Looking for a cheap, good, weird, cool, effects pedal for synthesizers.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MeneerJansen wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:34 pm Cheap and cool for a synth? A Small Stone from Electro-Harmonix (the Behringer VP1 clone sounds exactly the same).

Or the Zoom MS-70CDR like somebody else said (also contains a fairly good clone of the Small Stone). But you din't like the MS-70. If the MS-70 isn't cheap and versatile enough then I'm afraid noting will please you...
What about aesthetic things? Like lights, etc.?.

that all depends what you're in to.
eg i might go for some cool star wars lamp, or other scifi related.

cheap battery powered fairy lights, can get plain white bulbs or even the halloween ones shaped like pumpkins.

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:40 pm that all depends what you're in to.
eg i might go for some cool star wars lamp, or other scifi related.

cheap battery powered fairy lights, can get plain white bulbs or even the halloween ones shaped like pumpkins.
Any suggestions for good and cheap led tube strip lights?

Amazon

re studio cats : mine is not a studio cat! at least not until he grows out of chewing every cable he sees :hihi:

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:01 pm re studio cats : mine is not a studio cat! at least not until he grows out of chewing every cable he sees :hihi:
Lol, ok.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:54 pm Amazon
Ok, thanks.

Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:48 pm
MeneerJansen wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:34 pm Cheap and cool for a synth? A Small Stone from Electro-Harmonix (the Behringer VP1 clone sounds exactly the same).

Or the Zoom MS-70CDR like somebody else said (also contains a fairly good clone of the Small Stone). But you din't like the MS-70. If the MS-70 isn't cheap and versatile enough then I'm afraid noting will please you...
Sorry, I thought that the topic starter meant effect pedal.

Guitar pedals aren't always suited for synths.
- they usually expect low volume input, impedance may cause trouble too AFAIK.
- they often cut off low frequencies, as guitars usually aim for mids, not bass

Some cheap pedals that work well with synths, in my very limited experience:
- EHX Hot Tubes: an overdrive that works really well with synths - much better than the other ones I've tried
- Digitech Polara: good value, stereo
- EHX BassBalls
I also have a cheap Artec parametric EQ pedal, and a Behringer graphic EQ mini-rack (Behringer FBQ800).
Other pedals I use and like: Rat, Ring Thing, Memory Boy, a cheap digital delay pedal (tc Prophet), 2 digital SourceAudio pedals I got for cheap (drive and modulation).

Not a pedal, but great fun: my used Boss RC-505 looper with built-in (digital?) effects.

I would spend some time with the built in effect before buying any pedal. I tried the DM12 in a store a few years ago and I remember the effect section as high quality and powerful.

Talking about pedals under $100, I don't know anything stereo worth it with the DM12. The Digitech pedals are good but there's some overlap with the DM12 built in effects (for example the Polara is a good reverb pedal, but the reverbs on the DM12 are very good too). Same with Boss pedals... unless you want a specific different flavour, the DM12 already does a lot.

The MS-70, in my opinion, is not that special. Its selling point is the amount of different effects and the possibility to build chains of effects, but in my opinion the quality of the effects is not that great. It can be useful (I bought one a few months ago and I'm keeping it, despite having better effects in my setup), but it doesn't make me "wow".
Also, one of the biggest drawbacks is the lack of midi control, so you can't reasonably perform changes while you're playing, it's more a on-off type of effect. I'm not even sure it receives midi clock through usb... :|

Under $100, you may find some good mono overdrive/distortion pedals... maybe it could be worth getting some, if you like distorted synth sounds. I would wait in this case, though: if it was a 303-like synth, I would immediately get a distortion and a delay or reverb, but not with a DM12 (especially with that good built in effect section).

If I had to spend money, I would look into the DM12 manual to see if there are "hidden parameters" which I would like to control over midi and, if that is possible, then I would buy a midi controller to be able to change them quickly while playing... I would probably look at something with standard midi ports, not just usb, unless I were to always work with a computer.
Anyway, I would spend some time with the synth before buying a midi controller, in order to get the sense of what I really need; I wouldn't buy anything straight away...

Just my opinion, of course!
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

MeneerJansen wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:46 pm
Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Sorry, I thought that the topic starter meant effect pedal.
Sorry, I think I sent that on accident, I think it was meant for someone else, I forgot now.

sin night wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:16 pm I would spend some time with the built in effect before buying any pedal. I tried the DM12 in a store a few years ago and I remember the effect section as high quality and powerful.

Talking about pedals under $100, I don't know anything stereo worth it with the DM12. The Digitech pedals are good but there's some overlap with the DM12 built in effects (for example the Polara is a good reverb pedal, but the reverbs on the DM12 are very good too). Same with Boss pedals... unless you want a specific different flavour, the DM12 already does a lot.

The MS-70, in my opinion, is not that special. Its selling point is the amount of different effects and the possibility to build chains of effects, but in my opinion the quality of the effects is not that great. It can be useful (I bought one a few months ago and I'm keeping it, despite having better effects in my setup), but it doesn't make me "wow".
Also, one of the biggest drawbacks is the lack of midi control, so you can't reasonably perform changes while you're playing, it's more a on-off type of effect. I'm not even sure it receives midi clock through usb... :|

Under $100, you may find some good mono overdrive/distortion pedals... maybe it could be worth getting some, if you like distorted synth sounds. I would wait in this case, though: if it was a 303-like synth, I would immediately get a distortion and a delay or reverb, but not with a DM12 (especially with that good built in effect section).

If I had to spend money, I would look into the DM12 manual to see if there are "hidden parameters" which I would like to control over midi and, if that is possible, then I would buy a midi controller to be able to change them quickly while playing... I would probably look at something with standard midi ports, not just usb, unless I were to always work with a computer.
Anyway, I would spend some time with the synth before buying a midi controller, in order to get the sense of what I really need; I wouldn't buy anything straight away...

Just my opinion, of course!
Ok, thanks!

sin night wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:16 pm [...]
The MS-70, in my opinion, is not that special. Its selling point is the amount of different effects and the possibility to build chains of effects, but in my opinion the quality of the effects is not that great. [...]
I have that effect pedal (Zoom MS-70) and I agree with you. For me personally, as an effect for synths, good reverb is the most important. Do you know a good cheap reverb pedal for synths? I'm not looking for something that adds a lot of it's own things to my synth like some of the Eventide pedals. They make every synth sound like an Eventide. Behringer is known for its copies so might the DR600 be any good?

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:01 pm re studio cats : mine is not a studio cat! at least not until he grows out of chewing every cable he sees :hihi:
No real reason for this, just thought I'd show you this cool old organ. It was my dad's grandma's or something. Apparently it was made in the late 70s-early 80s, I had only just looked it up yesterday/ last night, there seems to not be very much Information about it, oof.

Here. Oof. I'll also add a picture of the Yamaha. Apparently it's from 2002, or something like that. The Organ is a Kawai Electro Chord Bass ii, and the Keyboard a Yamaha Portable Grand DGX-202. Oof.

I never tried the DR600, so I can't comment.
I'm not really into pedals either; I have a few, but most of them are analog and not really cheap, so I don't have any good suggestion in this case.
Maybe have a look at the Digitech Polara (there are some demo with synths on youtube, I think it's a nice pedal), or to Boss or TC products (I never tried their reverbs, though). They are more expensive than that Behringer pedal, though.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”