Help! UK Hard Trance Bass

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys!

First post on this forum but long time reader.

I've been trying for ages to find a good tutorial for making a solid UK Hard Trance bass sound. Unfortunately, the definition of "Hard Trance" seems to differ massively across the world. I get thousands of hits when I search it, but none seem to match the specific style I'm looking for.

Can anyone provide any insight? I've attached 2 example tracks here, I'm looking for the first one in particular.

https://soundcloud.com/unit-one-recordi ... coms-remix

https://soundcloud.com/unit-one-recordi ... un-with-it

Any help would be massively appreciated! :tu:

Bump

For that bass you'll need a square-wave with low-pass filter envelope, turn up some attack and decay and maybe a little resonance.

Play around with EQ and some distrotion.

Thanks mate.

I've tried your advice but don't really know where to start.

What VST would you recommend?

With Sylenth1 it is easy, as it has some dirty distortion.
Keep the things simple, 2 osc. one is sine wave and other is saw, sine should be lower by 1 octave from the saw, add LP filter a bit, then apply the distortion, you can't really get the same bass as in above example as it is made up from two layers I believe. But you can achieve some good nasty hardstyle basses.

I would rather take a square, doesn't sound like a sawbass... you can make the bass with every synth. I made it with polysynth from bitwig. ...you can use the free synth1, sylenth, zebra, hive, massive ...anything ;)

Thanks for your help, but I'm really terrible at making sounds from scratch.

I've tried your tips but can't get anything remotely similar.

Are you aware of any tutorials on Youtube that make similar sounds?

Hi there, that bass is saw wave not square lol. Just seen this posted to the artists wall(that you used the example links of). The bass is just a saw thats been side chained off the kick and had some attack, little decay and a tad of distortion. There is no specific way of making the wuab style bass you mean, you can either synth it from a saw as said or reverse a kick(like hardstyle) and chop the end(beginning of the kick) which leaves you with the slap and then again sidechain it to the kick drum. An 808 kick makes a fun sound(arne l2 style).

My name is jamie kenny/dj katastrophe on facebook if you need any other help, i run one of the labels “Coms” is featured on :)

Does anyone know how to make the synth lead from the coms tune “run with it”?? Can’t seem to get it only slightly close :( any help or presets greatly appreciated!!!

The bass really is just a saw. low pass filter it a bit. scoop out some mid with eq around 600Hz add bit of distortion and you're done
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

There's pitch modulation and filter modulation going on and a high-pass filter is used on a simple saw.

Going to bed now but let me know if you need more help

Ill check in again tomrorrow

Thank you but this still doesn’t get close :( it’s a very gritty sound and I’ve messed about with voices of unison and distortion to try and get width aswell as the aggressiveness but can’t seem to get it

i can assure you there's no unison nor width.

ok i got pretty close

you need a vst with 3 oscillators.
1 = Saw
2 = Saw One octave up
3 = Sine One octave and 7 semitones up.

low pass it to where you like it.

Add this in an eq
Capture.PNG
Add some subtle distortion too taste. try different distortions which all give some different characters to the sound.

That's it
Let me know how you get on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Sound Design”