Looking for opinions on finishing a track.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by breakthefunk on Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I see that my post does not follow the MUSIC CAFE GUIDELINES. Sorry for that.

I will fix this issue after I get back home and hopefully someone will provide feedback :).

If found the intro to be a bit disjointed, and once you've established the main section it doesn't really do much else. I do like the overall sound, and laid-back vibe, so it's definitely a good start. Probably wouldn't take much work to take it from what seems like a music bed to a full track. Can definitely 'hear' some possible ideas in this :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:14 am If found the intro to be a bit disjointed, and once you've established the main section it doesn't really do much else. I do like the overall sound, and laid-back vibe, so it's definitely a good start. Probably wouldn't take much work to take it from what seems like a music bed to a full track. Can definitely 'hear' some possible ideas in this :tu:
Thanks for your input.

You are quite right in that the track is not finished, as pretty much any of my work :). It definitely cuts too rapidly and the main section drums need more variation. I was also thinking about adding another instrument but started other songs and never got back to this one. Recently I have revisited it, and I think I will finish it during the weekend.

What genre would you describe it as? I mainly listen to funk and house but wanted to get some arrangement ideas from tracks similar in style.

breakthefunk wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:50 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:14 am If found the intro to be a bit disjointed, and once you've established the main section it doesn't really do much else. I do like the overall sound, and laid-back vibe, so it's definitely a good start. Probably wouldn't take much work to take it from what seems like a music bed to a full track. Can definitely 'hear' some possible ideas in this :tu:
Thanks for your input.

You are quite right in that the track is not finished, as pretty much any of my work :). It definitely cuts too rapidly and the main section drums need more variation. I was also thinking about adding another instrument but started other songs and never got back to this one. Recently I have revisited it, and I think I will finish it during the weekend.

What genre would you describe it as? I mainly listen to funk and house but wanted to get some arrangement ideas from tracks similar in style.
I'd probably be looking to subtract parts or switch them up, rather than just add more layers. The bright piano sound is something I'd use much more sparingly, also.

What i think this needs more than arrangement changes is a more interesting progression, or the addition of a different section. As it is, you just have one riff happening.

As for styles, I heard more of an early 90's Ronny Jordan (The antidote) vibe, in this. This, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jp7l_T_NfU

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:04 pm I'd probably be looking to subtract parts or switch them up, rather than just add more layers. The bright piano sound is something I'd use much more sparingly, also.

What i think this needs more than arrangement changes is a more interesting progression, or the addition of a different section. As it is, you just have one riff happening.

As for styles, I heard more of an early 90's Ronny Jordan (The antidote) vibe, in this. This, for example:

Great tips. I will admit that I tend to overcomplicate my music. I will stick to simplicity with this one :).

I can't wait to get back home and listen to the track you have linked. Never heard of that artist.

breakthefunk wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:19 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:04 pm I'd probably be looking to subtract parts or switch them up, rather than just add more layers. The bright piano sound is something I'd use much more sparingly, also.

Great tips. I will admit that I tend to overcomplicate my music. I will stick to simplicity with this one :).

I can't wait to get back home and listen to the track you have linked. Never heard of that artist.
I don't mean overcomplicating. What you have here is very simple. Just suggesting that creating interest needn't just be about addition...or even subtraction i.e removing parts completely. Sometimes, just dropping the drums out for a few beats could be enough to add a little interest/variation. Or maybe taking a melody played by one instrument, and have it played by different instruments, at different times. These are all tricks that can add variety to a very simple piece.

However, ultimately, there's only so much you can do to add interest to one simple riff, repeating over-and-over. Maybe start listening to a good old-fashioned song, or three :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:38 pm I don't mean overcomplicating. What you have here is very simple. Just suggesting that creating interest needn't just be about addition...or even subtraction i.e removing parts completely. Sometimes, just dropping the drums out for a few beats could be enough to add a little interest/variation. Or maybe taking a melody played by one instrument, and have it played by different instruments, at different times. These are all tricks that can add variety to a very simple piece.

