ReFx Nexus 3 (N3) Finally here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

v1o wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:39 am
Ploki wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:01 pm why does nexus get so much hate and omnisphere so much praise? literally the same kind of software, one targeted at cinematic and one at EDM, but both are preset-surfer romplers, not "synths" in the manner of, being a synth.
It's because Omnisphere is expensive and has no demo or trial, the vast majority of people out there cannot try it to form an opinion. Honestly the only people who talk about Omnisphere online are a loud minority that like it like a religious cult. But I know people that bought Omnisphere, and immediately didn't like the sounds, but they're not the type to post on forums to tell the world about the disappointment of their blind purchase.
No, it's because people don't seem to understand that Omnisphere is a synth. You can take away all samples and what you're left with is a full fledged synth. Not something you can say about Nexus.

steve.lindqvist wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:51 am The disappearance of the dongle amazes me completely. I would have bet my life that Mr. Hartmann would never say goodbye to the dongle if you look at the often paranoid behavior of the company. This is going to be really exciting!
I just hope that my investment is secure and that in 3 months not every YouTube kid has access to the same tools for which I paid huge sums...
You can't have both, that's for sure. Either you have the dongle, which is, like, the most secure copy protection you can get, or, you have a serial, and the kids will warez it. Unless there's some more sophisticated mechanism involved, which i assume.

I hope that they have used their own, hopefully safe system (see u-he, Parawave, Tone2, ...). The worst thing is that the loyal customer now pays for an update, which removes the secure copy protection, so that everyone else can use it in the near future. In other words: the loyal customers pay for the fact that the software can soon be used by the rest of the world (pure speculation, but unfortunately also fact of most software products in the past).
But maybe I'm just paranoid myself... :hihi:

Ploki wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:01 pm why does nexus get so much hate and omnisphere so much praise? literally the same kind of software, one targeted at cinematic and one at EDM, but both are preset-surfer romplers, not "synths" in the manner of, being a synth.
It's because Omnisphere is expensive and has no demo or trial, the vast majority of people out there cannot try it to form an opinion. Honestly the only people who talk about Omnisphere online are a loud minority that like it like a religious cult. But I know people that bought Omnisphere, and immediately didn't like the sounds, but they're not the type to post on forums to tell the world about the disappointment of their blind purchase.
I don’t understand how can someone don’t like the sounds in Omnisphere. If you don’t like a sound, you can deeply customize to change the sounds, or try the 14 000 patches to find sounds you like, or get third-party libraries that have a lot of diversity, or import your own samples to make the sounds that you like.

Rivanni wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:57 am
No, it's because people don't seem to understand that Omnisphere is a synth. You can take away all samples and what you're left with is a full fledged synth. Not something you can say about Nexus.
No. There are better synthesisers than Omnisphere for cheaper prices. The main selling point of Omnisphere is the included sound library and sample content (not the synth engine). The problem is that Omnisphere has no demo.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Ryan99 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:50 am
I don’t understand how can someone don’t like the sounds in Omnisphere. If you don’t like a sound, you can deeply customize to change the sounds, or try the 14 000 patches to find sounds you like, or get third-party libraries that have a lot of diversity, or import your own samples to make the sounds that you like.
Well that's the thing, people say Omnisphere sounds amazing but you can't demo it for yourself, to me that's a clear sign that the developer wants to hide behind the hype for an overpriced piece of software. 14,000 patches that you need to customise to find even useable doesn't sound like a good investment to me. And buying a synth for the sole purpose of purchasing 3rd party libraries is not something I would do.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I suggest that you watch some walkthrough videos of what Omnisphere can do. You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about.

msvs wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:56 am
So if I spent $1000 and a new guy just bought Nexus 2, he should get $50 discount because- why exactly?
because of the time frame. If you buy the Iphone 12 and on the next days the Iphone 13 comes out, the vendor will swap it usually for the newer model. If you go there with your old Iphone 3G, you wont get anything. Quite normal, Sometimes I really dont know if some KVR guys live on the same planet like the rest of us. :help:
I just don't get this analogy...you're talking about trading in an older model. The reality is we're all trading in the current version of the software. By its very nature, it makes sense that the longer someone has had Nexus the more they've invested in it in terms of buying expansions (which let's face it can add up to a significant amount). Can you not see why us long term users feel aggrieved at your decision to charge more for the upgrade which essentially kills any loyalty to your product?

Do you have examples where what you described was applied by a company?

Can you not see why us long term users feel aggrieved at your decision to charge more for the upgrade which essentially kills any loyalty to your product?
You bought it. You were using it for years. What is your problem now? You can't stand that someone will get it cheaper?
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Personally, I was fine with the usb elicenser - you fit it and forget it. I hope this new copy protection isn't a cpu system hog which needs to run in the background and 'calls home' to their servers every x days. Knowing how paranoid (for good reason) refx have been in the past with security, I'm a bit worried. Anyone who has adobe cloud on their system knows what I'm talking about.

It makes me laugh when people get so passionate and refuse to use a brilliant tool like nexus because it uses a dongle, if only my life problems were so small :D

in the meantime i start to dislike windows 10 more and more... it starts to f**k up even when you dont update and it worked before. e.g. i updated my system 2 months ago and didnt update and it was running well 1 month then it started to make sound pops etc. even without updating anything. i got this even with other client pcs where a system starts to f**k around with a printer, with word etc. it is like windows silently changes something and you NEED to update, and even after updates it is always not sure if it solves the probs or gets new ones :D. what a bullshit. i didnt have that with win7 in the past where you had more freedom with updates.

so yeah a dongle is even now less of a problem than the os itself. i plan to switch to MAC maybe but i dunno how stable it is compared to win10.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Ploki wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:21 pm hey, it's not my fault they made omnisphere into what it is. Could've been great.
It is great and you mis-judge it after admitting elsewhere you know nothing about it.

Solid argument, very worthwhile posts.

Anyway, enjoy N3 you Nexus folks, who'd have thought eh?

Ryan99 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:15 am I suggest that you watch some walkthrough videos of what Omnisphere can do. You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about.
What exactly is it that I don't know? Be specific and factual. There is need for me to watch videos I have access to a copy.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

wondering why they didn't give out more info, considering the launch is right around the corner. gimmeee more info :)

Return to “Instruments”