2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wasn't going to (as I have Plaits in my modular), but I git a cheap offer on an Arturia MikroFreak and its now sat in my studio :D

I have to say I really like it, I get on with the touch keyboard and the CV out is great with the modular.The sounds are superb, I sort of new what to expect with having Plaits, but the filter and sequencer make the Freak like 84hp of Eurorack along with it!

I have been using it with Adaptaverb and I am getting some amazing PADS with that touch modulation. What a great board for the price....highly reccomended!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I got this Erica Fusion Delay in the charity auction and I recorded my first few minutes with it.
https://www.3amnoise.net/drum_ugly.wav

I clipped my inputs in places but I think it sounds great. If you are looking for clean repeats, it doesn't do that... but if you are looking for a howling mad person, this is that mad person. It covers a lot of the bases that the A-188-1 did for me but the tube drive takes it a lot further. Fusion Delay stereo out into QPAS stereo input is magical for super wide drones.

Just got an Arturia Drumbrute delivered. I must say, I really like the sound and I think it has been given some not really justified bad raps from some people out there.

Just received Mackie 802 VLZ 4 mixer. As apparently I need one to record all the audio I want.

So many expenses this year :dog:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DSM03 arrived last night (from the charity auction) and I've had a little time to play with it.

It's basically Karplus-Strong in a module, with a few other applications. There's a noise generator with an AD envelope, which unfortunately can't be continuously sustained without retriggering it, and an audio input. The delay can go long enough for rapid echoes, short enough for relatively high-pitched K-S synthesis, and tracks 1V/octave pretty accurately without pitch slew. I think there could have been a lot more feedback gain though, to keep those longer echoes going, and especially to compensate for filter resonance which really seems to put a damper on things.

I've got two Rings, Mimeophon, Supercell, Filter8 and Ripples, so this module's place in my setup is a little weird. But I've had fun with it so far despite its limitations, and it inspired a new track. So I plan to stick with it at least until the SynthTech E520 ships.

I have a series of gigs lined up for which I will be tracking solo piano and possibly violin.
I have a few mics but only a fraction of what I had when I was doing more freelance work.
I picked up a matched pair of AKG C414 XLIIs. This was my favorite condensor for piano back then and I'm stoked to try some new (new to me, anyway) stereo and M/S techniques. I may also get an AEA R84 or N8. Depends on whether I'll be doing more of this kind of work going forward.

I ordered a Culture Vulture... this is my first foray into high-end tube gear. I guess I can no longer say...

:hihi:

justin3am wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:08 pm I have a series of gigs lined up for which I will be tracking solo piano and possibly violin.
I have a few mics but only a fraction of what I had when I was doing more freelance work.
I picked up a matched pair of AKG C414 XLIIs. This was my favorite condensor for piano back then and I'm stoked to try some new (new to me, anyway) stereo and M/S techniques. I may also get an AEA R84 or N8. Depends on whether I'll be doing more of this kind of work going forward.

I ordered a Culture Vulture... this is my first foray into high-end tube gear. I guess I can no longer say...
:tu:
I had a pair of originals back in the early 1980's... sold about 1985/6... sold most of my gear back then and got out of music...
went diving (SCUBA instuctor) for a complete change of life...

Had to get out of the madness of touring rockNroll... ;)

Still have my KM54 though>>> :love:

Nice one with the Culture Vulture... :tu:

I had a C414 B/ULS before. It was a great mic but I think it might have been a bit harsher in the high-end compared to the XLIIs but it was still an excellent mic for acoustic instruments. The early models with the brass CK12 capsule were magic. We had at least two of those at the studio where I worked.

That Neumann KM54 is a beauty, hold on to it. My step-dad worked at a radio station near Case Western in the '70s and while he couldn't specifically remember much of the equipment he used, he knew names like Neumann and Telefunken. He said he had some mics, a mixer and a reel-to-reel in storage before he met my mom and me, but ended up selling the contents of the storage space when he moved to California. :dog:

justin3am wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:31 pm I had a C414 B/ULS before. It was a great mic but I think it might have been a bit harsher in the high-end compared to the XLIIs but it was still an excellent mic for acoustic instruments. The early models with the brass CK12 capsule were magic. We had at least two of those at the studio where I worked.

That Neumann KM54 is a beauty, hold on to it. My step-dad worked at a radio station near Case Western in the '70s and while he couldn't specifically remember much of the equipment he used, he knew names like Neumann and Telefunken. He said he had some mics, a mixer and a reel-to-reel in storage before he met my mom and me, but ended up selling the contents of the storage space when he moved to California. :dog:
My 414 I bought second hand from a studio I worked in that went bust.. I also bought a pair of Neve 2254 from them and other kit, (all sold for profit but yeah.. would love to have them now) and the KM54 was ex DECCA studios... sold when they all went digital for CDs... hahaha... I also had a KM53 but sold it after a few months for 10 X what I paid... but now look at the price...

ah yes... dad had a few bits... "does Neumann and Telefunken mean any thing to you son"? >>> :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

foosnark wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:20 pm DSM03 arrived last night (from the charity auction) and I've had a little time to play with it.

It's basically Karplus-Strong in a module, with a few other applications. There's a noise generator with an AD envelope, which unfortunately can't be continuously sustained without retriggering it, and an audio input. The delay can go long enough for rapid echoes, short enough for relatively high-pitched K-S synthesis, and tracks 1V/octave pretty accurately without pitch slew. I think there could have been a lot more feedback gain though, to keep those longer echoes going, and especially to compensate for filter resonance which really seems to put a damper on things.
I've quiet a complex patch going at the moment so only had a cursory play... but along the way
had this going on.. it is now in my patch.. and works well...
This is just a snippet .. the first few seconds are just the DSM03... I got 2 sounds out of it.. simple kinda drum and a bass... then the some of the rest of the patch comes in... needs a bit of sync tightening.. I think I had one of my sequencers out ( a 2x 8 step/ or 1 x 16.. in 2x8.. but 1 doing 8 steps, the other 5 steps)
Have not quiet got to grips with the res... bit quirky.. but quirky can be cool.

https://soundcloud.com/toonertik/dsm03

The cheapest guitar strap and expression pedals (M-Audio) ever.

Try modulating DSM03's feedback tuning at audio rates (through an attenuator). Crazy stuff. It's adding a whole dimension of noisy goodness to Hertz Donut mk3...

I am still hunting for a good midi controller, 61 keys at least, but with good aftertouch, and of course the traditional Midi in out thru options. Also, not to heavy to be.

respect

=Michael=

I like samplers, so I needed another.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”