ReFx Nexus 3 (N3) Finally here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

KenjiDeVries wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:40 pm
FigBug wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:37 pm
KenjiDeVries wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:25 pm Biggest question: when will I ever be able to change my email address or password (!) in a refx account?
https://refx.com/support/#1.1

https://refx.com/support/#1.6
Thanks. Changing the password must be new. Until recently it has sent me the password that was given me with the automatic account creation without any possibility to change it.
I changed my email address a few times because I kept buying packs with different email accounts, forgetting which I'd used previous. He was always very helpful at sorting that.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

MikeCallon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:22 am
msvs wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:56 am
So if I spent $1000 and a new guy just bought Nexus 2, he should get $50 discount because- why exactly?
because of the time frame. If you buy the Iphone 12 and on the next days the Iphone 13 comes out, the vendor will swap it usually for the newer model. If you go there with your old Iphone 3G, you wont get anything. Quite normal, Sometimes I really dont know if some KVR guys live on the same planet like the rest of us. :help:
I just don't get this analogy...you're talking about trading in an older model. The reality is we're all trading in the current version of the software. By its very nature, it makes sense that the longer someone has had Nexus the more they've invested in it in terms of buying expansions (which let's face it can add up to a significant amount). Can you not see why us long term users feel aggrieved at your decision to charge more for the upgrade which essentially kills any loyalty to your product?
I can’t relate to that. As a long-time Nexus user, I am even very willing to pay money for an update. I would even pay the update price only for a high-resolution interface, because that is all I want since years.

I don't understand this free mentality at all and wonder where it comes from? I can't go to the car dealer with my 10 year old diesel-engined vehicle and expect him to rebuild it into an electric-car for free?

I'm a loyal customer, yes. I left a lot of money at reFx - but I always got an immediate service in return for it. I paid for the expansions (equivalent) and not for an update in the distant future.
So it doesn't make any sense to moan about an update price. Besides, nobody forced me to buy a lot of expansion in the past.

New functions, new content and even if only the the new GUI and small adaptations to new operating systems, the developers also cost money, why should they have worked for free?
That doesn't make any sense at least not according to my economic understanding.

Well, other developers can offer free upgrades. Last prominent example is U-he with Uhbik 2. Maybe they don't need the money? :D
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

mladi wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:54 pm Well, other developers can offer free upgrades. Last prominent example is U-he with Uhbik 2. Maybe they don't need the money? :D
Nexus2 was released in 2008. 11 years before charging for an update is 10 years more than Waves...

Holy shnikies! So, I'll be getting Nexus 3 then...
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Are they planning on releasing more information about the new features, or is that it?!? 🤔
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:58 pm Are they planning on releasing more information about the new features, or is that it?!? 🤔
I guess that they will add new features day by day till November 29, at least prices and then the new copy protection scheme were added in steps.

Ryan99 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:53 pm
mladi wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:54 pm Well, other developers can offer free upgrades. Last prominent example is U-he with Uhbik 2. Maybe they don't need the money? :D
Nexus2 was released in 2008. 11 years before charging for an update is 10 years more than Waves...
Indeed and all updates and OS maintenances till 2.7.4 were free of charge.
And now over to Cubase 10.5 to pay $59 ($99 in the past) again for a .5 update... every year...

steve.lindqvist wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:10 pm
And now over to Cubase 10.5 to pay $99 again for a .5 update... every year...
Where do you see $99? Here is 59 as usual.. :D

Also mention other devs who also charge for upgrades only prove that U-he rocks and nothinge else!
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

mladi wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:16 pm Also mention other devs who also charge for upgrades only prove that U-he rocks and nothinge else!
As do Vengeance and Spectrasonics with their free updates, which could be passed off as new versions. Some developers are just more generous than others :tu:

Still, if there's an updated browser in nexus, shut up and take my money :party:

mladi wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:16 pm
steve.lindqvist wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:10 pm
And now over to Cubase 10.5 to pay $99 again for a .5 update... every year...
Where do you see $99? Here is 59 as usual.. :D

Also mention other devs who also charge for upgrades only prove that U-he rocks and nothinge else!
Sure, but his employees need also something to eat. The Hive2 update is not free of charge and the Zebra3 update will be charged. Although significantly lower update prices compared to other companies.

m-ac wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:31 pm As do Vengeance and Spectrasonics with their free updates, which could be passed off as new versions. Some developers are just more generous than others :tu:
Not quite correct. Avenger 2.0 will be charged (full version number). I also payed twice for upgrades to Spectrasonics. From Atmosphere to Omnisphere v1 and then from Omnisphere v1 to v2 (which is over $150 just from v1 to v2!).

