turn animated spoken word into flat monotone

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

XComposer wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:27 pm You are welcome! The fact is that "making flat" an animated speech involves two components: making the intonation (pitch) flatter, and making the rhythms more regular (with an even, regular spacing between the syllables). The first problem is solved very well with Trax, but I have no idea on how to solve the second (assuming that you are interested in doing also that second part of the process).
pitch is enough for the current project - and looks like that is now solved. :)

fairlyclose wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:57 am Not sure really where one puts this question but I want to take a recording of an animated spoken work radio announcer's voice and make it flat, monotone and uninteresting. I have tried a number of fx but they have fairly terrible artefacts. eg Pitchmap from Zynnaptiq fails on this task whereas it is fine on instruments like violins. Melodyne is a bit artificial sounding tho better than Pitchmap. I haven't figured out a fast workflow for meldoyne yet tho. Anything else that might do? Maybe Autotune, but that is outside my budget and I am not even sure that could what I want any easier or better than Melodyne.
Run the audio through the Pope plugin :hihi:

fairlyclose wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:18 pm Trax is certainly the winner so far - cleaner more natural solution than the other options I have tried. thanks for that suggestion
You're welcome. I just happened to test trax not long ago so it immediately came to mind when I saw your post. I didn't test it for what you are trying to do but everything else seemed pretty good. Good luck on your search.

Notheorem729 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:23 am
fairlyclose wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:18 pm Trax is certainly the winner so far - cleaner more natural solution than the other options I have tried. thanks for that suggestion
You're welcome. I just happened to test trax not long ago so it immediately came to mind when I saw your post. I didn't test it for what you are trying to do but everything else seemed pretty good. Good luck on your search.
thanks - nce you set it to the type of voice it is just one dial all the way to the left - pretty simple. You can tweak to try and optimise but the auto setting gets you 99% of the way there. Different voice types need different settings but that is about it.
Melodyne is also pretty good but not as good - although I have yet to fiddle with settings to refine the result. Also Zynaptiq Morph with a single note sidechain input is not bad, similar to Izotope Vocal Synth. But Trax is the most natural
$400 is a lot though so with a bit of luck they will have a great Black Friday sale

BaronWaterpark wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:36 pm Try Soundtoys Little AlterBoy on Robot mode with the pitch all the way down.
That was my first thought but I don't think it will sound very natural.

I think this may be a somewhat impossible task.
One thing to try though would be a few of these tools with mild settings in series. So the zynaptiq into melodyne into maybe little alter boy or something. But all of them just doing a little bit of work.
Lots of experimenting that can be done in the vein.

EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Im gonna go ahead and be that asshole and suggest using a microphone and the old vocal cords. Way more natural results, way faster and easier, and arguably cheaper than many software solutions. It seems dead simple compared to some of the convoluted-with-meh-results suggestions. But clearly I'm missing something here...

funky lime wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:03 am Im gonna go ahead and be that asshole and suggest using a microphone and the old vocal cords. Way more natural results, way faster and easier, and arguably cheaper than many software solutions. It seems dead simple compared to some of the convoluted-with-meh-results suggestions. But clearly I'm missing something here...
you are missing the bit where I want to "a recording of an animated spoken word radio announcer's voice" and thinking instead i want any old flat monotone voice

Halonmusic wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:24 pm Image Line Newtone perhaps?

https://splice.com/plugins/25475-newton ... image-line
should be similar to Melodyne I think - which is "okay" but not "okay enough" for this job - great for other stuff, but Trax is much better here

fairlyclose wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 am

should be similar to Melodyne I think - which is "okay" but not "okay enough" for this job - great for other stuff, but Trax is much better here
Alright. :tu: You set with Trax then?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:04 am

Yep, still exploring the demo and hoping they have a 99% BF sale :)

imagine line new tone is the easiest way. Make all words on the same monotone key, remove all pitch modulation fine tune and center, use the variation and center buttons.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

fairlyclose wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:06 am
Halonmusic wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:04 am

Yep, still exploring the demo and hoping they have a 99% BF sale :)
:tu:
Touch The Universe wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:49 am imagine line new tone is the easiest way. Make all words on the same monotone key, remove all pitch modulation fine tune and center, use the variation and center buttons.
Yes i've done that quite a bit myself :)

Can you show a demo of trax vs newtone?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:49 am imagine line new tone is the easiest way. Make all words on the same monotone key, remove all pitch modulation fine tune and center, use the variation and center buttons.
i have not used newtone - is it better than Melodyne as I can do exactly that in Melodyne

Return to “Effects”