However, ultimately, there's only so much you can do to add interest to one simple riff, repeating over-and-over. Maybe start listening to a good old-fashioned song, or three :tu:
Yes this one is simple. What I meant is that when I start adding sounds I tend to add too much :).

I will definitely work on this track and post back when it's done, and I will most certainly listen to more "old-fashioned" songs :).

Okay, the song goes nowhere. It's just the same riff over and over. The song was basically finished at the 1 minute mark, maybe even sooner. What you have here is an idea and that's pretty much it. It needs some serious development to be called a song. There's lots you can do with this. You just need to sit down and decide what it is you want to do.

On a positive note, I've heard much worse.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:09 pm Okay, the song goes nowhere. It's just the same riff over and over. The song was basically finished at the 1 minute mark, maybe even sooner. What you have here is an idea and that's pretty much it. It needs some serious development to be called a song. There's lots you can do with this. You just need to sit down and decide what it is you want to do.

On a positive note, I've heard much worse.
Thanks for you opinion. It is indeed an idea. An idea I would like to finish :).

I hope you will listen to it again after it's done.

Get rid of the intro and start with the singer.
Try another snare.
Develop some Ideas and let it flow.
Try some chord progression.
I can go on and on.
If you are going for a repetitive loop, ok.
But a song is another world.

(( D ))

Hi

As everyone else has said, you have settled on a loop and kinda stopped there. To make a full piece you need to create a Scene and some sort of Story or it is simply a jumble of noise with no purpose.

Sure, this isn't finished, but what is the piece trying to make the listener feel? At present, it feels like you want me to feel that you are clever. Not being unkind but letting you know that ego pieces (things written only to be bangin' or fast or loud) have that effect. If that is what you want fine. Tracks you like probably have more than the feel of the performer making ego noise. This is Story and what draws a listener in.

The main Piano riff + Drum Loop is kinda cool in a Moby or Fatboy Slim sort of way but you just left it there. Once you put in a part like that, you have to think:

"What does it say?"
"What needs to be said in response?"

If you only have a sample loop that can be a bit harder than making a Variation but you can answer with another part that compliments that first part in rhythm, tone, anything that makes your Scene & Story grow.

Right now you have one idea. What other idea or at least extra detail for that idea needs to be shown to draw the listener in to not only want to hear the whole track but to come back and do it again?

This video may help you understand that. If you like that then look at the slightly newer vid on Melody.
https://youtu.be/cXslJECAp9c
:-)

Benedict wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:32 pm Sure, this isn't finished, but what is the piece trying to make the listener feel? At present, it feels like you want me to feel that you are clever. Not being unkind but letting you know that ego pieces (things written only to be bangin' or fast or loud) have that effect. If that is what you want fine. Tracks you like probably have more than the feel of the performer making ego noise. This is Story and what draws a listener in.
Thank you for this honest opinion. This track/loop was created during a short session. I think that I can make something worthwhile out of it, but got kind of blocked and needed some feedback like yours.
Benedict wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:32 pm If you only have a sample loop that can be a bit harder than making a Variation but you can answer with another part that compliments that first part in rhythm, tone, anything that makes your Scene & Story grow.
The background keys are a sample with glitch effect added on top. I have translated it into MIDI notes and added the bright piano. To achieve a more varied progression I can slice the main sample and try different arrangements. If this does not work I can try many other things as you said yourself. The possibilities are kind of endless in the world of DAWs :).
Benedict wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:32 pm This video may help you understand that. If you like that then look at the slightly newer vid on Melody.
https://youtu.be/cXslJECAp9c
:-)
I really appreciate people who share their knowledge. I will definitely watch the video. Thanks!

drumity wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:21 pm Try another snare.
Do you feel that the snare is too harsh or simply the overall sound of it is just not right to your ears?

Benedict wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:32 pmTo make a full piece you need to create a Scene and some sort of Story or it is simply a jumble of noise with no purpose.
Sometimes "no purpose" is the purpose. If you are writing to tell a story, that's one thing, But, just as art can exist as an exploration of nothing more than form, colour and space; so too music can exist as nothing more than an exploration of sound, noise, form, colour and space.

Return to “Music Cafe”