical without quite a bit of effort IMO. I'm not a fan of the software interface for some reason, though. But yeah, I tested and recorded and compared both, thinking the real thing would kill it. If I just ignored looking at the software and only focused on the sound I was very impressed.

The real Prophet VS is a cool synth and all, but you have to work it to get it to be cool. It's sort of primitive, yet cutting edge for when it came out. It's almost like trying to go to the moon using the original rocket that first went there. If you don't like the software sound you probably wouldn't like the sound of the real thing any better. I do like the interface and feel of the real synth though, that's where it shines most. But the software has easy preset management, effects, etcetera.

Wayoutware (Jim Heinz) did a version of the ARP2600 which I thought sounded better than the Arturia one. Unfortunately it had a number of problems but I don't think it would be too hard to create a better emulation than those two.

I'm thinking that with some of the hardware there are actually two elements - the sound (oscillators, filters etc) and then the architecture. I remember having alot of fun with Zootooks Synthi emulation - probably more down to the architecture than the sound (which I assume was based on fairly standard Reaktor components).

but what would I know...
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Turello wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:49 am
BlackWinny wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:28 am Ah ok !

Sorry Black, i have some problem to manage the PM that i cannot explain in english language... Hope you forgive me...
Don't worry friend. Hmm... I've also rudiments of Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Tibetan, Sanskrit, and a small bit of Hebrew and Japanese (not the same level to each one of all these, of course, and not as well as English unfortunately). You have the choice.
:D

But don't worry, the essential was in your first proposition. And I sincerely thank you for that.
:tu:

Return to “Instruments”