Any new classic synth emus on the horizon? Moog, Arp, Obie?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BlackWinny wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:04 pm Could it be possible on KVR to talk about old synths without having SYSTEMATICALLY persons who piss on those who ask for emulations of old synths ? It is precisely the purpose of THIS THREAD !

There are tons of threads for everybody on KVR !
It is not possible on KVR to talk about anything without some insecure person questioning their life choices and (in varying degrees) ridiculing you for thinking or doing things differently.

AnX wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:38 pm he's already done some comparisons, months ago
Yes I know but not in the manner that I mentioned.

My point was simply to answer.....
e-crooner wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:02 am I wonder how much of their existing Dune and Legend code they can reuse for other emulations
So basically "who knows other than Rich and Marcin" is the right answer.

What's your point ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

teilo wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:54 pm
BlackWinny wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:04 pm Could it be possible on KVR to talk about old synths without having SYSTEMATICALLY persons who piss on those who ask for emulations of old synths ? It is precisely the purpose of THIS THREAD !

There are tons of threads for everybody on KVR !
It is not possible on KVR to talk about anything without some insecure person questioning their life choices and (in varying degrees) ridiculing you for thinking or doing things differently.
As a matter of fact its not possible anywhere because it looks silly. Basicly KVR became a "shitter" for some people. Thats how KVR threads look like lately :) South park potrais very well whats a shitter is :lol:

"hey today i think i wonder if it would be cool to have an emulation of a analog piano, lets put my thought as a question in a KVR and see if people agree or not" :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbbNf0TEh8g

Teksonik wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:57 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:38 pm he's already done some comparisons, months ago

e-crooner wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:02 am I wonder how much of their existing Dune and Legend code they can reuse for other emulations

What's your point ?
already gave it, and you've already read it.

AnX wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:23 pm
Teksonik wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:57 pm

What's your point ?
already gave it, and you've already read it.
Good now we can both move on to something of real importance. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

recursive one wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:34 pm So i do understand the desire of having a spot on emulation of this or that hardware synth, it is not about better sound it's about having fun and cherishing our nostalgia.
I suppose I don’t really care if the emulation is exactly perfect... but whether it captures the spirit and magic some of the classics have.

I have no nostalgia for classic synths. I didn’t pay any attention to them until later in life. Then I started discovering that there is something beautiful in analog hardware that digital doesn’t have.

When the new crop of quality emulations started coming out (RePro, Legend etc.) it was the sound quality and nuance that I liked. I’ve gone away from being interested in software emulations as they take so much CPU to do the original justice. That brought me to hardware.

I recently bought the Moog Matriarch. The sound is glorious... so nuanced, full and alive and beautifully unpredictable. No software emulation could match it and a credible effort to try would crush the CPU.

The other aspect is the tactile workspace. Using the Matriarch is a joy... all the large well spaced controls, the immediacy and intuitive second nature of adjusting controls without even having to look. Let’s me play and explore with a different mental space.

Now with synths like the Behringer Pro One coming out with such a cheap price, I think it is harder for software emu’s to be developed.

Halonmusic wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:17 am Do we really need another moog emulation? :roll:
I recently bought a new Moog. The Matriarch. As long as Moog is making fresh new synths and people are buying them, why not emulate them?

JoeCat wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:59 am
In any case, been meaning to demo the PolyM (never been disappointed in Xils). That being covered, I think we still could use a solid CS80. Would seem to be in Xils's wheelhouse (hint-hint).

For that matter, whose up for a Cat Octave emu? Chroma Polaris - I remember being blown away by one at; Wags - may have been at Rondo Music on 22! Someone must have mentioned Andromeda...
The problem with a CS-80 Emu is that the hardware interface with the Poly AT, Ribbon controller and hands on interface was very important to the sound. The CS-80 is all about expressiveness and a nuanced tone. An emulation cannot do that part.

Depending on the job they do, the Behringer DS-80 will cover all that and so be a better emulation.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:41 am Now with synths like the Behringer Pro One coming out with such a cheap price, I think it is harder for software emu’s to be developed.
I think not. Hardware is cool but i think for many people 100% ITB workflow is preferable in terms of finishing tracks. As much as I love the sound of my Virus, in an actual track most of the time i'll use a VSTi that sounds close enough or just good enough. On the other hand, knowing that the instrument that I'm using (hardware or software) is the exact instrument that was used on my favourite records or its very accurate sonic replica may be very inspiring in itself. I actually think it's the same for many people.

That's why I think there always be a market for software emulations of classic/popular harware synths and the accuracy of emulation will always matter.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

So... nobody is gonna talk about the new UVI PX P10?..

https://www.uvi.net/px-p10

Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:37 am So... nobody is gonna talk about the new UVI PX P10?..

static samples?

nah

Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:37 am So... nobody is gonna talk about the new UVI PX P10?..

Its a sample library, so i believe thats why :) also Prophet 10 was just a prophet 5 just doubled up :)

So basicly you already have Prophet 10 if you have RePro 5 :)

There is certainly more room for improvements and introduction of new emus.

What the latest and top emus such as Legend and Repro have accomplished could also be brought across to other synths as well. DIVA may benefit from an uplift in it's technology even though it's quite OK but the latest ones have a slight edge.

My King Korg does some things that are outside of what DIVA can do and is quite flexible. The core sound in DIVA is very nice nonetheless but I can't replace the KK so fast.

What about Legend and Repro? Wouldn't the technology advancements allow for a full matrix on these or otherwise allow for something similar to the P08 or P6?

My Kawai's are all very nice too I can't find antything like that in software..heck I can't even get something to match a Microkorg/MS2000 on software really.

Many other emu from the other vendors are still a bit behind (maybe aside from XILS which seems right up there with U-HE and Synpase). They could certainly all repackage their stuff into other emus.

The list goes on..

Tarkus, the emulation of MS2000 from Superwave is quite close to my own MS2000b hardware. Not perfect, but close enough to recall it rather well. And it is compatible with all the MIDI messages from my MS2000b.
:)

Of course Superwave doesn't run in the same league as TAL, Synapse, U-He and Xils, but it deserves to be mentioned, the value for money being an excellent argument for his stuff for people with not a big wallet.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Why not, it seems the market is still there.
Everyone likes another flavor.
For me personally the software modular P900 is still the king and i even like to use it also more as a simple Minimoog as using specific modeled software for it where my favorite would be Moog Model D app followed by Synapse The Legend.
Repro is fantastic as well and i have a dozen other good emulations but again for me (and that is of course just my personal meaning) P900 is better as hardware in many cases for me and i doubt any software could beat it for me in the next 10 years as well when i think about analog sounds.
The one software synth i get the most organic feeling while playing with it.
Otherwise i‘m really more interested in new things like Alchemy 3 or so :)
Use just whatever you like, create stuff and do not wait for anything better....

Return to “Instruments”