Guitar amp for home recording

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Noodlist wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:32 am
donkey tugger wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:02 am I'm sure it's very nice, but I could never have one, as in the back of my mind I'd always be worrying that I'd bought something with a name that's really pronounced as, 'buggerer'.
Could always get a Messy Bogey.
mine is a real SOB :hihi:

had my first boogie sob in the 80's, looked like this

got this one 13 years ago and did some cosmetic mods with the grate

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:02 am
The Noodlist wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:16 am Bugera G5 Infinium
I'm sure it's very nice, but I could never have one, as in the back of my mind I'd always be worrying that I'd bought something with a name that's really pronounced as, 'buggerer'.
Because you know that one day the conversation will involve you saying that you plugged your instrument into a buggerer...

kvotchin wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:19 am So, hoping to record electric guitar via an amp, but at home, without (generally speaking) the ability to go really loud.

Is there such a beast as a tube amp in particular (I prefer them), that can do nice clean and excellent drive . . . all at low to medium dB?
I would advise on of the following two methods: Using a load box with IRs like the two notes Torpedo (if you happen to like IRs) or using a isolation cabinet like the Grossman cab: https://grossmann-audio.de/en/

Either way you can crank up any amp to the maximum without annoying the neighbors.
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
― Arthur C. Clarke
https://www.forward-audio.com

I am using the Blackstar HT-5R MkII. It is a small valve amp with great sound and it has a USB audio output. What I really appreciate is the different options for American or British overdrive and that it is able to be played extremely loud, quit or through headphones and still sounds great. The reverb sounds great with my acoustic guitar, in case you're into that.

Thanks so much, guys. Lots of good info!

Many things to consider, but that’s better than where I was at.

i´d go the simple and cheap way and say boss katana mk1 or mk2. the mk2 has more effects, the mk1 is hilariously cheap on the second hand markets. both are sounding great, if u know what your doing. if you go even the cheaper way try the little joyo bantamps, atm 5 models, or the joyo mjolnir for casual valve-gas syndroms.

Tweed Champ clone. The Champ being a prolific studio/recording amp. Classic tones at low volumes. Not so much bells and whistles, but a studio staple.
Fame JTA-05 Sweet Baby Combo (AKA Joyo)
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

For my tastes, I rely on a tube preamp for clean and drive sounds, and the power amp for distortion. So if you just want clean/drive sounds a tube guitar preamp with decent speaker emulation may suit. I’d recommend a Blackstar pedal, such as the HT-Dual. I’ve had one for years and it’s my go to. It takes pedals well and I’ve even sometimes added an EHX muff on the speaker out for stupid distortion.

I use an audio isolator (Orchid Electronics) on the speaker out. Not totally needed but I’d recommend to avoid hassle when using with multiple mixers, interfaces etc.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

kvotchin wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:19 am So...Is there such a beast as a tube amp in particular (I prefer them), that can do nice clean and excellent drive . . . all at low to medium dB?
no, there isn't

SS can using built-in modeling(Roland Cube/YamahaTHR-series/Line6
best of luck
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

There are some pretty good small modeling amps that would work well for miking up - would agree with something like the Roland Cube, or even the more recent modeling amps from Fender.

yeah Forgotten, my Roland sounds great mic-d up
but at low volume; the room comes more into play. You need a good-sounding room to record(well) at low levels
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I've been using the line out on an Orange OC20 ... it has a cab sim in the line/headphone out. Sounds really good to me.

Mister Natural wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:21 pm yeah Forgotten, my Roland sounds great mic-d up
but at low volume; the room comes more into play. You need a good-sounding room to record(well) at low levels
indeed, but what if you get a gig? better to have the possibility of the mic'ed up option too.
or maybe your neighbours go on holiday and you want to rawk! :band:

Mister Natural wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:21 pm yeah Forgotten, my Roland sounds great mic-d up
There’s always the option of making a tent over the amp with a heavy blanket when you’re recording quietly (although that often means you might need to add something back to the audio to give it some room character).

Forgotten wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:59 pm
There’s always the option of making a tent over the amp with a heavy blanket when you’re recording quietly (although that often means you might need to add something back to the audio to give it some room character).
dont you dare post that hink pic!

Return to “Guitars”