Trance Synth Design (basic question)

How to make that sound...
BorderPatrol101
KVRer
6 posts since 6 Nov, 2019

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:55 am

hey all. first post here.
I just wanted to ask a basic question - how can I add more depth or "fatness" to my synth using some basic sound design or perhaps some FX? (inc. a bus etc)
thanks for the help

chk071
KVRAF
22238 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Trance Synth Design (basic question)

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:01 am

What exactly are you lookin for? "Depth" and "fatness" can be meaningful in a context, but, stand pretty alone by themselves.

Maybe you can post some sound example of what you are aiming for, and of what you have achieve, and which you think might be improved.

CHOOS
KVRist
319 posts since 3 Nov, 2010

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:19 am

Layers
Chorus/Reverb/Delay
Distortion
Compression
Other FX and tuning the synth sound

Layers
-When you have a supersaw in 1 synth you have the detune and spread set to an amount. In some synths you can set a second OSC to a different level of detune and spread but not in all synths.
So doing that in a second synth which will also give a slightly different timbre and mixing together can give it a pleasant depth.
-Combine that with another layer transposed one octave up and/or down (using filters to get the range you want) and at different volume levels.
-Using another sound layer altogether (blending supersaw with keys or whatever)
-Also break up a sound in that a Lead Bass can be broken up into one synth for the subbass or bass and the other layers for the rest above that frequency level.

Chorus/Reverb/Delay
The reason I put these together is cause they all use the same input sound and create new layers of that sound. Which all fatten up the sound (again filter these to use only the frequency ranges you need added to and filter out muddiness and unpleasant ranges that you don't want building up with your original sound) Use sends for all individually (more work but it pays off)

Distortion
Distorrion adds harmonics thereby making things sound fatter/crunchier/etc/etc/etc
and reducing dynamic range as well

Compression
There more compressed (which you can take too far) the easier it is to set it "right" in the mix

Other FX and tuning the synth sound
-Things like OTT can give clarity and punch.
-Giving the synth sound a bit of plucky-ness with a filter of a little pitch decay to punch through the mix so your ears pick up the sound it's associated with it more easily.
and any other FX you can think of

Good Luck

ReboundAudio
KVRist
123 posts since 20 Jan, 2019 from Germany

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:54 pm

Please never use compression on detuned leads.
It doesn't make any sense to compress leads.
It's OK for basic sounds such as basslines or kicks but never for wide Supersaws or stuff like that.
*** Intel I9 9900X / Asus Prime X299-A / 32 GB DDR 4 / NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 / Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 ***
*** Win 10 Pro 64 Bit - Ableton Live 10.1 64bit ***

DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
3378 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:26 am

Layering, nothing can replace layering. Start with mixing each layer individually, the sum of them will just sound better.
Please never use compression on detuned leads.
It doesn't make any sense to compress leads.
It's OK for basic sounds such as basslines or kicks but never for wide Supersaws or stuff like that.
I would also say that compressing leads is a bad idea. It only makes sense to use subtle multiband compression or expansion to tweak dynamics. But do not compress them hard - the lead must stand above the rest, and this is achieved by high dynamics.

The "depth" is a difficult topic, usually related to reverb. For sure do NOT put different reverb on each layer, it will only create mud. An easy way to avoid overdoing reverb is to use sidechain on it.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

BorderPatrol101
KVRer
6 posts since 6 Nov, 2019

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:54 am

thanks 4 the help folks, I appreciate those tips & tricks, going to use it asap

Return to “Sound Design”