But I completely agree on this point: Just give me that damn HiDPI GUI and take my money!

Well, i have Zebra2 and HZ so the update to Zebra3 will be free. I also got Repro for free (i just did not remember why).. ..Anyway, like a guy said before some devs are more generous than others (or don't need to eat) i guess..

steve.lindqvist wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:24 pm
MikeCallon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:22 am
msvs wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:56 am
So if I spent $1000 and a new guy just bought Nexus 2, he should get $50 discount because- why exactly?
because of the time frame. If you buy the Iphone 12 and on the next days the Iphone 13 comes out, the vendor will swap it usually for the newer model. If you go there with your old Iphone 3G, you wont get anything. Quite normal, Sometimes I really dont know if some KVR guys live on the same planet like the rest of us. :help:
I just don't get this analogy...you're talking about trading in an older model. The reality is we're all trading in the current version of the software. By its very nature, it makes sense that the longer someone has had Nexus the more they've invested in it in terms of buying expansions (which let's face it can add up to a significant amount). Can you not see why us long term users feel aggrieved at your decision to charge more for the upgrade which essentially kills any loyalty to your product?
I can’t relate to that. As a long-time Nexus user, I am even very willing to pay money for an update. I would even pay the update price only for a high-resolution interface, because that is all I want since years.

I don't understand this free mentality at all and wonder where it comes from? I can't go to the car dealer with my 10 year old diesel-engined vehicle and expect him to rebuild it into an electric-car for free?

I'm a loyal customer, yes. I left a lot of money at reFx - but I always got an immediate service in return for it. I paid for the expansions (equivalent) and not for an update in the distant future.
So it doesn't make any sense to moan about an update price. Besides, nobody forced me to buy a lot of expansion in the past.

New functions, new content and even if only the the new GUI and small adaptations to new operating systems, the developers also cost money, why should they have worked for free?
That doesn't make any sense at least not according to my economic understanding.
Did I mention anything about expecting the upgrade for free? Of course I'm not expecting a free upgrade (although the true value of the upgrade will only be known when full details are released).

I was trying to make the point (obviously poorly) that msvs's analogy (and yours) of comparing trading in a very old car/phone vs one that was bought a few months ago doesn't make any sense. Of course hardware of any kind degrades with time and older models are obviously not worth as much as newer ones. With software actually the opposite case is true.

With the Nexus 3 upgrade, everybody who's upgrading has the same make/model they are upgrading from, regardless of age - we're all on Nexus 2 right? The 'worth' of the trade in, unlike the hardware example, is completely unrelated to age, but more the value of what was purchased in the first place. So it makes no sense to me that a user who spent $1,000 7 months ago gets a worse deal than someone who purchased 6 months ago and spent a quarter of that.

Whether you agree or not, that's the point I was trying to make - I'm not asking for, or expecting, a free upgrade, just fairness to the many long time users who have invested heavily in ReFx.

steve.lindqvist wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:40 pm
m-ac wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:31 pm As do Vengeance and Spectrasonics with their free updates, which could be passed off as new versions. Some developers are just more generous than others :tu:
Not quite correct. Avenger 2.0 will be charged (full version number). I also payed twice for upgrades to Spectrasonics. From Atmosphere to Omnisphere v1 and then from Omnisphere v1 to v2 (which is over $150 just from v1 to v2!).

But I completely agree on this point: Just give me that damn HiDPI GUI and take my money!
You misunderstood my point, I meant omni 2.5 and avenger 1.5 were/are free, when the devs could have easily charged for them and named them v3.0 etc.

Return to “Instruments”