Favorite 80's kits from Battery?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pulled up Battery 4 for the first time in a long time. Was wondering what are your favorite kits for 80's inspired music that you like to use? Any recommendations among the tons of kits available?

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Good question, i'm interested too. :) 80's and 90's.

What music genre do you guys looking for?

Synthwave.
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.

I’m fond of the Zenhiser 80s drum samples.

http://www.zenhiser.com/genre/80s-sampl ... ounds.html

Actually I was hoping there was something within the hundreds of kits already there in Battery 4. There's got to be a few. Not sure I have the patience to go through them all.

DevonB wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:48 pm Actually I was hoping there was something within the hundreds of kits already there in Battery 4. There's got to be a few. Not sure I have the patience to go through them all.
Huh? How else are you going to learn what you have if you don't bother to listen?

psynical wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:27 am
DevonB wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:48 pm Actually I was hoping there was something within the hundreds of kits already there in Battery 4. There's got to be a few. Not sure I have the patience to go through them all.
Huh? How else are you going to learn what you have if you don't bother to listen?
I was asking for people's favorites. Not sure why you chose to give a snarky answer for a simple question?

Devon

As discussed in a different thread, the 80s is a hugely diverse area, where 1980 sounded utterly different to 1989. In general look at the analogue drum kit section - 606, 707 & 727, 808, 909, DMX, Drumtrax, Linn Drum etc are there as specific kits built round some of the most iconic drum machines. There are some in there that are more general 80s - Bottle Poppin, Miami Vice etc. There's a few important kits missing imo, the CR-78 (nothing says 1980 more than that), the DR-55 etc, but there are third party libraries available that cover the missing bits and pieces, and some of these in more depth. The Linn is one that could be made to sound so different from the factory defaults that some really iconic sounds are totally missing from the Battery library (that very tuned-down rim shot that Prince made his own, for example).

Incidentally, this categorisation of "analogue drum kit" is a bit bizarre. Again, the Linn Drum was famously based on samples so that makes it Digital in my book, so was the 707 & 727 (the poor mans' Linn). More fundamentally, the term "analogue drum kit" sounds to me like, well, a drum kit. You know, the physical drums on stands and everything. Anyway, the way NI use it here seems to mean "early era electronic drum kits", so that's your broad starting point.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:00 am
Incidentally, this categorisation of "analogue drum kit" is a bit bizarre. Again, the Linn Drum was famously based on samples so that makes it Digital in my book, so was the 707 & 727 (the poor mans' Linn). More fundamentally, the term "analogue drum kit" sounds to me like, well, a drum kit. You know, the physical drums on stands and everything. Anyway, the way NI use it here seems to mean "early era electronic drum kits", so that's your broad starting point.
I believe that Linn Drum and other drum machines from that time are considered analogue for the fact that while the sound sources were digital samples, the rest of the machine was made of analogue circuitry.

A real drum kit would be considered "acoustic" rather than "analogue" since the terms analogue and digital refer to electronic design. A musical instrument can be thought of as acoustic, electric or electronic.

DevonB wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:57 pm Pulled up Battery 4 for the first time in a long time. Was wondering what are your favorite kits for 80's inspired music that you like to use? Any recommendations among the tons of kits available?

Devon
When I use Battery 4 (which is not often i have to admit), Disco Neu Kit is my go-to for synthwave/80's. LinnDrum Kit is ok too.
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:00 am As discussed in a different thread, the 80s is a hugely diverse area, where 1980 sounded utterly different to 1989. In general look at the analogue drum kit section - 606, 707 & 727, 808, 909, DMX, Drumtrax, Linn Drum etc are there as specific kits built round some of the most iconic drum machines. There are some in there that are more general 80s - Bottle Poppin, Miami Vice etc. There's a few important kits missing imo, the CR-78 (nothing says 1980 more than that), the DR-55 etc, but there are third party libraries available that cover the missing bits and pieces, and some of these in more depth. The Linn is one that could be made to sound so different from the factory defaults that some really iconic sounds are totally missing from the Battery library (that very tuned-down rim shot that Prince made his own, for example).

:tu:

Now at least i have a starting point to know what i should look for. :)

I think for 90s sounding stuff, look at Korg Electribe type sounds.

https://electribrary.electribers.com/el ... tory--korg
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

To me nothing says 80's Drums more than the Roland R-5 and R-8. Although I never power it up any more I still have my R-5 and have thought of sampling it but there are already a ton of R-5 samples out there so I don't see the point.

I don't know if Battery has any R-5/8 samples in its factory content but look for Phil Collins or Genesis as key words to get that iconic 80's Gated drum sound. :tu:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/503 ... 980s-music
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thanks guys! I did find the Linndrum kit, which sounded nice. I also checked out BottlePoppin and MiamiVice as well, which was ok. I will check out Disco Neu kit as I haven't looked at that one yet.

Did find it strange that I wasn't seeing all the classic Roland drum machines in there, for sure.

Devon

Return to “Instruments”